Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1624 1625 [1626] 1627 1628 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3055825 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #24375 on: September 10, 2015, 10:55:29 pm »

Recommendation: Manga - Dungeon Meshi

Its about cooking and eating dungeon monsters.

Harem check!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24376 on: September 10, 2015, 11:06:05 pm »

... on one hand, zangi's description peaked my interest. On the other hand, the description reads like the intro to a vore fetish series, which, uh. yeeeaaaaah. Imouto got ate by a dragon, is being slowly digested. I can see the inside shots with the tentacley bits from here ;_;

Will give a looksee, though.

E: Okay, having gone through most of the first chapter, I'll tentatively offer recommendation as well. If nothing else, the dwarf dude is kinda' awesome, and it's significantly less squicky than the initial conceit would lend itself to. Also @neo, only very faint hints of any romance, thus far!

E2: Though I am still getting an only somewhat subtle fetish vibe from what I'm reading, so, uh...

E3: Okay, on one hand, yeeeaaaaah. Kinda' what I'm talking about. On the other hand,
Spoiler: wow (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 11:33:18 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Jarvis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24377 on: September 10, 2015, 11:36:50 pm »

Finished the last episode of Azumanga Daioh earlier tonight. Of the slice of life animes I've seen it's definitely the one I enjoyed the most.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #24378 on: September 10, 2015, 11:37:34 pm »

E3: Okay, on one hand, yeeeaaaaah. Kinda' what I'm talking about. On the other hand,
Spoiler: wow (click to show/hide)
Well, that was horrifying.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24379 on: September 10, 2015, 11:46:31 pm »

For extra bonus points, something like two/three pages later the guy is trying to smuggle the plant's seeds into his pockets to take the surface and see if they'll grow up there. Elf lady pretty rightfully tosses them in a fire.

Just the seeds, mind. I'm starting to get the feeling she's going to regret not throwing the guy in the fire, too.
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24380 on: September 10, 2015, 11:57:51 pm »

It reminds me a lot of Valkyria Chronicles... the game not the anime.

Where in the game (the GOOD version of the story) Welkin was a weirdo with his head in the clouds, but was in fact incredibly intelligent. Thus a lot of what Welkin and Alisa's relationship was, was about mutual respect. (In the anime... they super downplay Welkin's weirdness)

So I am sure later she will respect him.

By the by don't watch the anime of Valkyria Chronicles... Just watch a Letsplay of the game... much more fulfilling.

Though actually... You should watch the anime after seeing the game. If only so you understand the process I shall call "Animization". Where something is made less interesting by amplifying anime tropes in the thing being adapted.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 12:01:27 am by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24381 on: September 11, 2015, 12:12:22 am »

All I can really say is that the dwarven dungeon hobo continues to be pretty consistently amazing. Loved the bit where some random guy was poisoned and dying and dunobo was just like, "No, no, we should wait overnight so the antidote will taste better!" Either beautifully sociopathic (proper dwarf loik, mind) or incredibly deadpan trolling. Really, for a character that, as near as I've been able to tell, has only had one facial expression since his appearance, the dunobo dwarf is just great.

E: Make that two facial expressions! i'm not entirely sure what to think about the second one >_>
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 12:17:17 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24382 on: September 11, 2015, 01:30:44 am »

how2ieatlivingarmor
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24383 on: September 11, 2015, 01:43:54 am »

Thanks Sky Wizards Academy... you might be a terrible anime but atleast I got one good quote

"Sure Anime characters seem like very hard workers, but in the end you find out that they had some sort of extra talent or advantage"

Dang straight!

The number of genuine "I worked really hard and got good" protagonists are few. Naruto, The Mightiest Disciple, Ippo, all Gundam Protagonists ever just have something special about them (In order: Possessed, Super Talent, Super Talent, Genetic Alteration)

Mind you... Legend of Galactic Heroes one of the main characters was a genuine hard worker and while he was smart the key wasn't so much that he was a prodigy beyond all reason... But as I've said I praise that anime for never taking sides in who is allowed to be awesome. The hard worker, the born amazing, and the old grizzled strategist are all legitimate with no one winning out over the other on that basis.

As well in all fairness to Haijime No Ippo... One of the themes of the show is that frankly... You can't become a great boxer by hard work alone. Anyone standing at the top MUST have some sort of super talent in addition. There are many people who were just hard workers who lost because the opponent had supernatural punching strength.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 01:48:13 am by Neonivek »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24384 on: September 11, 2015, 08:05:56 am »

Is Legend of Galactic Heroes any good?

Does anyone know when the rest of Fairy Tail 2014 is gonna get dubbed? How good is the Japanese dub?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24385 on: September 11, 2015, 08:10:59 am »

I want to recommend a hidden gem I've found: Mai Mai Miracle.

If you looked at it, you'd swear up and down it's by Ghibli, but it's by Madhouse and is probably one of the most convincing imitations of Ghibli's style I've seen. It's about two girls in 1950's era rural Japan becoming friends and just having the sweetest childhood ever. And the main character can see 1000 years into the past and has some spiritual connection with a long dead member of Japanese royalty, it's pretty cool.

In fact, it's so cool I'm surprised I just stumbled over it by accident. A very worthy watch.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24386 on: September 11, 2015, 08:13:31 am »

A lot of people seem to think it's pretty good, yeah. Near as I've noticed it's often mentioned as one of the better pieces of epic sci-fi in existence, anime or not.
Ask not!
Ask!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24387 on: September 11, 2015, 08:17:12 am »

A lot of people seem to think it's pretty good, yeah. Near as I've noticed it's often mentioned as one of the better pieces of epic sci-fi in existence, anime or not.

I would say it's Game of Thrones in space, just with more modern-ish politics (aka autocracy/dictatorship vs democracy) and all problems involved in those, plus gratuitous battles between huge space fleets.

Has been made in early 90's so graphically it might be a lil jarring to watch sometimes.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24388 on: September 11, 2015, 11:03:43 am »

Oh and I started watching the Great Teacher Onizuka live action series. Actually outrageously cool. Onizuka's actor has an enormous adam's apple for such a thin Japanese guy.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #24389 on: September 11, 2015, 12:49:15 pm »

It's the best anime so I guess so.
Pages: 1 ... 1624 1625 [1626] 1627 1628 ... 2193