Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1331 1332 [1333] 1334 1335 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3057861 times)

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #19980 on: October 28, 2014, 04:16:56 am »

Blame Bob Sapp.

Though based on the anime I've watched, black people either don't exist or have all been eaten by monsters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19981 on: October 28, 2014, 04:19:10 am »

And Bobby Ologun, he's a Martial Artist and TV celebrity in Japan who was born in Nigeria.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #19982 on: October 28, 2014, 06:10:53 am »

Spotted talk about some apparently cute manga Fuuka in this thread. So I searched for it and read all the current chapters in one go.

I don't really feel like doing anything today.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19983 on: October 28, 2014, 07:32:50 am »

Spotted talk about some apparently cute manga Fuuka in this thread. So I searched for it and read all the current chapters in one go.

I don't really feel like doing anything today.
I know right...
//Offers Hug\\
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #19984 on: October 28, 2014, 09:09:06 am »

Ok I have to ask... and I am sorry that this is such an odd question...

Does Japan believe that Black People have innate physical talents that tend to show up in them? (and likewise different races)

If you've ever been to China or Japan, you would see that those are very insular societies. It's not like AMERICA where you can experience the United nations by going to the mall. In China and Japan, well, most of the people are Chinese and Japanese. As such, whites and blacks stand out as an oddity and tend to be the subject of many photographs. Blacks in particular are really known for sports and such: my black friend was essentially renamed Kobe when he was visiting
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19985 on: October 28, 2014, 01:07:37 pm »

Incidentally, that's why pretty much all American characters in anime are either black or blonde hair-blue eyes white.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19986 on: October 28, 2014, 01:34:31 pm »

Incidentally, that's why pretty much all American characters in anime are either black or blonde hair-blue eyes white.

You forgot the big noses

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #19987 on: October 28, 2014, 02:19:11 pm »

So curiosity caused me to pick up a couple issues of the American print of JoJo at AWA a month ago (volumes 2 and 3). I became immediately enthralled, and now I'm watching through the new stardust crusaders anime till' I can read the rest of the manga.

Holy shit this is awesome. It watches/reads like a combination of Fist of the North Star and Gurren Lagann, but with a sense of scale. Plus, dat OP though. I have never gotten more hype for an anime opening since

well

Gurren Lagann, really.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #19988 on: October 28, 2014, 06:34:02 pm »

Read more of Fuuka. I think I can see where the plot is going and I don't see it ending well.

It's non the less good. Reminds me loosely of K-On, because both have music enthusiasts forming bands and stuff.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19989 on: October 28, 2014, 06:53:36 pm »

You forgot the big noses
Yeah this is quite interesting, actually.  When Japanese people look at westerners the first thing they see is the nose, not the eyes.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3e985eb0-8410-11e3-9903-00144feab7de.html#axzz3HUDnvSUm
(I'm just linking this for the picture really).  Still it doesn't answer my longstanding question about whether there's any visible racial characteristics in Code Geass, because I think the characters always acted like there was.

So curiosity caused me to pick up a couple issues of the American print of JoJo at AWA a month ago (volumes 2 and 3). I became immediately enthralled, and now I'm watching through the new stardust crusaders anime till' I can read the rest of the manga.

Holy shit this is awesome. It watches/reads like a combination of Fist of the North Star and Gurren Lagann, but with a sense of scale. Plus, dat OP though. I have never gotten more hype for an anime opening since

well

Gurren Lagann, really.
Did you watch the first series too?  Phantom Blood is perhaps a bit weak other than Dio, but Battle Tendency is about as good as Stardust.  Also both of the OPs are excellent.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19990 on: October 28, 2014, 07:17:11 pm »

You forgot the big noses
Yeah this is quite interesting, actually.  When Japanese people look at westerners the first thing they see is the nose, not the eyes.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3e985eb0-8410-11e3-9903-00144feab7de.html#axzz3HUDnvSUm
ft.com requires me to register to read that article. I don't feel inclined to bother just to read about big noses.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19991 on: October 28, 2014, 07:27:16 pm »

I think 80-90% of anime/manga marketed to guys(shounen?) usually has the MC be the love interest of the majority of girls, if not all.  I normally just try to ignore it... try being the key word.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19992 on: October 28, 2014, 07:30:25 pm »

As I said I'm only linking it for the picture, which you can see without registering.

e: I guess it redirects you if you've been before, here's the actual ad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCjxzpSrFP4
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 07:32:14 pm by Leafsnail »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19993 on: October 28, 2014, 08:39:51 pm »

Hah.

Re: the question of race in Cod Geese, I honestly don't recall any overt signs, though that's probably attributable to CLAMP character design more than anything else. Except that there were basically no black people at all, the darkest shades of skin color were Rakshata and Villetta Nu (plus the unnamed Arabs from that one establishing scene with... uh, what's-her-name, older-purple-hair-princess, Euphie's sister). Gottwald's nose looked slightly larger -- vertically, rather than length-wise. But yeah, other than that just a bunch of noodle-people with similar facial features. Wait, Ohgi had legit curly hair and basically nobody else did. So yeah, CLAMP noodle people + alt-Kingdom of America never got into the slave trade that much, I suppose.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19994 on: October 28, 2014, 08:49:03 pm »

Cod Geese

Deliberate or not, this is hilarious.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 1331 1332 [1333] 1334 1335 ... 2193