Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1266 1267 [1268] 1269 1270 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3058533 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #19005 on: August 28, 2014, 11:21:16 am »

Hmmm, I though Uzamaki and Tomie were among Junji Ito's most recognizable works.

There's also his cat diary.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #19006 on: August 28, 2014, 11:22:58 am »

Hmmm, I though Uzamaki and Tomie were among Junji Ito's most recognizable works.

Unfortunately I've never heard them mentioned until now. I'm just starting Uzumaki though. I have no idea where this is going, I can't wait to read more.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19007 on: August 28, 2014, 11:45:53 am »

Unfortunately I've never heard them mentioned until now. I'm just starting Uzumaki though. I have no idea where this is going, I can't wait to read more.

While it's probably his most recognized work, it's probably one of his weaker works since Junji's style doesn't adapt well to having long, cohesive storylines with a stable cast. It's kinda the same complaint you had with Gyo. Tomie is probably better in that regard though since every section of Tomie is completely disjointed from every other.

But I did enjoy Uzumaki, if only because the whole plot boils down to "Man... spirals are just out to get errreebody." and boy, do they ever.

My favorite thing about his stories though, is how audaciously FUCKED his characters are, just for the simple crime of being a character in his stories. It doesn't matter what kind of benevolently simple life you lead, the moment a Junji horror gets involved, there's just nothing they can do but watch as it crushes their lives, their family, their friends, and possibly the entire world. Off the top of my head, the only person to ever be a survivor in ANY of his stories is Mimi from Mimi's Ghost Stories, anyone else from any other story is either explicitly doomed or their fate is left completely ambiguous.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19008 on: August 28, 2014, 11:49:19 am »

Uzumaki is to me basically a Twilight Zone / Outer Limit type comic where... while there is continuity... continuity is just there for your enjoyment.

It is also very Silent Hill

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19009 on: August 28, 2014, 12:07:15 pm »

I liked Uzumaki the best, actually.

Particularly because by the end all the elements fuse together into something whole. But then again it stops being really horror, and just became something I wanted to read and find out the plot of. It's easily his most actual "story", compared to his short story works and collections.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tomie is the opposite, a work only meta-connected as a continuous piece. It's also very good, but doesn't really have a conclusion (just a series of unrelated semi-conclusions.)

Gyo is in my opinion his weakest core story due to him trying to explain the situation with a degree of science instead of leaving it unknown, as people have stated.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #19010 on: August 28, 2014, 12:58:18 pm »

While it's probably his most recognized work, it's probably one of his weaker works since Junji's style doesn't adapt well to having long, cohesive storylines with a stable cast. It's kinda the same complaint you had with Gyo. Tomie is probably better in that regard though since every section of Tomie is completely disjointed from every other.

My favorite thing about his stories though, is how audaciously FUCKED his characters are, just for the simple crime of being a character in his stories. It doesn't matter what kind of benevolently simple life you lead, the moment a Junji horror gets involved, there's just nothing they can do but watch as it crushes their lives, their family, their friends, and possibly the entire world. Off the top of my head, the only person to ever be a survivor in ANY of his stories is Mimi from Mimi's Ghost Stories, anyone else from any other story is either explicitly doomed or their fate is left completely ambiguous.
I disagree. Hellstar Remina and the Black Paradox both had a pretty stable cast and a persistent story and were fantastic.

Yeah that's generally what happens. :D I can think of a few where the characters survived. The two girls in the bathhouse short both survive, and I'm pretty sure both Mimi and her boyfriend make it out. And the main character of the one where he's digging up his friend on page 1 (can't remember the name, I think it was called Hallucinations) seems at peace by the end, though its implied that he does go to jail, he's just happy that he's stopped seeing things.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 01:00:01 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19011 on: August 28, 2014, 03:23:16 pm »

Oh man that last P4G episode.

"Sempai, you can make me do anything you want."
"Go buy some stuff for me."

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19012 on: August 28, 2014, 04:44:33 pm »

Oh man that last P4G episode.

best response y/y?

also what is P4G?
._.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19013 on: August 28, 2014, 04:51:49 pm »

Persona 4 Golden, if I'm not mistaken.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19014 on: August 28, 2014, 04:57:37 pm »

Particularly because by the end all the elements fuse together into something whole. But then again it stops being really horror, and just became something I wanted to read and find out the plot of. It's easily his most actual "story", compared to his short story works and collections.
Spoiler: Disagreement (click to show/hide)
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19015 on: August 28, 2014, 05:01:31 pm »

Persona 4 Golden, if I'm not mistaken.
Which was also a PSVita game of a ps2 game.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19016 on: August 28, 2014, 05:23:45 pm »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #19017 on: August 28, 2014, 06:31:05 pm »

Logic checks out. Seems like a perfectly reasonable response.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19018 on: August 28, 2014, 06:44:51 pm »

And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19019 on: August 28, 2014, 07:36:13 pm »

Hah, true enough. But it's fun to think about these things.
Good horror always leaves you wondering about possibilities.
Pages: 1 ... 1266 1267 [1268] 1269 1270 ... 2193