Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 990 991 [992] 993 994 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3077437 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #14865 on: August 29, 2013, 05:05:43 am »

I wonder if there was a way we could collect all of the Anime titles from the 300 (50 post spread) pages of discussion we have here, and throw it all into a genre-divided list from best to worst.

I don't know if there ever has been a mass list which has been mass-voted upon.
Probably because of the time and effort involved.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #14866 on: August 29, 2013, 05:38:57 am »

I like that idea. If anyone wants to volunteer, we can split up the work in chunks and fill out a Google spreadsheet. Rating them would probably be difficult, but we can have something like "Pros" "Cons" and "General Consensus", since I think we should be able to figure out from what's been written what the attitude about a certain series is but not really a star rating.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14867 on: August 29, 2013, 07:00:53 am »

I finished watching the Hellsing OVA and I'd like to share some thoughts:
1. I prefer the English dubs to watching it with subtitles. Alucard's English voice actor is great and Anderson just isn't the same without his accent.
2. The humour was very hit and miss with the hits coming every time they tried some dry, British-style humour and a miss everytime a joke was accompanied by an art shift (barring one short, well done gag). This is, of course, personal opinion.
3. Fuck fansubs.
4. Wasn't expecting this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now to watch the first Berserk movie.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14868 on: August 29, 2013, 07:11:05 am »

Akumetsu. Would recommend.
Echo this. It's pretty something. Parts amusing, parts interesting, parts somewhat unpleasant. Gets a little odd a bit through it, but... solid enough work. Good number of nice one-liners/scenes.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14869 on: August 29, 2013, 10:19:06 am »

. . . Am I the only person to notice that the Attack on Titan uniforms are imitations of bondage gear to the level seen in MGS2 Snake's costume, except with suspenders preferred over a corset?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14871 on: August 29, 2013, 11:00:27 am »

Didn't much like the ending.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14872 on: August 29, 2013, 12:17:48 pm »

I've heard if said that one of the easiest ways to start a fight on the Internet is to ask "subs or dubs?" on an anime forum, and then step back to watch the flaming. Without getting into which you prefer, do you guys think this is a fair assessment?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14873 on: August 29, 2013, 12:19:13 pm »

I watch hollywood movies in English because I dislike my brain's main quirk: be on the look out for lip- syncing. Idem with Animes. Hear Japanese, read English.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14874 on: August 29, 2013, 12:28:13 pm »

I've heard if said that one of the easiest ways to start a fight on the Internet is to ask "subs or dubs?" on an anime forum, and then step back to watch the flaming. Without getting into which you prefer, do you guys think this is a fair assessment?

Ehhhhh.... I think that with the internet being more wide-spread and more people going to Japanese art websites or whatever to look at cool stuff, this is becoming a lot less of a problem.  Previously, I felt that a lot of the split was based on a sort of "SUBS BECAUSE TROO ART" vs. "DUBS BECAUSE I HATE LISTENING TO JAPANESE," whereas now the argument is really more about

a. Which you can process better--written or auditory
b. Which conveys the information of the story better to you [varies based on the show]

I haven't seen a sub/dub war in years.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14875 on: August 29, 2013, 12:38:21 pm »

If you want to keep it that way, don't read YouTube comments on anime videos :P

So in your opinion, sub/dub wars aren't really a thing anymore?

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #14876 on: August 29, 2013, 12:44:05 pm »

Ehhhhh.... I think that with the internet being more wide-spread and more people going to Japanese art websites or whatever to look at cool stuff, this is becoming a lot less of a problem.  Previously, I felt that a lot of the split was based on a sort of "SUBS BECAUSE TROO ART" vs. "DUBS BECAUSE I HATE LISTENING TO JAPANESE," whereas now the argument is really more about

a. Which you can process better--written or auditory
b. Which conveys the information of the story better to you [varies based on the show]

I haven't seen a sub/dub war in years.

I prefer dubs when they're of exceptionally high quality and subs for basically everything else. I'm fine with reading off the bottom of the screen, and usually the show sounds a lot better with the subs. Exceptions exist of course, with the ones that I can think of offhand being Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14877 on: August 29, 2013, 12:48:20 pm »

. . . Am I the only person to notice that the Attack on Titan uniforms are imitations of bondage gear to the level seen in MGS2 Snake's costume, except with suspenders preferred over a corset?
I think they're basically standard full-body harnesses, only with an extra skirt-like bit and the boots attached to the harness.  Bondage gear probably looks like that due to people being suspended in the air during BDSM, but I don't think it's an intentional reference.

e: Did you know that Mikasa weighs more than Eren?  Thanks height/weight comparison image.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 12:51:03 pm by Leafsnail »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14878 on: August 29, 2013, 12:52:29 pm »

Like, the actual flame wars we used to have over them?  Yeah, I don't think that's a thing.  We'll argue over specific shows, but not over the validity of subs or dubs as a general practice.  It was really a patriotism issue that seems to have faded in the anime-watching set.

I'm subs-only, because my auditory processing kind of sucks, dubs can have vastly different things happen in them (less common, but still) and I usually feel like dubs are somehow poorly timed.  The quality has improved a lot over the past years, but in general I still feel like they get the vocal quality for the character wrong and I enjoy the show less.  Of course, this can be true for Japanese shows, too.  I imagine the Hellsing dub is probably a lot better than the original--I always thought the Japanese sounded kind of weird.  Similarly, I've tried to play a lot of games in Japanese, but I'd never play, say, Metal Gear, since I prefer the English-speaking cast.

I think they're basically standard full-body harnesses, only with an extra skirt-like bit and the boots attached to the harness.  Bondage gear probably looks like that due to people being suspended in the air during BDSM, but I don't think it's an intentional reference.

Yeah, I'm mostly saying that they seem to have some gartery thing going.  I noticed only when I was looking at some album-art where Eren is in a very female-gazey pose, and I was wondering if something was going on there.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14879 on: August 29, 2013, 01:04:15 pm »

Thank you for your input Vector, I've been wondering about those fabled flame wars for a while now.

Now since people are talking about it, I prefer dubs mostly. I agree that some of the older ones are pretty poor, but I tend towards English voice acting as a matter of practicality. If my attention is brought elsewhere while watching a subbed anime (or whatever), I run the risk of missing potentially important dialog because I can't read the translation. Whereas if everyone is speaking my native language, I can at least keep listening in even if I have to turn away from the screen. I'm not rabidly anti-sub by any means, its just not my preference if a dub is available.

Pages: 1 ... 990 991 [992] 993 994 ... 2193