Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1625 1626 [1627] 1628 1629 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3055818 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #24390 on: September 11, 2015, 01:33:29 pm »

Is Legend of Galactic Heroes any good?
A lot of people seem to think it's pretty good, yeah. Near as I've noticed it's often mentioned as one of the better pieces of epic sci-fi in existence, anime or not.

I would say it's Game of Thrones in space, just with more modern-ish politics (aka autocracy/dictatorship vs democracy) and all problems involved in those, plus gratuitous battles between huge space fleets.

Has been made in early 90's so graphically it might be a lil jarring to watch sometimes.

The only deal breaker the anime has mind you... Is that it is probably around the slowest anime you ever seen...

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24391 on: September 11, 2015, 02:24:00 pm »

I personally never thought it was thats slow, because something actually happens each episode or you learn plot-relevant backstory. But true, it's not fights end to end.

Imagine watching a war documetary that also explores the political issues and how the war affects various people's lives, but in space and with lasers.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24392 on: September 11, 2015, 02:28:44 pm »

Well it isn't the lack of fights I am referring to.

It has the "Classic anime" pacing and keeps that pacing no matter how much actually occurs. So people talk slower, walk slower, and when things develop they develop slowly.

If someone is dead they need to first establish that they are dead, state the significance of their death, say what they need to do now that they are dead, object or reaffirm it, then actually do it, then state how it worked out for them.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24393 on: September 11, 2015, 03:41:43 pm »

For extra bonus points, something like two/three pages later the guy is trying to smuggle the plant's seeds into his pockets to take the surface and see if they'll grow up there. Elf lady pretty rightfully tosses them in a fire.

Just the seeds, mind. I'm starting to get the feeling she's going to regret not throwing the guy in the fire, too.
I'd totally take the seed and give it to someone to else to plant it above ground too...

As for the poisoned guy... Considering that people die all the time and can be resurrected.  (This being only the 2nd level of the dungeon... and the stated reasons for others to actually go out and find bodies for ressing...)
Why care that much?  It still didn't change the end result...  >.>
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24394 on: September 11, 2015, 03:49:04 pm »

Presumably for similar reasons we don't casually skin off bits of people despite it eventually getting better with little to no substantial consequence. A cavalier attitude in the face of suffering's pretty uncool. S'pretty possible that they, if the corpse they found earlier was any indication, may have been overstating the ubiquity of resurrection in the setting, too.

You'll also note that the elf was pretty worried about the healing bit afterwards (if somewhat distracted, which is kinda' understandable given what she's going through), and neither the poisoned one nor their friend were exactly happy. Honestly, both armor dude and the dunobo are showing pretty much every sign of being somewhat significantly insane compared to, well. Everyone in that world.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24395 on: September 11, 2015, 06:43:13 pm »

Is Legend of Galactic Heroes any good?
It's the best anime so I guess so.
^

It's pretty much the space opera, regardless of medium. The only things that might turn you away are: not liking space opera (heresy) and (as Neo suggested) not being patient enough to watch something that doesn't have super fightan robutts in every episode.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24396 on: September 11, 2015, 07:09:08 pm »

Is Star Wars a space opera? If so, why isn't it considered the space opera instead of LoGH?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24397 on: September 11, 2015, 07:59:47 pm »

For a true "star wars", it wasn't about magical powers of good and evil. Cast away the sabers and the force and religious cults. Instead you have two governments armed to the teeth with soldiers and ships.

Space operas is all I ever breathed in anime. It wasn't about fan-service or school girls, It was Votoms, Captain Harlock, and Battleship Yamato. Nothing can compared it to them these days. Gundam is always some whiny kid in the reins of a giant bot Stu. Macross put too much emphasis for the love Triangles (Macross Plus is still the best for any fighting scenes).

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24398 on: September 11, 2015, 08:15:20 pm »

Is Star Wars a space opera? If so, why isn't it considered the space opera instead of LoGH?

Star Wars is a fantasy series set in space and mostly about action scenes and vague philosophical concepts, while Legend of the Galactic Heroes is a serious, expansive, rather grounded series focused on politics, logistics, grand strategy and inter-personal relationships between different people and various factions.

One clearly has more curb appeal than the other, but the latter is much more detailed and is comparable in scope and pacing to old epics like the Iliad or Romance of the Three Kingdoms; telling a tale about two sides of a war and treating neither as black or white, evil or good.

Imagine if in Star Wars the Empire were not simply evil, but were presented as sympathetic human beings doing what they think is right, protecting the ones they care about, and acting as actual people (joking, laughing, having friendships and romances).

Another part of it is that most of the characters admit that both their sides are heavily flawed and that the opposition has some merit in how they think, but everyone has their own opinion of how to fix the problems.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24399 on: September 11, 2015, 08:21:22 pm »

Kinda' like imagining the star wars movies instead chronicled the Thrawn trilogy :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #24400 on: September 11, 2015, 08:52:13 pm »

-snip-
They're both space operas.

Trying to define the space opera is a little hard because the two iconic western space operas (Star Wars and Star Trek) that basically defined the genre for mainstream American audiences have both fallen into decline.  Star Wars put a sour taste in everyone's mouth with the prequels and the other incidents GL caused over the years; Star Trek lost its progressive edge.  The genre in general has fallen on hard times IMO.  I can think of some good recent examples (Guardians of the Galaxy, Firefly, Mass Effect) but I think its kind of telling that all three of them are in different mediums and two of them are ~10 years old.  Maybe if GotG 2 and the new Star Wars movies turn out to be good we'll get a resurgence.

No comment on LoGH, because I haven't watched it and while it sounds great if I wanted a doorstopper in my life I'd finish GoT (damn you Feast for Crows!).
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24401 on: September 12, 2015, 02:19:55 am »

Inexplicably started reading Dungeon, the one with the boobs. Really hate to channel Neo here, but it has a surprisingly neat premise that's then almost entirely wasted giving the MC wtfhax power jumps for no reason and vast harems of literal goddesses. On the other hand, he's bland but considerably less insufferable than I was expecting, being basically your standard naive hero type. The harem thing is also handled much more naturally than you might think, though it still more or less boils down to everyone and their mother, daughter, and hot twin sister deciding they have a crush on him and wanting to give him things while he remains vaguely oblivious and noncommittal.

Anyway, the basic premise of the setting is that adventurers join guilds led by gods, which then manage their stat growth and general wellbeing. It's a cool idea, but again, isn't really leveraged or explored well, as far as I've read. Oh well.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #24402 on: September 12, 2015, 02:28:10 am »

That second fight against the minotaur was cool, though.
Well, in the anime, I don't have much of a leaning towards either, I just go for what is easiest to get to.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24403 on: September 12, 2015, 02:33:04 am »

I tried to read the LNs of that, but I had to drop the series about two or three paragraphs into the first volume. Maybe it was just the translator, but it read like a primary schooler's description of a comic book full of sound effects.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24404 on: September 12, 2015, 04:11:23 am »

Dungeon unfortunately never picks up Ironyowl from what I saw as the focus goes more and more towards the Harem and "basic shonen" premise and more away from setting building.

And while his "Uberhax get more powerful skill" starts off as a somewhat intelligent way to advance him through the plot in a short amount of time (The Ippo method) it later devolves into him just flat out being broken.

Haijime no Ippo does the "Uberhax get more powerful skill" aspect rather well. It is used as a way for our main character to advance through the stages of boxing rather quickly while also allowing him to learn the ins and outs of the setting along with us. While Ippo's punch is the tied for strongest in the entire series, there is more to a fight then just one super strong punch.

Which is sort of what Dungeon really should have gone for more fervently. It establishes that it takes years for someone to gain a single level and really talented people could maybe do it in half that amount of time. So we have a main character who has managed to do it in two... So have him go through the ranks and floors and have us see this sort of world he is in. Sure keep him as "really amazing for his level" but as we can see that can only take you so far. Ohh and remove his 'limit break'... Allow his power levels to open up the setting.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 04:53:46 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 1625 1626 [1627] 1628 1629 ... 2193