Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1091 1092 [1093] 1094 1095 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061648 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #16380 on: March 05, 2014, 07:57:04 am »

Ohh I know her losing was a forgone conclusion.

It was HOW she lost that is frustrating.

---

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lets not have my rants taking up this great thread.

Ok, I agree the Build Knuckle is getting repetitive and anti climactic, but I disagree on the thing about the fight being sexist. The point of the battle breaking down into sillyness was that prior to it she was not having fun, going along with the whole point of the show, and from there they got so caught up in what they were doing that she forgot to go all out. The fact she is a girl and has a sad backstory is more tied in to Gundam tradition, though I'll admit that it is that concept itself that is more than a little sexist since it stems from Tomino's weird issues with women along with the values of the 80s. But I still think that the message that was meant to be sent from her character was meant to be independent of that. Besides...

« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 08:08:19 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16381 on: March 05, 2014, 08:13:12 am »

The point of the battle breaking down into sillyness was that prior to it she was not having fun, going along with the whole point of the show.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 08:17:12 am by Neonivek »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #16382 on: March 05, 2014, 08:17:11 am »

*shrug* While I still disagree on some poiints, to be honest I just wanted an excuse to post that picture.. :P

It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16383 on: March 05, 2014, 08:20:00 am »

*shrug* While I still disagree on some poiints, to be honest I just wanted an excuse to post that picture to be honest :P

I have to admit, I am more astounded by the fact that contrary to EVERYTHING I'd expect. Her Next Gundam isn't pink (DANG it Gundam Seed), it isn't a SD Gundam, and it isn't a joke. It almost makes me think it is a fake "what if" bot. Since it honestly breaks every pattern the series established so far.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 08:31:27 am by Neonivek »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #16384 on: March 05, 2014, 08:33:28 am »

*double shrug* after giving myself a moment to contemplate I realized I'm not disagreeing with your complaints so much as your use of hyperbole but anways-

IKR the Miss Sazabi is great! (Don't freak out, the Sazabi's inherent  bulkyness overrides any weirdness that could have popped up in its design. It's kinda funny actually, when the design was first revealed before we knew anything about it, there were people complaining that it wasn't feminine enough since they were hoping for something other than the Noble Gundam for kitbashes.)) Don't worry, it shows up in the opening sillouettes so if anything turns out to be a What If design it'll be the Crossbone Gundam Kai that was recently announced.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 08:35:58 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16385 on: March 05, 2014, 10:52:55 am »

Some anime I have been watching through Crunchy Roll...

Tonari no Seki-Kun - I have linked the Manga before, and the Anime just delivers on what is shown in the novel. Bringing life into the characters more so then text could ever do.

Log Horizon - I checked this one out cause it looking interesting, another Anime about people getting stuck within an MMO. But this one is more interesting cause it looks more into the life of those within without the chance of death looming over their heads...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16386 on: March 05, 2014, 11:13:26 am »

Just an idle thought, but I've sort of been hankering for bittersweet feels similar to Angel Beats!, any recommendations?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16387 on: March 05, 2014, 12:28:51 pm »

Just an idle thought, but I've sort of been hankering for bittersweet feels similar to Angel Beats!, any recommendations?
I'd recommend but I've only watched one episode of Angel Beats. Also I want to link this.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Nienhaus

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16388 on: March 05, 2014, 02:04:04 pm »

I don't know about Angel Beats, but for bittersweet I always recommend Wolf's Rain.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16389 on: March 05, 2014, 11:36:50 pm »

Anohana comes to mind, but I remember it being mentioned before in this thread, so you might have watched it by now.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16390 on: March 05, 2014, 11:37:29 pm »

Finally got around to watching Log Horizon and wow, that is the most well thought out stuck in a video game ever.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16391 on: March 06, 2014, 12:43:25 am »

Little Busters is by far Key's most similar series to Angel Beats. In a similar sense to Clannad, you have to see season 2 of Little Busters to understand what it's all about.

Or you could check out the earlier Key-related stuff if you haven't seen them: Air, Kanon, Clannad, Sola

AnoHana
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
ef: a tale of memories / melodies
Madoka
Haibane Renmei
Kaiba

Maybe try some movies:

hotarubi no mori e
Kowarekake no Orgel
Pale Cocoon
Tsumiki no Ie
The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki
The girl who leapt through time
Grave of the fireflies
* any Makoto Shinkai movie

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16392 on: March 06, 2014, 12:49:06 am »

Anohana comes to mind, but I remember it being mentioned before in this thread, so you might have watched it by now.
I haven't, thanks for mentioning it. :)

Finally got around to watching Log Horizon and wow, that is the most well thought out stuck in a video game ever.
Does it pick up? I've watched the first 5 episodes and there really doesn't seem to be much of a plot developing yet, beyond the stereotypical rescue mission and the subgenre's traditional explanation of RPG mechanics for the two people watching that didn't pick the show up because it's a trapped-in-game-world story. I mean, I like what was hinted at--the insidious nature of life in an MMO without the threat of death, the whole idea of the only meaning being that which you make for yourself--but ultimately philosophical navel-gazing and fights explained (poorly) in terms of game mechanics doesn't make for a whole lot of content.

That aside, the character archetypes are generally not the annoying variety, which is refreshing. OTOH, I sort of dislike when series are set in the whole trapped-in-game-world shtick, but then just fall into the old rut of powers as the plot demands rather than trying to establish an underlying sense of order and balance--it feels like traditional action show powers rather than a system that was expressly designed to not favor [whatever the protagonist happens to be].

Truth be told, though, I could make the same complaint about any series that uses its setting/powers/whatever for cheap thrills rather than as a motivating element of the plot. Take the difference between this (where the trapped-in-MMO setting doesn't really relate to what the characters are doing; beyond the death-is-cheap aspect of it, this could be set pretty much anywhere without the plot or characters changing overmuch), as opposed to SAO (where the trapped-in-MMO setting was an important element of the driving conflict, and which, incidentally, was done very well--for all the other issues with that series, the alienness of living in an MMO was captured very, very well in a myriad of little details), as opposed to the various .hack shows or something like Legendary Moonlight Sculptor (where the MMO element of the setting wasn't a death game but was still a central element of the plot and authorial intent).

I guess what I'm saying is that there's nothing really bad about it, but I haven't felt anything for it yet either.

--

-snip-
Thank'ee as well. I've been meaning to watch Clannad for a long time, but... I'm not sure if my heart can handle feels of that magnitude.

3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16393 on: March 06, 2014, 01:16:25 am »

Okay, glad to see that my initial impression was spot on. Uh, in the sense that I didn't watch seventeen more episodes of mush. :I

3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16394 on: March 06, 2014, 01:55:46 am »

Does it pick up? I've watched the first 5 episodes and there really doesn't seem to be much of a plot developing yet, beyond the stereotypical rescue mission and the subgenre's traditional explanation of RPG mechanics for the two people watching that didn't pick the show up because it's a trapped-in-game-world story. I mean, I like what was hinted at--the insidious nature of life in an MMO without the threat of death, the whole idea of the only meaning being that which you make for yourself--but ultimately philosophical navel-gazing and fights explained (poorly) in terms of game mechanics doesn't make for a whole lot of content.
The main plot develops after they get back from the rescue mission. I guess that was a warm up plot to get the "action" side of things out of the way. They really don't do any typical "quest" type stuff after that.

My impressions so far are pretty much the opposite of Taz's. I really am not really enjoying Kill La Kill (well the recent part is better since they're kicking off for the finale), I'm finishing that for completeness, but I'm having no trouble watching Log Horizon. I guess I like dialogue / politics based anime more that random violence.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 02:06:47 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1091 1092 [1093] 1094 1095 ... 2193