Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 695 696 [697] 698 699 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3060540 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #10440 on: January 30, 2012, 04:11:14 pm »

Darian Crescend approves of that hairdo, by the way.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10441 on: January 30, 2012, 09:53:20 pm »

So I'm really enjoying the Legend of Koizumi manga.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Got to read this sometime; looks awesome.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10442 on: January 31, 2012, 01:51:07 am »

strange, doesn't look like Georgie boy jr.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10443 on: January 31, 2012, 02:50:25 am »

He looks more like himself in the main story (eg. after he is all grown up). And after a bit of research he doesn't look like himself in real life either when he was in college, huh.

Just caught up to the manga, which I must say is far better then the few episodes of the OVA's I watched, and I only have one real complaint: It would be so easy to stop all the cheating in the series (and I thought up a few ways to do so a few minutes after I was done catching up), that its ridiculous that they still have it, I know that I am supposed to suspend my disbelief for series such as this, but its a bit ridiculous how they even see their opponent cheating and they don't even do anything.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10444 on: January 31, 2012, 06:51:52 am »

He looks more like himself in the main story (eg. after he is all grown up). And after a bit of research he doesn't look like himself in real life either when he was in college, huh.

Just caught up to the manga, which I must say is far better then the few episodes of the OVA's I watched, and I only have one real complaint: It would be so easy to stop all the cheating in the series (and I thought up a few ways to do so a few minutes after I was done catching up), that its ridiculous that they still have it, I know that I am supposed to suspend my disbelief for series such as this, but its a bit ridiculous how they even see their opponent cheating and they don't even do anything.

Go ahead. You tell Koizumi to stop cheating.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10445 on: January 31, 2012, 09:15:06 am »

ohhh that manga i read. rofling moment (but spoilery) below:
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10446 on: January 31, 2012, 09:44:12 am »

I watched the Secret World of Arrietty just now. It was an extremely pleasant movie, and while I feel it didn't capitalize wholly on the premise, it was an amazingly cute movie with a very bittersweet ending. I know Ghibli doesn't do sequels, but I really feel it could use a continuation.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10447 on: January 31, 2012, 12:10:35 pm »

Sports manga 'n such always have cheating.  It's pretty much a required trope at this point.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10448 on: January 31, 2012, 12:42:11 pm »

Sports manga 'n such always have cheating.  It's pretty much a required trope at this point.
Yeah, the newest Kaiji arc in the manga (for English anyway) is just blatant cheating it's ridiculous.

The best part is

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10449 on: January 31, 2012, 02:20:45 pm »

They're politicians, what else would you expect?

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10450 on: January 31, 2012, 02:42:02 pm »

Go ahead. You tell Koizumi to stop cheating.
Well its not just that, they take so elaborate countermeasures to stop cheating (sometimes), and when they see it outright (all the other times), they usually just let it go.
I mean I have no problem with all the other CRAZY things that happen in the manga, but when they see cheating they let it go. I would be fine with it if it was somewhat secretive and everyone didn't know so obviously, but otherwise its a bit too ridiculous even for a manga that has a revived wagner (WTF?).

Yeah, the newest Kaiji arc in the manga (for English anyway) is just blatant cheating it's ridiculous.

The best part is
But that's different though, that's subterfuge, and although Kaiji knows the other dude is cheating, the other dude just thinks Kaiji is crazy lucky (cause he is a bit crazy). And if the other dude openly caught Kaiji cheating, he would probably have him killed, or at the very least beaten up and all his money taken.

I know I shouldn't be making such a big deal out of it, but I just find it so annoying that they cheat so openly and they still base international treaties and trade on who wins. Oh well, nothing I can do about it. :/
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10451 on: January 31, 2012, 02:45:35 pm »

They are both cheating.  I don't see how it's different.  Yes there is subterfuge but they are both definitely cheating the rules of the game.

EDIT:
Like Kaiji isn't suppose to know he's being cheated and I'm sure if the other guy was "revealed" it would not be a good thing for curly hairs.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 02:51:05 pm by ToonyMan »

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10452 on: January 31, 2012, 02:49:03 pm »

I watched the Secret World of Arrietty just now. It was an extremely pleasant movie, and while I feel it didn't capitalize wholly on the premise, it was an amazingly cute movie with a very bittersweet ending. I know Ghibli doesn't do sequels, but I really feel it could use a continuation.

I love ghibli, all of their movies are truly amazing.
although after watching this one, now I feel weird when I watch TV and I see commercials for it,
TV - "Coming soon the theaters, The Secret World of Arrietty!"
Me - "uhhhh.... I saw that 4 months ago..... o_O"

but it is cool that their movies are starting to come out in theaters in the U.S. but I wish it wasn't a year and a half after they came out in japan.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10453 on: January 31, 2012, 02:50:37 pm »

Seriously, it's based on world politics, right?  Of course they don't actually care about cheating, or really do anything but make a big noise and then sit around uncaringly.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

timotheus

• Bay Watcher
  • New to Dwarf Fortress.. Long time ASCII gamer..
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #10454 on: January 31, 2012, 11:20:09 pm »

Oh fine hive mind in the anime thread, I have a request.

My wife is open to watching some anime with me. This is a big deal. I haven't really watched anime much since 2009, so behind on what is out there.

My question is this, what series would be a good start, from ep 1? Nothing obviously harem, or lots of fan service. Strong, compelling story.

I was thinking Kino's Journey? Air? Or maybe the movie Girl who Leapt through Time?
twitter: @timotheus
email: tim@hithlonde.com
xmpp: tim@hithlonde.com
Pages: 1 ... 695 696 [697] 698 699 ... 2193