Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1589 1590 [1591] 1592 1593 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3060966 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #23850 on: August 09, 2015, 07:12:58 pm »

Rokka no Yuusha has been pretty decent. That and Overlord are all I'm watching for currently airing stuff.

Gonna need something to replace Ippo soon. 52/75.

There are two movies and a couple more seasons after episode 75, so just over 125 episodes worth of Ippo.

Other than that, I think my 2nd favorite sports anime after Ippo was Yowamushi Pedal. It's about cycling (what a surprise).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 07:14:55 pm by Reelya »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23851 on: August 09, 2015, 08:01:59 pm »

I can't speak for Rewrite, but the same creators did Kanon, Air, Clannad, Little Busters. And writers from that group were responsible for the animes Sola and Angel Beats. All these shows have a recognizable "Key" feeling, So I'm guessing Rewrite would have a lot in common with these other things.
Considering i am in ep.6 of Charlotte everything quoted is correct.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23852 on: August 09, 2015, 10:48:54 pm »

Hey, I remember talking about gate last time :V

Something about worm rot, heh.

E: Speaking of that, though, how much is being cut out of the anime? I remember being curious about how much of a difference there was going to be between the animated and print versions.
Well, violence is obviously toned down (no one getting torn to shreds on screen by Apache gunfire or giant halberds so far), no rape or implication of such in sight (yet?), US president is kinda' like Donald Trump.

Watchable by a wider audience so far. We'll see it shows its unpleasant sides from the original source later I guess.
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #23853 on: August 10, 2015, 12:18:26 am »

Well, violence is obviously toned down (no one getting torn to shreds on screen by Apache gunfire

or giant halberds so far),

no rape or implication of such in sight (yet?)
Sounds like I should be reading instead of watching.

Spoiler: Super Minor Spoilers? (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 12:20:01 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23854 on: August 10, 2015, 12:25:42 am »

... magical girl? Has the anime already reached the murderloli or is it... I think there was another magic-y thing? Pretty sure. Lore-whatsits thingjigger. It's been a bit since I read any of the manga. Hard to remember that one, since as near as I can recall her character is half-way identical to like fifty other anime characters, right down to the character design :V

But nah, with the manga the rape is pretty straight up and only a step or two from outright "Here come the mosaics" explicit. Doesn't happen to the any of the main characters (at least up to the point I reached), but *shrugs*

Though yeah, if you're looking for more explicit gore and nudity and whatnot, you'd want the manga. I'd probably say stick with the anime, though, depending on how badly they ramp up the fanservice bits in compensation for... well, removing the more explicit fanservice bits. And the gore, and the rape, and the etc. Since toning all that down would probably leave room to make a more thematically et al consistent work.

E: Oh, it has reached the murderloli. Hell, I'd almost suggest reading the manga just so you can give a report on the contrast, because if all she did was was beat some dudes up there is a hell of a character change going on there :V

E2: Pretty sure you're talking about the orgasming berserker I mentioned way back, anyway.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 12:30:42 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #23855 on: August 10, 2015, 02:49:14 am »

Murderloli is at least kinda magical, I think. Not the spell-slinging type, but I gather from the Exposition Dialogue that souls pass through her to reach the afterlife/whatever, which happens to be quite... pleasurable. She definitely gets a kick out of killing stuff. Dunno if it's toned down from the manga because I have yet to read it.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #23856 on: August 10, 2015, 05:57:34 am »

Also, the supernatural stuff takes a lot more of a center stage than any of their other things I've seen or read.
but did the image of crucified christ flash in your mind

Visual Novel: Rewrite. Get it, somehow, anyhow. Do NOT spoil yourself. If anyone else here has played it, you'd know why.
Rewrite and Angel Beats are the only Key things I've enjoyed some stuff about.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:24:09 am by ToonyMan »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #23857 on: August 10, 2015, 06:23:33 am »

double post

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23858 on: August 10, 2015, 06:35:12 am »

The image of crucified christ is always in my mind.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23859 on: August 10, 2015, 06:52:47 am »

Sounds like I should be reading instead of watching.

It still is pretty entertaining...
http://webmup.com/e99ee/vid.webm

Demigoddesses' wrecking havoc usually is. Barely any drop of blood though.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:54:30 am by Kobold Troubadour »
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23860 on: August 10, 2015, 10:06:11 am »

Higurashi follows quite a similar format to the Key games I think (except it's good)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23861 on: August 10, 2015, 11:13:49 am »

Yup, on wikipedia it says that Higurashi's main writer dissected Kanon to see why people liked it. It's the build-up in each arc where they start with happy days, then shit happens and there's the mood change. You notice this pretty clearly in the Higurashi anime, where each arc starts with the fun school club activities. Those bits are quite the mood whiplash, and they don't really work that well on their own, but they're needed to emphasize the horror parts. It makes the emotional or scary parts much more intense when you're zapped out of the happy stuff by contrast. Especially when you don't know exactly when the idyllic daily life stuff is about to meet Plot.

One show that didn't work for me because they didn't do this build up or contrast was Saikano. Saikano is all depressing, all the time. And as a result some scenes which should be quite powerful are kinda meh, because you're like "yeah, it's depressing, i get it already ...".
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 11:17:36 am by Reelya »

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #23862 on: August 10, 2015, 05:19:02 pm »

Higurashi follows quite a similar format to the Key games I think (except it's good)

I'll say that Clannad realy doesn't deserve whatever praise it gets (I found it quite mediocre) and I haven't seen/read Air, but if you're implying that either Little Busters or Rewrite is bad then I'm afraid we're going to have to have a talk.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23863 on: August 10, 2015, 06:32:39 pm »

Well, all the people cite Clannad: After Story as the good part. But it's really just the final arc of After Story that's any good. You have to sit through 30+ episodes of fairly dull stuff to get there. There were some good moments here and there, but Clannad doing "comedy" ... those are the really bad bits.

I enjoyed Kanon much more than Clannad actually. It's only half the length too, or only 1/4 the length if you watch the 2002 version. I'm kind of on the fence with the two versions. More episodes doesn't always equal better. The 2002 version just gets to the point quicker.

For Air, I actually liked the movie version more than the TV version. I'd say the Air: The Movie is a great example of how to do a condensation in a way that actually works. The visual novel and TV version have ... issues (more so in the TV version since many supernatural events from the VN occur without any explanation as to why things are happening), so the movie creators (not the same people who did the TV version) basically went "how can we make this actually make sense as a movie", and totally dropped every subplot and theme that got in the way of just telling the core story, and then they basically rewrote all the dialogue in a way that actually makes sense to tell that core story and has decent pacing.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:43:01 pm by Reelya »

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #23864 on: August 10, 2015, 08:12:07 pm »

I've never watched the anime, I've actually played the VNs.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.
Pages: 1 ... 1589 1590 [1591] 1592 1593 ... 2193