Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 696 697 [698] 699 700 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3059390 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #10455 on: January 31, 2012, 11:23:41 pm »

TGWLTT is good, I recommend it.
Also, anything by Ghibli.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10456 on: January 31, 2012, 11:23:50 pm »

Oh fine hive mind in the anime thread, I have a request.

My wife is open to watching some anime with me. This is a big deal. I haven't really watched anime much since 2009, so behind on what is out there.

My question is this, what series would be a good start, from ep 1? Nothing obviously harem, or lots of fan service. Strong, compelling story.

I was thinking Kino's Journey? Air? Or maybe the movie Girl who Leapt through Time?

Agent Aika

Nichijou: An Ordinary Life

Kino's Journey is just great for watching period. Of course it's recommended. I have not watched GWLTT, so no comments there.

Do you know if your wife has specific preferences?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10457 on: January 31, 2012, 11:34:26 pm »

I'd say Princess Mononoke, But Fuzzy already mentioned Ghibli.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10458 on: January 31, 2012, 11:46:54 pm »

I'm with you on all of those but Air, but I frankly kind of hated Air.  It just wasn't my show.

I'd also recommend something like Haibane Renmei--my mom loved that one.  I would recommend Wolf's Rain, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Last Exile, but they have some violence/psychological destruction problems to go with that strong, compelling story.  Paranoia Agent was also brilliant.  Oh, and maybe Azumanga Daioh.  My mom and I watched it together 6 years ago, and we still talk about it.

Other ones my mom really enjoyed watching with me were Totoro, Grave of the Fireflies, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Laputa.

I should add that I'm using my mother as a reference point as she's a somewhat socially conservative woman who doesn't do well with depictions of violence/stupid animoo shit.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10459 on: January 31, 2012, 11:51:15 pm »

Azumanga Daioh is good for comedy, certainly.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10460 on: January 31, 2012, 11:57:46 pm »

I find it hard to recommend something without knowing the person and their age etc.
my fiance had never watched anime, after dating for a year or so I knew her enough to know what kind of stuff she'd like, I showed her trigun and full metal alchemist and she LOVED them, also a few ghibli films,
I wouldn't really suggest either of those shows for the average "wife" but I knew my fiance and knew what she liked.  there's no way anyone can not like a ghibli film. but there are so many different kinds of anime.

I wouldn't recommend wolfs rain, or evangelion,  or last exile, (I personally liked last exile, well the first half of it, before it got all stupid)
wolfs rain is a bit violent and stupid, evangelion is like omg giant alien robots! and last exile starts off really cool, it's steampunk-ish, with warring nations that fight with giant airships, but then there are these other guys that show up that are like .... I don't remember, but they have advanced technology and don't really fit the show, and it just gets stupid.

grave of the fireflies will be the saddest thing either of you have ever seen.

if you're in your 20's she might like love hina, it's more of a chick anime.  or Inuyasha
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10461 on: February 01, 2012, 12:06:30 am »

... Love Hina is a blatant harem show and not at all geared towards women (the entire show is basically about a man falling into various people's breasts), and Inu-Yasha is one of the worst instances of series bloat I've ever seen.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10462 on: February 01, 2012, 12:11:39 am »

... Love Hina is a blatant harem show and not at all geared towards women (the entire show is basically about a man falling into various people's breasts), and Inu-Yasha is one of the worst instances of series bloat I've ever seen.

And kind of aimed at 14 yr-olds to begin with, so there's that.

Going through my list, I eye Ganketsuou and I feel I have to suggest that. Watch a great show and feel classy as hell the entire time with your wife.

EDIT: and Wakfu. That's always a great recommendation.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10463 on: February 01, 2012, 02:44:02 am »

Bah, Gankutsuou.  Yeah, that one was slow, but pretty brilliant.  Other than the suddenly giant robots part.

And... Wakfu?  Whuzzat?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10464 on: February 01, 2012, 02:49:54 am »

07th Expansion's site was redesigned.  ROSE GUNS DAYS

Hell yes.

EDIT:
Ugh, I just watched 5 episodes of Serial Experiments Lain in a row.  Episodes 5 to 9.  It's past 3am now.
Why do I like series like this so much.
Seriously jeez.

Bah, Gankutsuou.  Yeah, that one was slow, but pretty brilliant.  Other than the suddenly giant robots part.
And... Wakfu?  Whuzzat?
French show that's based on the game called Wakfu, which is a sequel to the game Dofus.  It's pretty good I like it.

Present Day, heh.  Present Time, hahahaha.

I am falling.  I am fading.  I am drowning
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 03:30:47 am by ToonyMan »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10465 on: February 01, 2012, 07:32:15 am »

And... Wakfu?  Whuzzat?

It is based on the game Wakfu and Dofus, which is actually pretty old and extremely detailed, but no knowledge of the game is necessary to enjoy the show. Me and my friends joke that the entirety of the Product of the France is used JUST to make Wakfu, because it's such astonishingly high quality.

Wakfu is a show that's completely unique, thoroughly entertaining, and friendly to any audience I can think of. The only thing I can think badly of it is that it has some filler, just a little bit, but it's such high quality filler that I can't complain. It should be noted though, that it makes the most seamless transition from filler to plot such, that once it slides back onto it's rails, you're stunned by the epic adventure that's told to you.

More people need to watch it. It's that good.

Also, I can't believe I didn't think of it earlier, Angel Beats. There's very few shows that actually excel at nearly everything they set out to do, Angel Beats is one of them.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 07:34:07 am by JoshuaFH »

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10466 on: February 01, 2012, 12:52:45 pm »

Also, I can't believe I didn't think of it earlier, Angel Beats. There's very few shows that actually excel at nearly everything they set out to do, Angel Beats is one of them.

If making people cry is something they set out for, sure.
Yeah, that's a legitimately great show that I and everyone I showed it to loved.

I know my mother really enjoyed watching Gurren Lagann, but that's not exactly a show for everyone. Especially not if you are avoiding fanservice.
Baccano maybe? It's funny and enjoyable, and I don't remember any fanservice.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #10467 on: February 01, 2012, 01:14:22 pm »

I've developed the inexplicable urge to dress the skeleton of an infant in a pimp suit and carry it around in my backpack.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10468 on: February 01, 2012, 02:46:33 pm »

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10469 on: February 01, 2012, 03:06:00 pm »

There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.
Pages: 1 ... 696 697 [698] 699 700 ... 2193