Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1588 1589 [1590] 1591 1592 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3060904 times)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #23835 on: August 08, 2015, 03:10:18 am »

Quote from: Neon
You know... Dragon Ball Super keeps trying to hit home that the god of destruction Berus isn't good or evil and that he is absolutely necessary.

From what I saw of him in the first movie he didn't seem that evil, just operating on a blue/orange morality or something similar to it. At the very minimum he's less evil than Frieza or Babidi, and arguably less than Saiyan Saga Vegeta as well.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23836 on: August 08, 2015, 04:07:11 am »

Anyone know of any new English-dubbed shonen I can watch?

Metric tons... but I guess it depends what your into.

Though to admit I can't think of any good one I watched lately.

How new we talking about?
Anything that looks like it came out of this millennium. Early 2000s is out but late 2000s is fine. (TTGL, for example.)

From what I saw of him in the first movie he didn't seem that evil, just operating on a blue/orange morality or something similar to it. At the very minimum he's less evil than Frieza or Babidi, and arguably less than Saiyan Saga Vegeta as well.
I never really got that he was evil either, which I really must applaud Dragon Ball Z for achieving. Destroying for him just seems like fighting for the Saiyans.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23837 on: August 08, 2015, 04:10:07 am »

Anyone know of any new English-dubbed shonen I can watch?

Going off dub-only sites:

(1) Heroic Legend of Arslan (aka Arslan Senki).  The dub is up to episode 9, whereas the show is up to episode 18.

(2) Blood Blockade Battlefront (aka Kekkai Sensen), this one is pretty fun

(3) Seraph of the End (aka Owari no Seraph), this is SAO-level action, for good or bad.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 04:18:23 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23838 on: August 08, 2015, 01:30:26 pm »

Quote from: Neon
You know... Dragon Ball Super keeps trying to hit home that the god of destruction Berus isn't good or evil and that he is absolutely necessary.

From the movie it makes sense, heck the first thing he wanted to do when he woke up in the movie is take down the most evil warlord in the galaxy. Him being neutral or even necessary was 100 times easier to swallow in the movie. Yeah he was the god of destruction but he HAD to destroy it was his very nature.

The show though? He falls right into the affluent evil category. He just destroys for even the tiniest slight for no reason other then they bugged him.

But I can't judge the show on what the movie did when the show is, currently, a retelling of the movie.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #23839 on: August 08, 2015, 07:28:20 pm »

Visual Novel: Rewrite. Get it, somehow, anyhow. Do NOT spoil yourself. If anyone else here has played it, you'd know why.
The circle is complete.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #23840 on: August 09, 2015, 02:50:30 am »

That 2001 Metropolis anime is fucking amazing.

It has very little to do with original 1930s film, but still.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #23841 on: August 09, 2015, 03:08:58 am »

Visual Novel: Rewrite. Get it, somehow, anyhow. Do NOT spoil yourself. If anyone else here has played it, you'd know why.
Can we get an indication of what it's about?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23842 on: August 09, 2015, 03:15:54 am »

Ah it's a Key visual novel. Cute girls with super-tear-jerker backstories and big plot twists, I'm imagining. Key stuff is all about trying to get you to blub your eyes out.

A typical Key plot is boy meets girl, they fall in love, girl has terminal illness, girl dies. Though all Key series seem to have a low-key supernatural element to them (i.e. no "powers" but there's some magical secret about the town or the people involved).

And along the way a lot of other tragic girls try and tug at your heart strings. They don't always work of course, I found some arcs in Key adaptations to be really heart-wrenching, but other times it's laying on the tears so thick you just laugh at it.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 03:23:29 am by Reelya »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #23843 on: August 09, 2015, 03:21:19 am »

Oh, okay. I'll add to the "I'm a heartless monster" pile.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23844 on: August 09, 2015, 03:25:36 am »

I can't speak for Rewrite, but the same creators did Kanon, Air, Clannad, Little Busters. And writers from that group were responsible for the animes Sola and Angel Beats. All these shows have a recognizable "Key" feeling, So I'm guessing Rewrite would have a lot in common with these other things.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #23845 on: August 09, 2015, 04:26:56 am »

So I've been watching GATE.
I can get behind this, this is nice, a magical portal opens up in Japan and for once the government doesn't stand around flicking their snot into a bin and mobilises something of an army, absolutely decimating the invading force with something called bullets.
So far it seems to mostly be 'What would happen if you introduced Guns and other weapons technology approaching that time period to a medieval magical fantasy world?', and the answer appears to be really cool stuff.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23846 on: August 09, 2015, 01:58:36 pm »

So I've been watching GATE.
I can get behind this, this is nice, a magical portal opens up in Japan and for once the government doesn't stand around flicking their snot into a bin and mobilises something of an army, absolutely decimating the invading force with something called bullets.
So far it seems to mostly be 'What would happen if you introduced Guns and other weapons technology approaching that time period to a medieval magical fantasy world?', and the answer appears to be really cool stuff.

Gate is literally the only thing I was hyped up to watch from this season, and that is because I read (am reading) the manga. Gate is awesome stuff if you are into military (muh tanks and guns) and like anime girls :) also its alternative history angle is great.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23847 on: August 09, 2015, 02:37:15 pm »

Hey, I remember talking about gate last time :V

Something about worm rot, heh.

E: Speaking of that, though, how much is being cut out of the anime? I remember being curious about how much of a difference there was going to be between the animated and print versions.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 02:55:42 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23848 on: August 09, 2015, 04:45:33 pm »

Finally caught up the April shows ... I don't have so much anime time these days. Man, some good battles recently in the Arslan series.

I'm going to start on the new season soon, so far I'm going to check out at least Gate, Overlord and Chaos Dragon, and will sample a bunch of other stuff. Are there any other new series this season I really should be checking out?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 05:21:49 pm by Reelya »

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #23849 on: August 09, 2015, 05:35:28 pm »

@Orange Wizard: You could, but this is seriously the kind of thing you want to go into spoiled as little as possible. The only thing I'd say is the recommended character route path is Childhood Friend (she's the most boring, doesn't unlock any of the others, and also sets up the most useful backstory) -> Class Pres -> Eyepatch -> Redhead airhead -> Crystal ball. You'll know who each of the things are referring to when necessary.

@Reelya: It's waaaay better than Clannad, but then again I kinda hated Clannad (except for the main girl's dad, he was AWESOME!), and probably a fair bit better than Little Busters too (which I thought was super good but lacking in some parts.)

It was fairly sad, but all but one route had an ending which I felt was fairly happy/good/closure.
To me, Rewrite was less about the sadness (though there was a lot of sadness) and more about the "holy shit" feeling it constantly gives you. It's newer than any of their other stuff that I'm aware of, so the art's high quality (and 1920x1080!)
Also, the supernatural stuff takes a lot more of a center stage than any of their other things I've seen or read.

The circle is complete.
Pages: 1 ... 1588 1589 [1590] 1591 1592 ... 2193