Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1580 1581 [1582] 1583 1584 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061206 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #23715 on: August 03, 2015, 06:46:37 pm »

I'd like a Spinoff harem where the main character is your typical wimpy guy that women fawn over, but the harem is the cast of Golden Girls.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23716 on: August 03, 2015, 07:06:06 pm »

You know... I am just waiting for them to fix the problem just by giving her sunscreen.

But I am starting to get it. The fact that she is such a weaksauce vampire is actually... part of the joke.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 07:10:58 pm by Neonivek »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23717 on: August 03, 2015, 07:14:21 pm »

(I think there are only three canonical DBZ movies... or four... Both Goku's father movies, Trunks movie, and the Super Saiyan God movie)
Actually, only the first Bardock movie was canon. The second one, Episode of Bardock (the one where he goes back in time and becomes a Super Saiyan), is non-canon. Canonically, he died with the rest of the Saiyans and EoB was there just to give him a reason to go Super Saiyan. It doesn't mean it's bad because of it, but for all intents and purposes it didn't actually happen.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23718 on: August 03, 2015, 07:16:25 pm »

Odd given Akira actually wrote that movie himself.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23719 on: August 03, 2015, 07:18:35 pm »

Been watching Kaichou Wa Maid Sama.
Pretty much my first foray into Romance anime (unless you count Princess Lover, or the Pet of Sakurasou, or nevermind[/sub])
I dunno. It has a different feel. Not sure I really enjoy that particular feel.

There are much better examples than Maid Sama. Kimi ni Todoke for example. Nana, as well but it's less a romance series than it is a drama about characters with fucked up love lives.

The "different feel" is probably because it's a shoujo anime (female demographic, female lead), and the others you watched were based on dating sims or were harem type shows (a romcom with a male lead and one chosen girl, but a house full of other hot girls still counts as harem in my opinion) . i.e. shows for dudes. A good "dude" type romcom might be Toradora.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 07:29:02 pm by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23720 on: August 03, 2015, 07:27:06 pm »

You know... I am just waiting for them to fix the problem just by giving her sunscreen.

But I am starting to get it. The fact that she is such a weaksauce vampire is actually... part of the joke.
... what show are you even talking about?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23721 on: August 03, 2015, 07:29:29 pm »

... what show are you even talking about?

Its a secret

Jitsu wa Watashi wa

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23722 on: August 03, 2015, 07:39:54 pm »

Ah. Yeah, my memory's kinda' shoddy at the moment -- it's been a few months since I read any of the manga, iirc -- but yeah, at the very least young vampires in that setting are... not very impressive. Do think I recall wossname doing some more impressive stuff later on, but by and large she's mostly just human with a couple quirks and a marvelous décolletage. And yeah, her troubles dealing with vampy stuff is part of what's played with for humor.

Big thing to remember about that one is that while there's some actiony bits, and there does exist some combat monsters, it's... not really an action series. It's pretty much a romcom, with some extra bits. So don't really expect anything terribly impressive power wise from... anyone, really.
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23723 on: August 03, 2015, 07:42:03 pm »

I am not very far in it Frumple...

So far there has been exactly 0 action bits. So I quite expect it to be a Romcom.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23724 on: August 03, 2015, 07:48:17 pm »

Well, there you go. Mamzelle vampy hasn't really had a chance to do anything particularly unusual, y'know? Give it time. Some stuff comes up later on, I'm fairly sure. Not much, but... some.
Ask not!
Ask!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23725 on: August 03, 2015, 07:52:07 pm »

Writers occasionally make non-canon works of their own series. This was one of these occasions.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #23726 on: August 03, 2015, 07:54:20 pm »

What'd be interesting is a harem where the protagonist thinks all the girls are into him but in reality are just merely killing each other because of common hatred.

That'd be pretty meta if they put in a weird plot twist near the series end.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #23727 on: August 03, 2015, 08:02:07 pm »

Wasn't that the point of School Days?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23728 on: August 03, 2015, 08:08:29 pm »

Writers occasionally make non-canon works of their own series. This was one of these occasions.
This actually sounds like a hilarious thing to do. "This stuff never happened, but here it is anyway, enjoy!"

What'd be interesting is a harem where the protagonist thinks all the girls are into him but in reality are just merely killing each other because of common hatred.

That'd be pretty meta if they put in a weird plot twist near the series end.
Trouble then is keeping them all together in the first place and not dead. I don't think it's that uncommon for harem members to have their membership be at least initially unrelated to wanting the MCD, though.

Either way, I don't think I'd call a variation on motivation to achieve the same basic setup "meta."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #23729 on: August 03, 2015, 08:09:34 pm »

Wasn't that the point of School Days?
Nah School Days was the story of an attempt at pulling off a Harem ending gone horribly wrong.
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 1580 1581 [1582] 1583 1584 ... 2193