Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1514 1515 [1516] 1517 1518 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3059188 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #22725 on: May 19, 2015, 11:23:53 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sorry for that...

Kaito Jeane just pissed me off... it is the one thing I can't ever forget about that anime.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 11:54:47 pm by Neonivek »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22726 on: May 20, 2015, 01:40:04 am »

Are there many married men with careers in anime? As far as I've seen it usually never comes up unless they're a normalized support structure for the other characters' lack-of-family-ness. Formal, working-for-the-city detectives might be an exception, but even then I don't think it hits anywhere near 50/50.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22727 on: May 20, 2015, 02:42:07 am »

Are there many married men with careers in anime? As far as I've seen it usually never comes up unless they're a normalized support structure for the other characters' lack-of-family-ness. Formal, working-for-the-city detectives might be an exception, but even then I don't think it hits anywhere near 50/50.

The husband in I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying makes money from numerous web blogs. Not sure that counts as a career, but it's the closest I can recall to any (married & male) anime hero having a job, let alone a career.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22728 on: May 20, 2015, 04:35:44 am »

BTW I found this nice little 3 minute short anime for you guys.

Thinking about it, Puella Magi Madoka Magicka had a non-villanized, married career woman who was even looked up to in the main character's mother.

Interestingly, Japanese Macross is less sexist and less xenophobic than the American adaptation "Robotech".
In Macross, the characters come from every continent on the planet (japanese, chinese, europeans, Russians, African-Americans). Whereas in Robotech they're mostly rewritten as American as apple pie. I guess this is excusable because it's a localization, but it loses one of the key things about Macross - that the crew was drawn from across the globe.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 07:08:08 am by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22729 on: May 20, 2015, 05:49:33 am »

I watched 3 eps of Gargantia On The Verdurous Planet, and I had to put it down right there. Just something about it that gets under my skin.

I can't put my finger on it, I just feel disgusted and frustrated with it.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22730 on: May 20, 2015, 06:52:05 am »

Unintended implications are best implications.

I watched 3 eps of Gargantia On The Verdurous Planet, and I had to put it down right there. Just something about it that gets under my skin.

I can't put my finger on it, I just feel disgusted and frustrated with it.
That's interesting. If I were you, I'd probably try to pin down what it was out of curiosity.

Speaking of which, tried watching a few episodes of Nyaruko, but it was kind of blegh. I might give it another try later, but the setup feels underdeveloped and the main character relationship feels bizarre in a bad way.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22731 on: May 20, 2015, 09:23:45 am »

Well let me see:
-Ash Ketchem's Dad
-Yugi Moto's Dad
-The Mighty Sunfighter's Dad
-Ichigo's Dad
-Ichigo's Dad
-Serena's Dad
-ALL the dads in Digimon... period...
-TECHNICALLY the Dad in Prince of Tennis has a job (a Shinto Priest or Monk) AND his Mom has no job.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 09:31:55 am by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22732 on: May 20, 2015, 09:42:20 am »

... Ketchum's dad is... we don't even know who that is. He gets like zero screen time, and we have no idea what he does.

Yugi's is pretty much exactly the same. Conceptually (word of god) he works, but doing what, and where? Zog if anyone knows. Functionally (actually?) zero screen time, the dude could be freaking dead for all anyone actually knows.

Not sure why you've got two ichigo's on there. The bleach one... not married. Widower, and his career is specifically a front. Same with many of the dads in digimon, actually -- divorced or widowed is common in those ones. Digimon's definitely better about it than a lot of things, though.

Tsukino'd definitely work as an example -- he's actually there and has a job the viewer can identify. Chunk of that particular list is iffy at best, though...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22733 on: May 20, 2015, 09:53:21 am »

It was a joke about how common the name Ichigo is in main characters :P

It could have been Ichigo from Tokyo Mew Mew for example.

Also having "Once been married" totally counts... Given the sheer number of mothers in anime who have a dead husband, or husband who doesn't send money, and yet still don't work (In all fairness... Japan is one of those places where this totally can happen mind you. Usually by getting money from the main family)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 10:36:38 am by Neonivek »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #22734 on: May 20, 2015, 10:39:26 am »

Wait, I always figured Yugi was just raised by his grandpa and his parents had some reason or another to not be there. Like dying in an accident. Or losing their souls in a children's card game.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22735 on: May 20, 2015, 10:45:05 am »

Wait, I always figured Yugi was just raised by his grandpa and his parents had some reason or another to not be there. Like dying in an accident. Or losing their souls in a children's card game.

Well in the anime I believe they never mention his parents ONCE... so you are totally correct... except that I believe he is still confirmed to have living parents.

Manga? They are just deadbeat parents and they never appear.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22736 on: May 20, 2015, 12:07:19 pm »

If the wiki's to be believed, yugi's mom actually shows up once or twice in the anime (though one of the appearances was stripped from the english dub for some godsforsaken reason). The father never does, and may have never even been mentioned. Can't even find reference that he actually appeared in the manga in any way, either... the entirety of his existence is basically WoG derived. The mother's marginally more active in the manga than she is in the anime, though. Not quite as deadbeat as the father who probably has fifty kids in other countries or somethin'.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 12:10:54 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22737 on: May 20, 2015, 02:46:09 pm »

Mind you the reason so many dads in animes work over seas is two part
1) To get them out of the way
2) Japan had a lot of bad depressions and so this has actually become common in the childhoods of writers.

Think of this like School Clicks in cartoons... They were accurate when the writers were children...

I think there is one HUGELY unique aspect to Anime and Western Cartoons.

Western Cartoons are sort of dominated by "liberal" ideals so to speak. There is just one lesson to learn. It can get nuanced but otherwise it is the same thing.

While Anime, because the country is divided, actually has multiple lessons. You can get a episode about how "it is good to conform and lose your identity" and about "How it is bad to conform"

Well because the country is divided AND because I THINK Japan has less of a "Think of the children!" attitude.

I guess I find Japan so fascinating because it is both progressive and regressive at the same time in both extremes... relative to America.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 02:51:43 pm by Neonivek »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22738 on: May 20, 2015, 04:48:04 pm »

I'd say that the main reasons of absentee parents in anime come down to something pretty simple:
1) If the show is focusing on characters old enough to be independent, then it's generally assumed that they aren't living with their parents anymore (and thus the parents can be no more than side-characters).
2) If the show is focusing on characters too young to be independent, then it is rather likely to be a "school focused" show, (since that is where the characters will probably be for most of their time and interactions). The parents in most cases aren't going to be at the school, thus preventing them from being much more than side characters.

Either way you end up with parents that aren't really relevant to the story as a whole. This means that oftentimes it just comes down to a gamble of what exactly gets shown in the very slim amount of time that the main characters are home, or whether or not we get a "tragic parent accident" arc happen in the case of independent characters. Heck, even characters we've already mentioned often fit in this way. For example in Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Madoka's mother is on screen for maybe 15 minutes out of the entire 12-episode season, and like 90% of that is her either answering Madoka's questions or worrying about her, and she's one of more concrete examples.

Thus really the only times you are going to get a fair bit of parent characterization is when a show does one of about four things that can bring parents and children in contact with one another as individual characters rather than just "protagonist" and "protagonist's parent". (I was going to put some show examples here, but a fair number of them were significant spoilers so I deferred. :P)
1) The kids became independent on their own, and then go into a business that one or both of their parents were involved in/keeping secrets about.
2) One or both of their parents are immortal/long lived. This often has crossovers with #1.
3) It's a generations show, especially in a sequel style. If you've got a show about the "next generation" the parents are usually already pretty well characterized, which makes it easier to write more using the same details.
4) It's a show about characters right at the verge of independence, and their is a parent/child desires conflict arc.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22739 on: May 20, 2015, 05:15:38 pm »

Kids in anime/manga can't be up to the shenanigans they get into if their parents are around. 
Plus, active parental figure for X main character tends to clash with the story that the author wants to play out.  Since their very presence can change how the story would play out.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 1514 1515 [1516] 1517 1518 ... 2193