Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1092 1093 [1094] 1095 1096 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061617 times)

Nightscar982

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #16395 on: March 06, 2014, 03:56:34 am »

Episode 17 of kill la kill was very much a surprise, I have to say. I think I'm starting to enjoy it a lot more now that the plot has been revealed more, and there is much less lewdness.
In all things you were. In nothing you become.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #16396 on: March 06, 2014, 07:46:55 am »

Does it pick up? I've watched the first 5 episodes and there really doesn't seem to be much of a plot developing yet, beyond the stereotypical rescue mission and the subgenre's traditional explanation of RPG mechanics for the two people watching that didn't pick the show up because it's a trapped-in-game-world story. I mean, I like what was hinted at--the insidious nature of life in an MMO without the threat of death, the whole idea of the only meaning being that which you make for yourself--but ultimately philosophical navel-gazing and fights explained (poorly) in terms of game mechanics doesn't make for a whole lot of content.
The main plot develops after they get back from the rescue mission. I guess that was a warm up plot to get the "action" side of things out of the way. They really don't do any typical "quest" type stuff after that.

My impressions so far are pretty much the opposite of Taz's. I really am not really enjoying Kill La Kill (well the recent part is better since they're kicking off for the finale), I'm finishing that for completeness, but I'm having no trouble watching Log Horizon. I guess I like dialogue / politics based anime more that random violence.
Pretty much this for me. Uh except the Kill La Kill part. I'm enjoying Kill La Kill but I really like Log Horizon too. Years of reading fanfiction and 1632 have given me a love of fish out of water politics/inventing stories, and so I was pleasantly surprised to find that shortly after the point FD dropped it the plot turned into one of those. Its really turned into being about them being in a fantasy world that happens to follow RPG mechanics and their interactions with the natives.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16397 on: March 06, 2014, 09:06:08 am »

Does it pick up? I've watched the first 5 episodes and there really doesn't seem to be much of a plot developing yet, beyond the stereotypical rescue mission and the subgenre's traditional explanation of RPG mechanics for the two people watching that didn't pick the show up because it's a trapped-in-game-world story. I mean, I like what was hinted at--the insidious nature of life in an MMO without the threat of death, the whole idea of the only meaning being that which you make for yourself--but ultimately philosophical navel-gazing and fights explained (poorly) in terms of game mechanics doesn't make for a whole lot of content.
The main plot develops after they get back from the rescue mission. I guess that was a warm up plot to get the "action" side of things out of the way. They really don't do any typical "quest" type stuff after that.

My impressions so far are pretty much the opposite of Taz's. I really am not really enjoying Kill La Kill (well the recent part is better since they're kicking off for the finale), I'm finishing that for completeness, but I'm having no trouble watching Log Horizon. I guess I like dialogue / politics based anime more that random violence.
Pretty much this for me. Uh except the Kill La Kill part. I'm enjoying Kill La Kill but I really like Log Horizon too. Years of reading fanfiction and 1632 have given me a love of fish out of water politics/inventing stories, and so I was pleasantly surprised to find that shortly after the point FD dropped it the plot turned into one of those. Its really turned into being about them being in a fantasy world that happens to follow RPG mechanics and their interactions with the natives.
Kill La Kill vs Log Horizon - I like em both for what they are.  They are different beasts under the same category, anime.

Sure, the setting for Log Horizon versus what people are doing may not seem... 'important', like in SAO.
In SAO, the theme is about... getting out and surviving. The characters are shown a clear way out, they gotta beat the tower to escape.
While in Log Horizon, the characters simply just got dumped into the world, no explanation or anything and left to their own devices.  There are no clues or anything to grasp at in-game, for em to get out.  Cause ya know, the only in-game way anyone knows how to get out is the logout button.  (I reckon they just skimmed over people beating their heads at the wall portion of it, cause it would end up getting nowhere anyways and it really isn't needed for the anime.)

Log Horizon's theme is more about making do with what you got dealt and making a place for yourself/adventurer-kind in a whole new world that noone understands and the inhabitants(NPC) of the new world have agency... it does not understand the Adventurers either.
While in SAO, yea... it shows that there are people who have given up.  These other side characters who are not part of the 'vanguard' have decided to settle down and make a life for themselves one way or another.  The NPC are just that, NPC.

Log Horizon does not suffer from uber powerful protagonist syndrome...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16398 on: March 06, 2014, 09:18:37 am »

Are all the people in Log Horizon orphans, or do they just hate their families

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16399 on: March 06, 2014, 09:20:51 am »

That applies to plenty of shows with young protagonist, but you have a point.

Spoiler: Speaking of KLK (click to show/hide)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16400 on: March 06, 2014, 01:19:54 pm »

My only shit with SAO was the stupid god terminal console and his sister.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16401 on: March 06, 2014, 01:29:51 pm »

Log Horizon picks up after the whole rescue arc. It's main theme is living in the videogame-turned-real world and make a life for themselves there.

Spoiler: serious spoilers (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 01:31:42 pm by majikero »

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16402 on: March 06, 2014, 02:21:14 pm »

And he doesn't even get to be on the boat.
I just realized that
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16403 on: March 06, 2014, 02:22:13 pm »

And he doesn't even get to be on the boat.
I just realized that
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Mind = blown.

Also, the opening scene of today's episode is... well, you'll see.

Spoiler: Oh shi- (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 02:55:07 pm by Darvi »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16404 on: March 06, 2014, 07:51:38 pm »

Well, damn it. Now I feel obliged to give Log Horizon a second chance.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16405 on: March 06, 2014, 08:51:59 pm »

Spoiler: KLK (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 08:53:34 pm by Wysthric »
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16406 on: March 06, 2014, 09:41:53 pm »

Since she is melded with life fibers, her mother placed false memories within Junketsu that quickly overwrites her own as they join together. Basically brainwashed.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16407 on: March 06, 2014, 09:51:50 pm »

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #16408 on: March 06, 2014, 09:52:29 pm »

Episode 17 of kill la kill was very much a surprise, I have to say. I think I'm starting to enjoy it a lot more now that the plot has been revealed more, and there is much less lewdness.

I'd argue that by episode 17 you've built immunity to the lewdness. There's still scantily clad females waving huge swords around and wearing talking lingerie, but it's pretty much normal by that point.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16409 on: March 06, 2014, 09:54:49 pm »

I'd argue that by episode 17 you've built immunity to the lewdness. There's still scantily clad females waving huge swords around and wearing talking lingerie, but it's pretty much normal by that point.
Having just watched the opening of Episode 21, you 'aint seen lewd yet.
Pages: 1 ... 1092 1093 [1094] 1095 1096 ... 2193