Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1237 1238 [1239] 1240 1241 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061858 times)

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #18570 on: August 03, 2014, 09:41:52 pm »

I think I'm gonna wait until the dub comes out before I watch it. I don't have the attention span for subs.
>inb4 subs vs. dubs

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18571 on: August 03, 2014, 10:59:48 pm »

Watching Kill La Kill. This is really good. It feels a lot like when I first watched Gurren Lagann way back when.

Oh, it's made by some of the same people. That might be why.
Oh god, that anime...
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18572 on: August 03, 2014, 11:33:34 pm »

I think I'm gonna wait until the dub comes out before I watch it. I don't have the attention span for subs.
>inb4 subs vs. dubs
That's the great thing about bay 12 you can safely bring up things that will cause an argument anywhere else on the internet
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18573 on: August 03, 2014, 11:36:59 pm »

* LordSlowpoke kicks in door

DUBS NOT EVEN ONCE

* LordSlowpoke kicks door closed

* LordSlowpoke walks in through window

seriously though it's very rare for dubs to catch the spirit of the anime, though becoming more common in this decade and i approve of it if it does

but going dubs over subs because of not having to read subtitles is pure bullshit

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18574 on: August 03, 2014, 11:53:32 pm »

The new Sailormoon continues its trend of being both an improvement and step back from the original anime in every conceivable sense.

Having both Rei's characterization be less interesting and more interesting at the same time. As well the episode had two TERRIBLE and jarring cuts that tell me it followed the Manga WAAAAAAAY too much (Because the manga is in frames...)

All in all I think this episode was better in the older anime... But at least the music for Mars sounds good and as always I am a HUGE fan of the attacks actually landing on the enemy. (Odd that so far.. the older anime is 3 for 3 better episodes overall)

It is by far not enough for me to write it off yet though... It is just interesting because a lot of people say that animes that don't follow the manga are worse for it, yet this is prime evidence that it isn't necessarily true. The only time this has ever happened was with full metal alchemist (where the "truer" version was the better version).

That is the only reason I am just so interested in comparing them.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 11:58:49 pm by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18575 on: August 04, 2014, 03:09:21 am »

Where this sailor moon remake might be better isn't in individual episodes, but in overall quality, because nearly 200 episodes of monster-of-the-week fillers (and a LOT of it seems to have been filler) got pretty damn repetitive. A lot of the sailor moon filler eps followed a set formula very closely so as not to break continuity.

It's like, maybe you like chocolate cookies better than vanilla and strawberry ones, and you can honestly say that you like any individual chocolate cookie more than any single vanilla or strawberry one, but what if someone said "ok, here eat 200 chocolate cookies in a row, or you can alternate eating 100 vanilla and 100 strawberry ones". You might not go for the "chocolate" ones even though you technically like them more, individually.

we're on remake episode 3 and the orginal has this at episode 10, so let's say so far 70% of the old series was fillers. And there are entire filler seasons (e.g. the first 6 months of sailor moon R) later on they'll be skipping. IDK because I've never read the manga, but someone can let us know if they're actually leaving a lot out.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 03:21:16 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18576 on: August 04, 2014, 03:20:23 am »

Actually even in that respect Reelya SO FAR that is also the advantage of the old one.

Since if I include all the episodes until now, it let us kind of get a better feel for our characters and gave them more time to shine before adding more (as well the characters shone more brightly through as well). It also let the show kind of have theming

Also the who anime is barely 200 episodes long as it is... and that is from the start all the way to the end of Sailor Stars... and I HIGHLY doubt this one is going to get to Sailorstars with its production cost. HECK I'll be surprised if it goes past the Beryl Arc.

It doesn't even make it filler either. These extra scenes actually helped flesh things out. Heck name ONE thing about Serena's Teacher from the new show... or anyone for that matter.

The new one isn't using its anime format to the best of its ability is all I am saying.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 03:26:50 am by Neonivek »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18577 on: August 04, 2014, 04:13:33 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

IDK because I've never read the manga, but someone can let us know if they're actually leaving a lot out.
I think I've read the first arc of the manga, but I recall it being like ten pages of people getting shot in the face followed by an attempted murder-suicide.

Maybe it gets better later.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18578 on: August 04, 2014, 04:25:19 am »

@IronyOwl: No, this last mahouka episode had some actual action in it, so it's fairly un-representative. Unless you count endless easy hero victories in Wobble Ball and Magical Wanker Code (i think those were the names of the sports) as "action".

Other than decisively winning magical kid's sports, this is the 3nd action scene in the last 10 episode arc. But this current action scene actually lasted longer than the 20 seconds which the first couple did.

Still nothing can beat episode 7, where the hero magically lasers a hole in a door, steps through to confront the baddies then states in a monotone voice: "Game Over". Really, it doesn't get any more creative than that.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 04:31:26 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18579 on: August 04, 2014, 04:33:10 am »

Hmmm... now that is a thought...

A Magical kid anime... about sports.

I still need to watch Shaolin Soccer because it probably is the best "Sports with super powers" thing ever... add that the fact that they play the game with a soccer ball and thus have to deal with its limitations as a plot point actually sealed that deal.

Note: I don't count shows like Prince of Tennis mostly because it falls under what I call "Supernatural representation of natural phenomenon"... For example the Phantom Ball disappears after it hits the ground, but that is because what is actually happening is that the spin of the ball is making it bounce in a direction other then straight back, and most Tennis players aren't looking directly at the ball in that instance. Even within continuity the ball doesn't actually disappear. This changes MOSTLY in the last season where it hits "Metaphorical representation of natural phenomenon" and then it dumps right into "Supernatural techniques".

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18580 on: August 04, 2014, 04:36:19 am »

Baby Steps is a tennis manga / anime adaptation running at the moment. IDK how it compares to Prince Of Tennis, but it sounds like it's way less O.P. But it suffers really bad from that "quick learner" thing. If you had a problem with Ippo learning fast, but want a laugh try Baby Steps.

I really should watch Shaolin Soccer one day, compare that to Kuroko's Basketball, which is the best "superpowered sports anime" I've seen so far (note, i only recently started watching sports animes).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 04:38:42 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18581 on: August 04, 2014, 05:01:17 am »

Actually I had no problem with Ippo learning so fast. It was the best compromise the anime could have made and allows us to learn Boxing with our main character while still allowing him to compete at higher levels of boxing through genuine skill and effort. This is also partially why they make him so strong as well (the other is that he is supposed to be a sort of "straight laced fighter" who fights in a straight forward manner, so they gave him the physical attributes to facilitate the way he fights).

The issue I had with Ippo being a quick learner is mostly that sometimes it went unacknowledged in spite it being one of his greatest assets and one of the reasons he is able to challenge new opponents... and sometimes they overplay his underdog status in some fights (but as I said, the anime is excellent in that... sometimes he isn't the underdog)

Think of it like animes where the hero manages to win ever single fight they ever experience, pulls victory out of their butts over and over again, and shows a wicked intelligence... Yet is still called an unskilled dunce. Ippo isn't anywhere close to that, but it has bought beachfront property.

I actually like that anime, but I am not the sort of person who looks at something they like without observations. For example one of my favorite animes is Full Moon and one of jokes I say about it is "Mitsuki is going to be a famous singer one person at a time", mostly because that is how the first 30 episodes pretty much went and is also why it is impossible to get people to watch it. My favorite videogame Suikeoden 2's world music makes me REALLY sleepy after a while... and HOLY GOODNESS you would think I hated Law and Order if I talked about it (In spite being my favorite Procedural Law Show). I just usually have more to say about what I find odd or what I disliked then what I did like, which I find harder to talk about.

It also helps that Ippo is the sort of main character I really like... Sure he isn't my FAVORITE kind of protagonist (a Redeemer)... But I like any character who knows when you shouldn't just punch someone's face in. He is kind and helpful and using force is usually the last instinct he ever has... As well he has little malice in his heart. (I also love that the anime really highlights everyone. Even when they set up a villain, by the time you get to their match... they stop being a villain and start being a character)

Also sure I'll look into Baby Steps. Though as for "less O.P", in the early parts it wasn't that overpowered. I mean one character's ability is that he is really good at doing a high ball that hits the back line ("Moon Volley") and another has a serve that sinks faster then then it looks... and another has a spin serve that essentially has a delayed bounce. The show certainly goes higher and higher on the power list.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 05:15:22 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18582 on: August 04, 2014, 10:57:35 am »

Redeemer stuff, that's not really a standard term as far as I can ascertain, i think you mentioned stuff like Full Moon & Fruits Basket before as having that? Would Key series like Kanon, Clannad and Little Busters fall under that?

Kuroko's Basketball also has some similarities to Ippo, in the pacing and tension of matches and how they delve into the background of the various teams and players they're up against. Also, like Ippo only a rare few opponents are straight-up assholes, mostly they get sympathetic portrayals.

Maybe the length of Prince of Tennis has given me a skewed idea of how OP it really is compared to Baby Steps. IDK I'd have to watch both to know, and anything over 100 eps scares me to start :/

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18583 on: August 04, 2014, 11:00:26 am »

I just finished Dragon Ball. I'll watch Z later.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18584 on: August 04, 2014, 11:03:08 am »

I just finished Dragon Ball. I'll watch Z later.

did they collect the dragon balls
Pages: 1 ... 1237 1238 [1239] 1240 1241 ... 2193