Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 724 725 [726] 727 728 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061651 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #10875 on: March 28, 2012, 07:09:57 pm »

Both are fanservice. It's simply the sexual kind people are obsessed with complaining about.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #10876 on: March 29, 2012, 12:29:28 am »

Both are fanservice. It's simply the sexual kind people are obsessed with complaining about.

Well, if it didn't outright ruin some anime... (I'm looking at you, Rosario + Vampire)

what is a good netflixable anime to watch? (I know I asked this before).

Darker Than Black is on there, really enjoyed the first season, I'm going to start the second someday soon.

(japanese have no self defense force per the loss of ww2 right?)

No, they have a self defense force, but that's all they have. They do not have any standing military to be used for offense, just enough to defend their own homeland (with the help of US forces stationed there).
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10877 on: March 29, 2012, 12:51:44 am »

yes, it's the "familiar of zero". (last season was called zero no tsukaima F).
I kind of watched it hoping that finally the protagonist would grow a pair.
Turns out it was fanservice, or more fanservice, and a wrapped up ending.
Urgh.
I kind of prefer the Shakugan no shana and their no-sense naming way.

“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10878 on: March 29, 2012, 01:20:35 am »

Anyone here watched Macross 7? I haven't, but I found this incredibly hilarious.

Hey Boksi, actually I have now watched ALL the Macross's xD !! Took me a while to get into Macross 7, but once I settled past the first 10-12 episodes it was quite enjoyable. The best episode for me was the bonus episode "fleet of the strongest women".

"Speaker Pod Gamma" is the BEST Macross weapon ever, purely due to the enemies "Nando?" translated as "What The Fuck?" each time it's deployed (only appears twice though, so not overused).

First appearance of "Speaker Pod Gamma" : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Deu-i1C5t_A
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 01:29:35 am by Reelya »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10879 on: March 29, 2012, 01:34:52 am »

First appearance of "Speaker Pod Gamma" : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Deu-i1C5t_A
...huh. Well, I guess as war strategies go, attempting to seduce them with culture and attractive artists isn't a bad one. Gets you better enslavement terms and less genocide, if nothing else.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10880 on: March 29, 2012, 02:40:04 am »

It made the most sense in the original SDF Macross series, where it was an unintentional "culture shock" effect (The trope is actually the virus from "war of the worlds" when you think about it), which is fully explained due to the aliens' origins. And in Macross Plus, where there's nothing actually special about the music itself, it's just part of the story. I'll put Macross II in the "makes sense" category though it's not considered Canon, but i'd say it's a decent enough watch for SDF Macross/Robotech fans and the like, it's not great, but not as bad as "they" say.

Macross 7, Zero and Frontier all have to contrive mysticism-like futuristic powers and pseudo-science to explain how music is affecting things. Zero and Frontier get away with this due to superb production values, and enough else going on to enjoy that on you can overlook this aspect. While Macross 7's saving grace is reveling in the absurd silliness and just having fun with it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 02:56:15 am by Reelya »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10881 on: March 29, 2012, 09:41:02 am »

Ah, finished volume 21 and 22 of Berserk.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also finished volume 5 of SZS which well...I have to wonder what the authors did to make those paper blogs at the end.  Since Koji Kumeta is a pen name they're writing stories for a fictional person...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10882 on: March 29, 2012, 11:58:13 am »

yes, it's the "familiar of zero". (last season was called zero no tsukaima F).
I kind of watched it hoping that finally the protagonist would grow a pair.
Turns out it was fanservice, or more fanservice, and a wrapped up ending.
Urgh.
I kind of prefer the Shakugan no shana and their no-sense naming way.

Oh geez, yeah. ZnT fell so hard into the fanservice trap that it's hardly worth watching the later seasons. Judging from some of the better fanfics (Zero of the X series of Megaman games replacing Saito? YES PLEASE.) written using the novel canon as a base, I'm tempted to try and find a set of them, as they're apparently a bit more serious and plot-oriented.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10883 on: March 29, 2012, 12:04:28 pm »

I did not know about fanfics.
If you find some (in English/Italian/French) pass them along please. U_U
I read the novel on Baka-Tsuki till where they reached.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10884 on: March 29, 2012, 03:12:53 pm »

Well, if it didn't outright ruin some anime... (I'm looking at you, Rosario + Vampire)

what is a good netflixable anime to watch? (I know I asked this before).

Darker Than Black is on there, really enjoyed the first season, I'm going to start the second someday soon.

(japanese have no self defense force per the loss of ww2 right?)

No, they have a self defense force, but that's all they have. They do not have any standing military to be used for offense, just enough to defend their own homeland (with the help of US forces stationed there).
Of course the JSDF is among the most powerful and most modern militaries in the world.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10885 on: March 29, 2012, 11:12:17 pm »

Starting reading Gamble Fish, a manga all about a crazy gambling dude! I'm liking it quite a bit so far.

There is something odd though, in the manga, there's a school. The dean of the school is a goblin. Not literally, but close enough goddamn. He even has a fucking dungeon what the fuck is up with that.

Why's it called Gamble "fish"? The main character sure does love comparing getting chumps with 'catching fish'.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10886 on: March 30, 2012, 03:32:40 am »

the manga gets nicely *curvy*.
yeah.
fanservice ftw later on.
curves...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10887 on: March 30, 2012, 08:50:38 am »

You know with all this talk of my "Love/Hate" situations I thought of an anime I watched that I wrote off as "Dislike".

It is an Agatha Christie anime about Pariot, Mrs. Marple, and whoever that girl was.

However after really thinking about it. I think I just love the early episodes and dislike the later ones. The first Mrs. Marple mystery was my favorite in the entire show and actually is one of my favorite episodes in a detective anime period.

It is about a couple who had their uncle die but who Hidden a bar of gold somewhere but don't know where. Marple's insight into people is not only rather strong but there is a whole heartfelt backdrop.

I know I am probably the only one who thinks so... but I really loved that episode.

So I guess that is the game of today

Animes that have single episodes that stick out as greater, more fun, or just flat out more interesting then others.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 08:55:35 am by Neonivek »

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10888 on: March 30, 2012, 09:05:40 am »

There is one episode in Tsubasa Chronicles that fills that description, most of the anime is just filler dragging out the events of the manga to inhuman proportions. But one episode in it is brilliance and that is the episode that reveals Kurogane's past, it lacks the filler that plagues the rest of the series and builds at just the right pace towards the tragedy that happens. It was the first anime episode that actually made me cry and will always remain one of my favourite episodes of any anime.
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10889 on: March 30, 2012, 09:41:08 am »

Ok, I just got around to finishing FLCL 30 seconds ago (saw the first couple of eps ages ago, just sat through the whole 6 in a row).

I really don't know what to think ...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 09:58:25 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 724 725 [726] 727 728 ... 2193