Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1358 1359 [1360] 1361 1362 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3058421 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #20385 on: December 02, 2014, 11:25:18 am »

I watched the first two eps of Mirai Nikki, and this is quickly spiraling into a show I might really love. It hits off really fast, doesn't fuck around, and is ambitious as hell. Let's hope this is an upward trend.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20386 on: December 02, 2014, 11:28:23 am »

I watched the first two eps of Mirai Nikki, and this is quickly spiraling into a show I might really love. It hits off really fast, doesn't fuck around, and is ambitious as hell. Let's hope this is an upward trend.

It is awesome, and it is worth it. The last few episodes are sheer mind screw.

In other news, I have found my old love of anime fighting games. Oh, they are glorious.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20387 on: December 02, 2014, 01:46:13 pm »

Is Gankutsuou any good? I feel like I may have asked this before.

Yes, if you like tragedies. It's an interesting take on the book, instead thrusting it into a psychedelic future setting. It's certainly not perfect, but I found it pretty compelling, emotional, and well executed.
Hated the OP theme, though, and some of the CGI is sketchy.

I have so many problems with this show, it beggars belief. It tries at every turn to shock you with events and scenes so gorn'y it just comes off as ridiculous and detestable, and every character is either a cardboard cutout or "inspired" from another popular work. People have tried to tell me to resume it, but honestly, after watching an episode where a little girl is literally raped by hundreds of men and then having the show try to use that as a legitimate plot point, I just quit in exasperation of both the lack of quality writing, and a repulsion to what the writer thinks is engaging.

It might as well be Elfen Lied. But hey, if you liked Elfen Lied and it's ilk, it's probably for you.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20388 on: December 02, 2014, 03:09:10 pm »

It also kicks into incest mode once the first arc is over with, so yeah maybe just watch that.
It definitely hints, but I wouldn't say that it goes really any farther than that (and even that doesn't last long). The fact that there is an outright canon love interest by the end of the first arc sorta relegates any other relationship teases to the "if you ever leave this person then I'm going for them" realm (which certainly happens enough in the real world).

As for Log Horizon, I never really got into it just because it seemed like they hadn't fully accounted for just what the inability to die would do. Like with the bandit guy they end up playing his defeat up like it's this huge thing when it happens (if they changed later I apologize, I didn't get too far beyond this) when in reality all they did was slightly inconvenienced him with a level penalty (even less so if players give xp, which would mean he would just have to sit outside and farm players for an hour or so). The fact that the only way to beat a large group of people at their own city would be to somehow imprison them with no way for them to get killed or kill themselves (else they would just keep perma-respawning at the cathedral, meaning you'd be facing a loss by 1000 cuts from them, while your people spawned back at your cathedral several days away) didn't seem like it was really being considered.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20389 on: December 02, 2014, 03:15:51 pm »

There's a couple penalties for dying that gets revealed later on, and Shiro eventually figures out a way to have effective law enforcement in Akihabara.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 03:20:44 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20390 on: December 02, 2014, 03:18:09 pm »

I would actually recommend the first arc of SAO. I think people just get more in arms about what it could have been, rather than what it is. It's still pretty good. If you then want to see more of that kind of world explored you could move on to Log Horizon.
I'd second this. While I wasn't hugely bothered by the second half of SAO (Might've been worse, or better *shrug*), its pretty much 'And now this happens, because the title game doesn't have a postgame and its been finished.'

Yeah, that's been my experience with it. SAO before they left SAO proper was decent. What hapened after... The whole incest teasing and new pedophilic adversary just weirded me out and the actual plot and such wasn't compelling enough to make me want to slog through that.

ANYWAYS.

Been binge-watching Fullmetal Alchemist[On episode 30. I started a week ago. People are wondering why I'm always so tired.]. Best show about magic Nazis I've ever seen, even if every plot twist and development is massively telegraphed. And I DON'T even want to strangle the protagonist, which is one big advantage it has over Attack on Titan.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20391 on: December 02, 2014, 03:31:22 pm »

It also kicks into incest mode once the first arc is over with, so yeah maybe just watch that.
It definitely hints, but I wouldn't say that it goes really any farther than that (and even that doesn't last long). The fact that there is an outright canon love interest by the end of the first arc sorta relegates any other relationship teases to the "if you ever leave this person then I'm going for them" realm (which certainly happens enough in the real world).
... you should probably have absolutely nothing to do with the games based off it, then. "Hints" they do not, because there's official SAO games where K outright beds his sibling-thing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20392 on: December 02, 2014, 04:05:51 pm »

... you should probably have absolutely nothing to do with the games based off it, then. "Hints" they do not, because there's official SAO games where K outright beds his sibling-thing.
Ah okay yeah, I've never played the games based on it nor read the books, just watched the show.

There's a couple penalties for dying that gets revealed later on, and Shiro eventually figures out a way to have effective law enforcement in Akihabara.

That makes sense, I might have to give it another go then.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20393 on: December 02, 2014, 05:04:14 pm »

That makes sense, I might have to give it another go then.
This right here is part of what I was saying earlier. LH really isn't comparable to SAO (or any other death-game series, for that matter) because it isn't a death game. The conflicts which create drama and drive the plot are more complex than characters trying to not die. That's not to say that that can't be a valid thing to orient a series around, but subtle and nuanced it ain't.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #20394 on: December 02, 2014, 05:46:58 pm »

It starts off strong, gets a bit weird, has a stretch of what I found to be pretty dumb filler with unoriginal characters/stupid plots, and then gets interesting again at the end. It's actually pretty good if you can make it to the actually interesting twists near the end, at least.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #20395 on: December 02, 2014, 06:47:34 pm »

Hope you like yandere. Because there's loooooots of yandere. Lots. Hell, Yuno's like the TVtropes goddess of yandere.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20396 on: December 02, 2014, 07:49:55 pm »

Wow, this is rare.

I am playing a game and it is a JRPG except it kind of has an interesting twist.

Most JRPGs that try to be rather anime sort of blend them together to get a sort of RPG twist on anime.

Yet this... feels like an anime that somehow was turned into a game.

Sakura Wars... I mean... A bunch of stage performers by day, super soldiers by night? You would never get that in a game.

I am suddenly so drawn in and I originally only got my hands on it because it was the 3rd or 4th best "Turn based game" for the PS2.

Well time to play! I'll keep you posted if the game turns out to be good along with being very anime.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20397 on: December 02, 2014, 07:55:44 pm »

Which game is it?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20398 on: December 02, 2014, 07:58:07 pm »

Sakura Wars, which for some reason I think has something to do with the Japanese secret police in 1920. Except in an alternate dimension. Or something.

He did mention the name in his post...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20399 on: December 02, 2014, 07:59:25 pm »

Sakura Wars
?

And ninja'd. And yeah, it's something along those lines, versus... magical evil giant robots or something. It's one of the very, very few steampunk giant robot games in existence. Never got around to playing it, but it's definitely held in decently high regards in SRPG circles.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 1358 1359 [1360] 1361 1362 ... 2193