Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1513 1514 [1515] 1516 1517 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3059068 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #22710 on: May 18, 2015, 05:30:57 pm »

Can you guys please stop picking fights with Neonivek? It's just so god damn annoying.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #22711 on: May 18, 2015, 05:45:27 pm »

It'd kinda suck if the anime thread got toadhammered.

On another more important topic, can anyone recommend a good martial arts anime/manga? (Not interested in Hajime no Ippo. I'll tell you if I've already seen/read it, otherwise.)
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22712 on: May 18, 2015, 05:46:29 pm »

My friend like Earth's Mightiest Disciple

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #22713 on: May 18, 2015, 05:48:06 pm »

Is that the one with the dude named Kenichi? (AKA History's Strongest Disciple.)

Already read it I'm afraid, though I could probably watch the anime at some point. :v
The circle is complete.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22714 on: May 18, 2015, 06:01:27 pm »

Yeah, it's. I... honestly, it's kinda' fun, but... not really what I'd call a martial arts manga, exactly. Sort of an "Is but isn't" sort of thing. Too shounen :V

Have you read the Breaker stuff? Faintly remember it being pretty alright. There's a fairly notable amount of martial arts themed manwha, really. Depends on what you're looking for -- there's some really serious stuff, less serious stuff, junk like Kenichi...

Actually, looking at it, most manga joints online seem to have a martial arts tag. Search and filter, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #22715 on: May 18, 2015, 06:09:40 pm »

Yeah, but I'm searching for stuff I've missed. :v

Already read the Breaker and its sequel New Waves, I've also read Holy Land. If you know what those are, that's the kinda range I'm looking for.

he HSDK manga was pretty good in my opinion, just a bit too needlessly ecchi at times.
The circle is complete.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22716 on: May 19, 2015, 02:57:09 am »

Finished up the rest of the Devil is a Part-Timer!. It was definitely a fun little show, and I wouldn't mind seeing an eventual second season. (Though it makes me want to go watch something that builds up a big political story and then follows through on that idea instead next). 4/5 Stars from me, it was a nice relaxing show with a nice bit of fun in it. :D
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22717 on: May 19, 2015, 03:00:08 am »

Finally started reading One-Punch Man. Damn, I haven't grinned this much in a long time. It's hitting a lot of my buttons.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22718 on: May 19, 2015, 04:30:52 am »

I bought the game Dungeon Hearts from the Humble Bundle sale for something like 75 cents. Turns out to be a wonderfully animated little puzzle adventure that just so happens to also be VICIOUSLY HARD.  Steeling my loins, and enduring several painful failures, I finally manage to beat it on easy mode, and it's not often I'm proud of an easy mode victory in a game.

In other news, I just finished watching Ghibli's "Whisper of the Heart", which is a charming movie in the sense that once it was all said and done with, I felt charmed. And for a movie that clocks in at almost 2 hours, it ends rather abruptly, with a truly dopey grinner of an ending scene. I don't watch nearly as much anime as I used to, but I like something that inspires emotion like that every now and again.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #22719 on: May 19, 2015, 12:59:34 pm »

Next SRW Cast List got unveiled

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My only question is if they have Dunbine and Galient then why no Escaflowne. Oh well. There's some rumors that the pv might unveil more series.
It's FEF, not FEOF

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22720 on: May 19, 2015, 01:04:03 pm »

I can certainly think of a lot of western cartoons and movies that lacked those three.
That's because you've been exposed to a lot more western cartoons and movies then anime. I'd be willing to bet that the overall percentages between the two groups isn't that different (okay, the sexism issue is probably stronger in Japan due to their culture, but we probably have a higher portion of overacting due to our "bigger is better AMURCIA" thing). It's like if you lived in a household that raised dogs, and all your relatives had dogs, and then visited your friends who had specialized in rehabilitating shelter cats (the equivalent of America liking the violent/smutty stuff). To this you then replied, "Boy, all cats are crazy compared to dogs", when in truth the major part of what you are seeing is just sample bias.

I mean a quick google of "sexism in cartoons" or "sexism in movies" will pull up scads of examples, and that's the thing America is better than Japan at not doing (as opposed to just equal).
I was just surprised at Planetes having a married woman who has a career and isn't villainized.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22721 on: May 19, 2015, 01:08:14 pm »

Thinking about it, Puella Magi Madoka Magicka had a non-villanized, married career woman who was even looked up to in the main character's mother.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #22722 on: May 19, 2015, 11:04:46 pm »

Demo-chan put up a new anime preview, link

If you enjoy people with wierd humor shitting all over popular anime, you'll like this video.

"Undertones is NOT YURI, i don't pay my coffee for coffee undertones!"
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 11:11:04 pm by ggamer »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22723 on: May 19, 2015, 11:11:55 pm »

I was just surprised at Planetes having a married woman who has a career and isn't villainized.

What? Plenty of anime moms have jobs like! uhhh... and uhhh...

Well the main character of Future Card Buddy Fight's Mother is a Judo instructor

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #22724 on: May 19, 2015, 11:20:57 pm »

Keima Katsuragi's mother owns/runs a cafe.
The MC's mother from World Embryo is a vet/doctor.
Lelouche Lamperouge's mother is technically, y'know, the Empress. (Though she's villainized once you actually meet her, spoiler alert.)

However, a lot of manga/anime charactes tend to suffer from missing parent syndrome, generally having a maximum of one living parent (that you see, at least.)

Ichigo's mother is dead.
Naruto's parents are dead.
Luffy's mother is ??? and he's never really met his father.
Allen's parents are both dead (I think).
Hayate's parents are both jerkasses and MIA.
Natsu is an orphan.

Anyway, the status of the parent(s) tend towards either 'irrelevant to the plot and never really appear' or 'dead.'
The circle is complete.
Pages: 1 ... 1513 1514 [1515] 1516 1517 ... 2193