Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1581 1582 [1583] 1584 1585 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061133 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #23730 on: August 03, 2015, 08:14:26 pm »

Or horribly right, depending on how much you dislike harem endings :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #23731 on: August 03, 2015, 08:16:27 pm »

Wasn't that the point of School Days?

I don't know these things, I just started.

I'll probably watch School Days anyone, hopefully the ending isn't as violent and edgy as people tell me.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #23732 on: August 03, 2015, 08:28:22 pm »

You know... I am just waiting for them to fix the problem just by giving her sunscreen.

But I am starting to get it. The fact that she is such a weaksauce vampire is actually... part of the joke.

Wait 'till you meet her dad. 

Also, Jitsu Wa is one of the few manga that does the "Harem" thing 'right' (though according to taste. I find the regular kind fairly amusing, too.) Maybe it's just because all the characters are so unique and hilarious (to me). I also really like the art style, too, though if you take the early art and sit it next to the new stuff it's a huge difference.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23733 on: August 03, 2015, 08:38:29 pm »

Well it is because of several things

1) It doesn't pretend it is a "Everyone has a chance" harem: For those who don't know a "everyone has a chance" harem is where the protagonist can reasonably pick anyone (or at least three characters) in the harem.
2) The characters know it isn't that kind of harem
and
3) The characters are not stereotypes beholden to the typical run... The Tsundere? She is a terrible person and is treated as such. The Ditz? She has a brain but sometimes misses obvious cues (as in she isn't a stupid mindless buffoon)

There is more... but those three alone put it above 80% of the harem animes out there. well ok the first two alone do. But lets go further

4) it is actually funny: Yeah bonus points it is actually funny.
5) The characters aren't unpleasable love interests who ask the main character for things and give nothing back in return.
-Honestly damn shows like this. Carl Squared was actually this and they actually had an episode where the love interest went "Wow, I never realized that this whole time I just make you do everything for me" and they broke up.
6) The Humor doesn't rely entirely on our protagonist being unhappy: Love Hina, Hayate Combat Butler, Baka No Test, Familiar of Zero (DIE!), Goodness there are a lot of harems that do this.
7) All that internal logic you can do towards this show is usually highlighted later for comedy.
8] to expand on 3, the characters are more than their stereotypes. They actually have personalities that don't play out like a paint by numbers. So we have our Frigid Damsel but she actually has an expansive personality beyond that.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 08:40:52 pm by Neonivek »

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #23734 on: August 03, 2015, 08:50:26 pm »

1) He can reasonably pick Class President or Childhood friend, though. Admittedly, in the case of the former she's his old crush and in the case of the latter he's pretty much totally uninterested as far as I remember. What do you mean by "Reasonably", though?
2) I guess that's fair.
3) You mean the childhood friend? Her violence sorta abates as the series goes on as far as I remember. It was mostly played for comedy and tension early on. If by Ditz you mean Class President, yeah, her ditziness also has a very plausible reason. She's actually highly intelligent, it's just that with her personality...
4) It's the funnies manga I've ever read.
5) Addressed later.
6) I'd actually say a good deal of the humor comes form our protagonist actually being happy rather than unhappy, if I remember right.
7) Not really sure what to say here, it's been a while so I can't recall what you mean by this. xD

8) Something I think is nice is vamp girl's accent, it's sooooooooo cute.
9) Another funny thing is that the "Fanservice" stuff is sort of a meta plot element. Have you met the MC's granddaughter yet? If so, you'll know what I mean.

You know, for being my #1 favorite manga of all time, I find it ridiculously hard to actually remember anyone's god damn names. I remember their CHARACTER perfectly well, but the names are just so forgettable.

In HCB the main character's cursed-ness is a huge plot point outside of the humor, to be fair. Also, he's not exactly "happy", but he does seem fairly content. Haven't even seen the other ones.

Please, let your raging hate-boner for FoZ die down a bit. We all know it's really bad, probably.
The circle is complete.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23735 on: August 03, 2015, 08:57:36 pm »

"reasonably" is a fair comment. Almost always in those shows you know that some characters can plausibly end up with the MC and the rest have no shot at all. Most often 2-3 harem girls will get the bulk of the interaction. For example, Shinobu would never realistically have a shot with Keitaro in Love Hina. since there's literally zero hints at any romantic feelings for the entire run of the series. Really, only one or two characters in that show had any real shot whatsoever, but they did drag out a plot later on where Motoko crushed on the hero, but it was unconvincing given the character arcs leading up to it, and it was dropped quickly. It's literally just a one-episode special that wasn't even in the TV broadcast, so can safely be viewed as a "what if?" episode. If you watch the show itself there isn't even a hint that Motoko like Keitaro for the 25 episodes, so it really didn't feel realistic.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 09:06:23 pm by Reelya »

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #23736 on: August 03, 2015, 09:03:09 pm »

If we're talking pure interaction, the MC's time in Jitsu Wa is spread around very evenly. He's really only interested in Vamp girl, and I can't see him with anyone else, personally, but it's not "unreasonable".
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23737 on: August 03, 2015, 09:05:19 pm »

If we're talking pure interaction, the MC's time in Jitsu Wa is spread around very evenly. He's really only interested in Vamp girl, and I can't see him with anyone else, personally, but it's not "unreasonable".

But him ending up with anyone but the Vampire Girl would pretty much be a plot twist, upset, or turn around rather then a natural extension of the current plot.

The way the show is set up it is clear he is getting together with the Vampire Girl and none of the other ones stand a ghost of a chance.

The other girls are what I like to call "Alternate reality pairing" so to speak.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 09:08:01 pm by Neonivek »

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #23738 on: August 03, 2015, 09:08:04 pm »

Plot twists do happen. It'd definitely require a major change in the Manga's tone though, and I'd hate to see that. ('Twould have to undergo Cerebrus syndrome.)
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23739 on: August 03, 2015, 09:09:17 pm »

Plot twists do happen. It'd definitely require a major change in the Manga's tone though, and I'd hate to see that. ('Twould have to undergo Cerebrus syndrome.)

Indeed. Though until then it is not a "Everyone has a chance" anime.

Because "reasonably" he could have fallen inlove with his male best friend... because "reasonably" by the definition your using means "Within the realm of possibility" rather than from a narrative standpoint.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23740 on: August 03, 2015, 09:10:30 pm »

The other girls are what I like to call "Alternate reality pairing" so to speak.
... it's funny you should use that wording in reference to the series in question... *coughs*
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23741 on: August 03, 2015, 09:11:44 pm »

when I said interaction, I'm sort of talking about interactions that can have some romantic development. Casual hanging out or an episode or two focusing on the hero helping one of the girls don't really count, in an ensemble cast it's normal to pad things out with entire episode focusing on one of the side-characters, and since we are seeing things through the MC's eyes then it usually amounts to the MC helping that character out. This sort of thing has about the same level of romantic implications as a Brady Bunch episode.

Plot twsts do happen, but remember that big plot twists in the relationship dynamics of this sort of show would basically steer it into a completely different sub-genre, and that basically never happens.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 09:14:09 pm by Reelya »

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #23742 on: August 03, 2015, 09:12:42 pm »

I really hope this monster girl fad dies down. It was funny and cute once, but ever since the Monster Musume anime pilot it feels like everyone's on the train.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23743 on: August 03, 2015, 09:15:28 pm »

I really hope this monster girl fad dies down. It was funny and cute once, but ever since the Monster Musume anime pilot it feels like everyone's on the train.

To me the problem isn't the fad... it is that nothing great has come out of the woodwork just yet beyond that one anime we are talking about right now (And one... REALLY Ecchi one that I've seen only part of one episode on)

Besides I'd take this current Monster girl fad over the previous "Idol" fad of vapidity.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23744 on: August 03, 2015, 09:15:46 pm »

Monster Musume anime just started a few weeks ago, how much of a fad could it have caused? If anything, Monster Musume got adapted because of the fad, it's not the cause. btw Jitsu and MM both started airing at the same time, so they really did not influence each other.

Going to the mangas, MM started in mid-2012, Jitsu-wa started in Jan 2013. I'd say both are more influence by Rosario to Vampire which started in 2004.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 09:20:37 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1581 1582 [1583] 1584 1585 ... 2193