Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1274 1275 [1276] 1277 1278 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3057876 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #19125 on: September 06, 2014, 03:16:31 pm »

It has been fifteen years already, huh?

I'm feeling old again D:

Honestly it may be surprising to hear this...

But I actually kind of liked Digimon back when it was a little bit more about you and your digimon, raising them... and being surprised by what you get.
Yeah, that's why I felt Frontier to be the weakest of the seasons that I've watched. Followed by Tamers which started of as a kind of publicity stunt for their new TCG.

Now that I think of it, that might just be my nostalgia goggles that make every season "not as good as the previous one".
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 03:18:31 pm by Darvi »

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19126 on: September 06, 2014, 03:23:38 pm »

Oi, I liked Tamers! My favourite season, actually.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19127 on: September 06, 2014, 03:42:04 pm »

Mind you I understand why they couldn't continue on as they did in the early games and seasons.

Because the magic wore off.

Just having a Digimon and having it be your best friend and the sense of discovery... Wasn't enough anymore.

----

Ok I have to ask because I am having trouble researching it.

Was the American treatment of the Japanese during the occupation really that bad?

Because while I don't doubt the Americans were that unapologetically racist towards the Japanese, there seems to be a breach in protocol and I am wondering if the Americans really screwed up that bad and lets the soldiers do what they wanted.

Also GOODNESS anime... Blond is not that common a hair color in America. The last 4 American Boxers (One of those being an Expy for an American) were Blond.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 04:01:24 pm by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19128 on: September 06, 2014, 04:53:17 pm »

Soon after the U.S. marines landed, all the women of a village on Motobu Peninsula fell into the hands of American soldiers. At the time, there were only women, children and old people in the village, as all the young men had been mobilized for the war. Soon after landing, the marines "mopped up" the entire village, but found no signs of Japanese forces. Taking advantage of the situation, they started "hunting for women" in broad daylight and those who were hiding in the village or nearby air raid shelters were dragged out one after another.

According to Toshiyuki Tanaka, 76 cases of rape or rape-murder were reported during the first five years of the American occupation of Okinawa. However, he claims this is probably not the true figure, as most cases were unreported.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_during_the_occupation_of_Japan

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19129 on: September 06, 2014, 04:54:00 pm »

Thanks Reelya.

You screwed up America.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19130 on: September 06, 2014, 04:55:54 pm »

No worries: the locals got their own back now and then:

In 1998 the remains of three U.S. Marines stationed on Okinawa were discovered outside of a local village. Accounts from elderly Okinawans claim that the 3 marines had made frequent trips to the village to rape the women that lived there, but were ambushed and killed by dozens of villagers with the help of 2 armed Japanese soldiers who were hiding in the jungle, in a dark narrow mountain pass near a river on one of their return trips.

And read some of the other accounts from American soldiers, seeing their comrades openly gang raping asian women on the side of the road in broad daylight, like it's no big deal. This is classic "victors history". We'd be hearing about all of this in history class, if the other side did it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 05:01:15 pm by Reelya »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19131 on: September 06, 2014, 05:01:46 pm »

Sadly, occupations in war tend to go quite badly for the occupied.
Rape of Nanking, anyone?

Why are we talking about this in an anime thread where the most recent topic was Digimon?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19132 on: September 06, 2014, 05:07:41 pm »

Please keep it on topic people, war atrocities fills up the history books no matter what side you are on.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19133 on: September 06, 2014, 05:07:51 pm »

Why are we talking about this in an anime thread where the most recent topic was Digimon?
Because bay12 derails are weird and sometimes informative.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19134 on: September 06, 2014, 05:09:41 pm »

Might as well rerail the atrocities by recommending Barefoot Gen.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19135 on: September 06, 2014, 05:53:14 pm »

Hajime No Ippo seems to be doing the reverse of what a lot of animes do... In which the main character is actually getting LESS focus and the other characters are getting more.

It is actually refreshing not to see an anime boil down to main character worship.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19136 on: September 06, 2014, 05:57:27 pm »

Hajime No Ippo seems to be doing the reverse of what a lot of animes do... In which the main character is actually getting LESS focus and the other characters are getting more.

It is actually refreshing not to see an anime boil down to main character worship.
Attack on Titan did that, by reducing the main character to a glorified Plot Device...
._.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19137 on: September 06, 2014, 06:13:35 pm »

If you want to rerail while talking about atrocities, let's talk about Genocyber. That's got lots of fun little scenes for the whole family to enjoy!

*might have seen it as a small child which explains so much.*
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #19138 on: September 07, 2014, 08:49:58 am »

Sooooo...

Anybody know if or when the Kill la Kill OVA will be legally available in the United States?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #19139 on: September 07, 2014, 10:18:57 am »

Does anyone know when the English dub of KLK is coming out?
The first episode has already been dubbed, they apparently showed it at a convention...somewhere. You can find like the first half of said episode on youtube right now if you want.

Sooooo...

Anybody know if or when the Kill la Kill OVA will be legally available in the United States?
Exactly what do you mean by "legally"? I mean, once again you can probably watch on youtube right this second, and lets be honest, you're more likely to have your fun ruined by Youtube itself taking shit down then the FBI storming your house for seeing it.
If you mean when can you buy it/stream it/ something that would presumably factor into Trigger's profit margins? Fuck if I know. Probably around when the rest of the English Dubs roll around.

In other news...I watched Trigun, and found it fairly refreshing to have a combat anime with a pacifist main character. Especially one who seems like such a goober for so long :P
Though I feel the ending was INSANELY anticlimactic and batshit insane. I mean it made SENSE for Vash to do that, but it still seems like if the camera kept rolling for five more minutes everyone he loves would die horribly...

Then I went and started watching Fullmetal Alchemist, which was pretty awesome for awhile, but I stopped about halfway through when I realized its not going to get any less depressing.
Kinda felt like fucking Warhammer 40k, IN THE GRIMDARK GRIM DARKNESS OF THE WORLD OF ALCHEMY, THE PLOT STAGNATES BECAUSE WE'RE TOO BUSY MAKING EVERYTHING DEPRESSING AND GRIMDARK.

GRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARK
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 1274 1275 [1276] 1277 1278 ... 2193