Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1238 1239 [1240] 1241 1242 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061618 times)

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #18585 on: August 04, 2014, 01:44:01 pm »

I just finished Dragon Ball. I'll watch Z later.

did they collect the dragon balls

By the time they hit Piccolo in the manga (the original Piccolo, not Jr) they've already collected them like three times. Essentially any time they want something they just send Goku out on his cloud to pick them up in a month.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18586 on: August 04, 2014, 04:45:48 pm »

@Neonivek: I agree with you re: the original Sailor Moon and filler. It was really strange when I first realized it, but a lot of the characterization happened in filler episodes, at least as far as I can recall.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18587 on: August 04, 2014, 05:08:11 pm »

Redeemer stuff, that's not really a standard term as far as I can ascertain, i think you mentioned stuff like Full Moon & Fruits Basket before as having that? Would Key series like Kanon, Clannad and Little Busters fall under that?

Kuroko's Basketball also has some similarities to Ippo, in the pacing and tension of matches and how they delve into the background of the various teams and players they're up against. Also, like Ippo only a rare few opponents are straight-up assholes, mostly they get sympathetic portrayals.

Maybe the length of Prince of Tennis has given me a skewed idea of how OP it really is compared to Baby Steps. IDK I'd have to watch both to know, and anything over 100 eps scares me to start :/

The redeemer would indeed be like our lead from Fruit Basket (Mitsuki is sort of a minor one) or Nao from Liars Game.

While Nao is my favorite Redeemer period.

Also don't worry Prince of Tennis does start to go crazy not too far off. It isn't long until a character has a serve so strong that it can injure your wrists even if you hold your racket two handed (yet that is an early example). Which is ridiculous.

Bastus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18588 on: August 04, 2014, 05:12:27 pm »

Hello you people,
now that we have that out of the way I have a small question.
I used to watch anime on a pretty regulat basis and had kind of an overview about whats new and what one should watch, well that is the past. I stopped regulary watching them around one and a half year ago and actually want to restart watching them, problem here I don't have a clue about what from the current season is actually "good". So anyone with an advice for me?

And as I do not want to just ask something without contributing to the thread:
I just rewatched Bakemonogatari I really like it, a shame that Nisemonogatari was horrible. By the way did they continued the series?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18589 on: August 04, 2014, 05:29:29 pm »

So uh. No Game No Life is actually a really really good show.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18590 on: August 04, 2014, 05:41:01 pm »

And as I do not want to just ask something without contributing to the thread:
I just rewatched Bakemonogatari I really like it, a shame that Nisemonogatari was horrible. By the way did they continued the series?

They did. With Monogatari the second season, or something along those lines.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18591 on: August 04, 2014, 05:48:10 pm »

Oh, BTW: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1242001
Formal announcement of Attack on Titan season 2 just came out.

===

No Game No Life

I won't say it wasn't enjoyable. But it's a "fun" show stuck together from shitty parts, not good parts.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/19815/No_Game_No_Life/reviews
Best Review:

Best line from the review: "At least they're not Tatsuya."

It started with a mass of 10/10 reviews on page one, now it's mostly reviews bagging the shit out of it. Well, I'm at least pleased to see that the people who actually write and vote on reviews for this on MAL seem to agree that it's not all it's hyped to be. It's quite an anomaly, normally a show in the MAL top 30 will have a fair excess of good reviews to bad reviews. This show hardly has any good reviews at all.

Watch it though if you don't mind a mindless show that pretends to be smart. The humor and shit isn't smart at all though. Boobs and panty flashing, butt monkey girl getting humiliated and abused humor. Each time there's a major game, it's against a girl. 50/50 on lolis or booby monsters. And each one gets added to the harem, with an obligatory lesbian bath scene with the girls all soaping up the new harem addition. That's pretty much the extent of the comedy. Most harem comedies have some level of humor above this.

Only the games have any redeeming features.

Them being genius' is basically stated in a "i randomly won by deus ex machina because i'm a genius and set up this inexplicable easy win in a "genius" way. 95% of the time the actual mechanism isn't detail beyond "hell, random last-minute unexplained wins is just what genius' do!" Really, the premise is "Blank never loses", so we literally have a scenario where the heroes always win no matter what at the last minute in "inexplicable" ways that are never revealed to the audience. At least for the majority of games, they do detail a few but they're mostly early on in the series, then the later ones are just "we won suck shit. you're up against genius mysterious genius shit!"
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 06:20:44 pm by Reelya »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18592 on: August 04, 2014, 06:31:12 pm »

The redeemer would indeed be like our lead from Fruit Basket (Mitsuki is sort of a minor one) or Nao from Liars Game.

While Nao is my favorite Redeemer period.
Yeah I came round on her eventually.  A reputation for honesty is actually an incredibly powerful asset if you're playing a series of semi co-operative games with largely the same people.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18593 on: August 04, 2014, 06:40:18 pm »

At least they're not Tatsuya.
I like how this is in there, without context, and I can tell what exactly they're talking about and why it's applicable.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18594 on: August 04, 2014, 06:44:03 pm »

At least they're not Tatsuya.
I like how this is in there, without context, and I can tell what exactly they're talking about and why it's applicable.
That did make me hue, and I never liked the phrase Mary Sue anyway. Long live the Tatsuyas!

It started with a mass of 10/10 reviews on page one, now it's mostly reviews bagging the shit out of it. Well, I'm at least pleased to see that the people who actually write and vote on reviews for this on MAL seem to agree that it's not all it's hyped to be. It's quite an anomaly, normally a show in the MAL top 30 will have a fair excess of good reviews to bad reviews. This show hardly has any good reviews at all.
Probably a strong "I like it anyway" presence. Most people with anything to say about the show rip it in half, a handful defend it, and then most people voting on it like it even though they can't or don't feel like justifying why.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18595 on: August 04, 2014, 07:00:37 pm »

Quote from: Reviewer
Watch Kaiji instead.
It's funny because I was going to make this exact recommendation long before I reached the end of the review.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18596 on: August 04, 2014, 07:09:09 pm »

I don't know what that show is, but the recommendation sounds interesting. What is it?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18597 on: August 04, 2014, 07:17:54 pm »

Okay so the show isn't original whatever. Watching the first episode I was expecting something like .//hack after five minutes of the first episode, and I was still prepared to enjoy it. People who rip a show to shreds because it isn't original are hating it for all the wrong reasons.

I like it because the characters are cute, the games are fun to watch, and yes he gambles with his luck. That's why they're playing games. They don't know for sure if they're going to win but they damn well do and that's okay in my book. The games are entertaining because they string their opponents along and, like what he said about the warbeasts,

They're playing to beat God. And ended the show on a cliffhanger to make sure they got a second season at least, which I'm glad for because I watched the show with my girlfriend over a period of three days because it was so entertaining. We talked at length about how it wasn't original, but was done in a unique way so as to make it refreshing, and how about the art in the show was absolutely gorgeous compared to other anime out there these days. I'm expecting a fall from grace in the second season because I can't get my hands on translated copies of the light novel it's based on, and even if there isn't, I'm still going to enjoy the show.

But whatever. You can hate something for not being original, or you can like something.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18598 on: August 04, 2014, 07:29:50 pm »

Is it okay to hate something just because?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18599 on: August 04, 2014, 07:35:52 pm »

Is it okay to hate something just because?

Heh. Yes. It just, really upsets me when someone's like "Oh y uses materials of x as inspiration this show is terrible." Because, I mean, that's exactly how the creative process works. "Oh I like x, let me make y based on what I liked about x and z over here, too." So I hate it when people get upset when people are inspired by great works to make something that honors the original piece while maintaining its own uniqueness.
Pages: 1 ... 1238 1239 [1240] 1241 1242 ... 2193