Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1357 1358 [1359] 1360 1361 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3058420 times)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #20370 on: December 01, 2014, 01:47:19 am »

No no, he can't be alive. He can't. You can't bring back the dead!  :'(

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20371 on: December 01, 2014, 08:17:56 am »

Handwaved away cause alternate universe where they didn't die on-screen.
(I never watched the code geasse stuff.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20372 on: December 01, 2014, 06:29:34 pm »

I love his character unlike most people. But killing him was a fantastic move to take things. If they've decided to just revive him out of nowhere then fuck this man. I'll keep watching the show but, god damn i really fail to see how it will be any good.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20373 on: December 01, 2014, 06:38:30 pm »

Maybe he'll have brain damage. If only.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20374 on: December 01, 2014, 06:43:14 pm »

... have y'all considered... clones? Antagonist of the next series or whathaveyou could be an entire army of... whoever that is.

I mean, hell, if you're going to make someone not dead after killing them, you might as well go whole hog and make them not dead several hundred thousand times over and set them on a conquest spree.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20375 on: December 01, 2014, 07:29:49 pm »

Yeah, they'd practically be obliged to clone the only person capable of devising tactics beyond "Stand still, empty your magazines, scream as you die."

3. Run Resize Enable

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #20376 on: December 01, 2014, 07:55:54 pm »

Ok, you know what? Clones would actually be an interesting direction to take it, if only because it keeps us off the rails.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20377 on: December 01, 2014, 10:35:19 pm »

Is Gankutsuou any good? I feel like I may have asked this before.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20378 on: December 01, 2014, 11:08:21 pm »

The thread's opinion, scryed via the vile majicks of the search function, seem quite positive of it.

... haven't personally seen it, and probably won't, because I kinda' detested reading the book it was based off of, but folks seem appreciative.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yannanth

« Reply #20379 on: December 02, 2014, 06:37:29 am »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:19:19 pm by Yannanth »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20380 on: December 02, 2014, 06:49:27 am »

Maybe try watching just the first ~13 episodes of SAO. Those are effectively the "original story" and what got people hooked, and after that it's basically extra crap the author wrote because SAO was a cash cow. The later arcs aren't as good because the core premise of the story was already done with, so the author concocts various silly rationales to keep the action going. It shows the folly of trying to stick to a formula for your story, long after the justifications for that formula have been dealt with.

I'd say you're not missing anything special though, it really is a show only to watch so you know what other people are talking about. It's not really good or bad compared to other anime, just in the middle somewhere.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 07:12:41 am by Reelya »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20381 on: December 02, 2014, 07:25:06 am »

It also kicks into incest mode once the first arc is over with, so yeah maybe just watch that.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20382 on: December 02, 2014, 10:18:15 am »

I would actually recommend the first arc of SAO. I think people just get more in arms about what it could have been, rather than what it is. It's still pretty good. If you then want to see more of that kind of world explored you could move on to Log Horizon.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20383 on: December 02, 2014, 10:24:23 am »

I would actually recommend the first arc of SAO. I think people just get more in arms about what it could have been, rather than what it is. It's still pretty good. If you then want to see more of that kind of world explored you could move on to Log Horizon.
I'd second this. While I wasn't hugely bothered by the second half of SAO (Might've been worse, or better *shrug*), its pretty much 'And now this happens, because the title game doesn't have a postgame and its been finished.'
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20384 on: December 02, 2014, 11:16:26 am »

Honestly Log Horizon has very little in common with SAO beyond the setting being based in an MMO. Not only are the premises different ('trapped in VR' vs. 'MMO? No, we real now'), but so are the explanations offered ('bad dude did it' vs. 'two seasons and it still hasn't been revealed'). Likewise the points of conflict are different ('if you die in the game you die for realz omg' vs. NPC-PC interactions, developing infrastructure, gradual memory loss, political disputes, &c.). Even the underlying game systems are different (VR force-feedback martial arts focused on bladed weapons with no classes and maybe two or four stats as opposed to a fairly traditional MMO setup).

But hey, they're both related to MMOs and have those floating touchscreen menus so they're clearly similar works. And 08th MS Team is similar to TTGL because they both follow a group of people using giant robots to fight.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1357 1358 [1359] 1360 1361 ... 2193