Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1166 1167 [1168] 1169 1170 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3064719 times)

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #17505 on: May 20, 2014, 04:40:45 am »

I liked Mirai Nikki for the sheer amount mindscrew involved. I found it to be a decent psychological thriller, though the best psychological thriller anime I've seen so far has been Another.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17506 on: May 20, 2014, 04:44:32 am »

I liked Mirai Nikki for the sheer amount mindscrew involved. I found it to be a decent psychological thriller, though the best psychological thriller anime I've seen so far has been Another.

Ok... one second.

*looks it up*

Ohh nevermind, I ENTIRELY mixed up animes.

So please ignore my last few comments on Mirai Nikki. Now your complaints make a LOT more sense.

Sorry I was thinking of a much worse anime... but given my tendency to dislike what others like... I thought there was a possibility people actually liked it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 04:46:08 am by Neonivek »

Nightscar982

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17507 on: May 20, 2014, 04:49:12 am »

Yea, I would rather prefer anime didn't have so much sexualisation of young girls in it -.- It isn't required to make a good show, at all.
In all things you were. In nothing you become.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17508 on: May 20, 2014, 09:54:20 am »

So the MC is: A super warrior who can move so fast it's like teleporting, sees through walls to detect enemies, can basically fly up walls Matrix-style,  can disable any magic-user with a glance, can take apart any device via telekinesis, and on top of that he is the greatest hacker in history who's tech discoveries are so dangerous they could overturn society as we know it if he was foolish enough to share them with us mere mortals.
can disable any magic-user with a glance
telekinesis skills to dissasemble and entire platoons worth of weapons without even blinking.
"poor" magical abilities
Wow, this character rivals Kenshiro in his OPness.
._.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17509 on: May 20, 2014, 02:50:42 pm »

Yeah Mahouka guy is so OP that the fights themselves are incredibly quick yet boring. He just tends to stand there and enemies flail about a f-ed up. Then they have to have a conversation to explain what just happened. I'm not kidding about the winning fights without blinking thing, or even visibly moving a finger.

Who would have guessed that the ability to more or less screw any enemy without moving a finger wasn't going to translate well to anime?

« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 02:59:06 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17510 on: May 20, 2014, 02:58:19 pm »

Yeah Mahouka guy is so OP that the fights themselves are incredibly quick yet boring. He just tends to stand there and enemies flail about a f-ed up. Then they have to have a conversation to explain what just happened. I'm not kidding about the winning fights without blinking thing, or even visibly moving a finger.

Who would have guessed that the ability to more or less screw any enemy without moving a finger wasn't going to translate well to anime?

It can work it just depends on how you depict it OR what the focus is. Though you are right it probably worked in the manga because these scenes were likely short.

Then again this also could be build up for his eventual downfall.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #17511 on: May 20, 2014, 03:03:53 pm »

Its adapted from a light novel
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17512 on: May 20, 2014, 03:08:28 pm »

Then again this also could be build up for his eventual downfall.

I wish. This show is just laying it on thick, how much it loves the MC. One thing I was told by some fans is that this wouldn't become a harem, because other couples form in the show. And that did just happen, but they make sure each girl has her ecchi moment with the MC first, or sobs into his manly chest.

And the latest just took the cake. A couple did form, but the girl explained in front of everyone that MC-kun was her first/true love, but he was just so amazing that she couldn't ever catch up, so she settled for her current bf because they can "walk at the same pace". So, yeah, the show gracefully allows it's 2nd-tier males (that's everyone who's not the MC) to score with the girls, but not before ensuring there's a metaphorical "property of Tatsuya" brand on their butt.

If the show was serious about these beta-pairings then they'd have the guy in question actually have more input into saving the girl, get the sobbing-into-chest moment and have her admit she was always in love with him. But, no. Can't give another guy the limelight for even a second, even someone elses big romance scene has to be all about the MC/Gary Stu/author's proxy.

I do enjoy this show in a sense, it's so fascinating in just how heavy handed the writing and lack of common sense/finesse there is in how everything is put together. A normal "bad" series doesn't compare.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 03:18:34 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17513 on: May 20, 2014, 03:17:54 pm »

Ok from what I am understanding.

The anime is a mix between genuinely good writing and absolutely terrible writing. Where things are set up well, but executed terribly.

Kind of reminds me of a few fan-fictions I have read where if they had any hint of self-awareness they would be great metafiction.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17514 on: May 20, 2014, 03:20:28 pm »

I'm not sure where the good writing comes in though, it's just a mishmash of genre cliches, the pacing is terrible and it really breaks the "show, don't tell rule" with long-winded conversations to explain every little plot development in advance.

The only enjoyable thing is how poorly conceived the entire venture is, it just asks to be mocked. I agree that would be cool metafiction if it was a parody, but sadly this show is very dry and totally devoid of humor.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 03:22:55 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17515 on: May 20, 2014, 03:26:07 pm »

The secret to a lot of "so bad its good" is that it has a few elements of good writing there. Enough that it can be swallowed.

It is why a lot of "intentionally bad" writing often doesn't work, because they try so hard to be terrible that they forget to make it entertaining. In fact during the huge "So bad its good" fanfiction craze a lot of people would latch onto writing that was just flat out bad and just spout a list of "crazy things" that happen in it. It is "the good" that most people forget about.

Think about what makes the set up so interesting. What draws you in. Since if this was flat out bad, you wouldn't care.

Assuming it is "so bad its good" and not just "outright bad"
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 03:27:56 pm by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17516 on: May 20, 2014, 04:00:58 pm »

I think it's the visuals that are the only thing that pushes this into the watchable category. Everything else sucks but the visuals are A-grade. The hammy acting and cheesy lines helps though, you can't help but laugh at how hammy the whole thing is.

That's another thing, a good "bad" show could be one that makes you feel something. A merely mediocre show might just bore you, but one that is monstrously bad will make you feel a slew of emotions. Negative emotions, but at least your feeling something, and that can make it more immersive.

School Days is a prime example. Plenty of people talk about how they hate that series, but I bet they remember what happened in it better than a lot of the "average" series that they've watched. One reviewer on youtube I saw originally gave it a 1/5 because he hated the characters, but years later did a follow-up review saying he'd thought about it, and that the anime itself was not that bad, and it achieved it's aim, which was actually to make you hate the main characters.

---

Mahouka has set a new standard for me. Previously I've watched hyped action series that score low critically, like SAO, Valvrave, Index etc. But in each of those I've thought "not really that bad, I can see why people like this and it's enjoyable if you overlook the plotholes". But for Mahouka it's literally the first time I've really felt "this is just all-around horrible and anyone who actually likes this is a retard".
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 04:15:46 pm by Reelya »

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17517 on: May 20, 2014, 04:33:25 pm »

Mirai Nikki had it's highs and lows, but it turned out quite nice overall.
At least I got to see where all this yandere craze came from.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17518 on: May 20, 2014, 04:54:21 pm »

I thought the yandere craze kicked off from Higurashi and School Days?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17519 on: May 20, 2014, 04:57:24 pm »

I thought the yandere craze kicked off from Higurashi and School Days?

Yandere honestly comes and goes. Even within anime you can get much older examples depending on how much you are willing to bend the definition.

Afterall it is a very simple archtype.

Heck you can probably think of a few, big for the time, American blockbusters that featured a "yandere" character.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 04:59:05 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 1166 1167 [1168] 1169 1170 ... 2193