Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061348 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #7905 on: June 24, 2011, 04:48:18 pm »

Watching Rozen Maiden ~desu

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #7906 on: June 24, 2011, 05:27:17 pm »

I'm excited that Durarara! is coming to Adult Swim tomorrow, since my internet right now is horrifyingly slow. From all of the positive reviews of it here, it should be quite something.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7907 on: June 24, 2011, 06:32:03 pm »

I'm excited that Durarara! is coming to Adult Swim tomorrow, since my internet right now is horrifyingly slow. From all of the positive reviews of it here, it should be quite something.
Shizou?  Shizou.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7908 on: June 24, 2011, 08:57:33 pm »

Nice. JJBA is a fun series.
[...]
Also, unless you're getting it from somewhere else than I did, prepare yourself for massive amounts of engrish and generally bad scanlations. :P
You were right. Arc 1 was awesome, high quality. Arc 2 was still good, but a few chapters out of order. Arc 3 was of horrible quality, and I haven't started Arc 4 yet out of fear.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7909 on: June 24, 2011, 10:48:28 pm »

Shugo Chara by the same artists (PEACH-PIT) also has some ~desu in it, but not as much. Just made me laugh a bit when I heard it.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7910 on: June 24, 2011, 10:48:56 pm »

Shugo Chara by the same artists (PEACH-PIT) also has some ~desu in it, but not as much. Just made me laugh a bit when I heard it.

Dang it... What does Desu mean again?

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7911 on: June 24, 2011, 11:28:27 pm »

Dang it... What does Desu mean again?

I CAN HAS FIELD THIS QUESTION! I IS PROPERLY EDJAMAKATED TO ANSWER IT!
The suffix '-desu', most commonly pronounced 'des', is used at the end of sentences/words to state 'he/she/it/I/you is/are x'. For example, "Chaoswizkid-desu" would be "I am Chaoswizkid," so long as it was assumed that I am the subject (The proper way of saying that would be "Watashi wa Chaoswizkid-desu."). To my knowledge, the overuse of ~desu and the definition thereof actually means little to nothing, since it doesn't follow this grammatical ruling.

If someone knows more about the whole ~desu thing and its meaning, feel free to speak up about it. I just wanted to be sure that people knew that it stands for something else other than what seems to be word-spam.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7912 on: June 24, 2011, 11:32:09 pm »

I always assumed that it was a filler word with no real definable meaning, similar to "the" or "as" in the english language.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7913 on: June 25, 2011, 12:16:41 am »

Yeah, "desu" is basically "is."  There's a lot of different forms of how to say "is" in Japanese, but "desu" is mostly considered the politeness-neutral one.

So you can say:

"Sore wa nan desu ka?"

[That over there what is, huh?"
[What's that?]

"Kuruma desu."

[Car is.]
[It's a car.]

Or stuff like:

"Sou desu yo ne."
[That way is yup uh-huh]
[Ah, so that's how it is.]

Japanese is fun.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7914 on: June 25, 2011, 12:28:51 am »

SO I watched Pom Poko today, finishing off another Miyazaki classic. It was an excellent movie. I greatly recommend seeing it, as it's just an excellently presented story with really great characters, in a very nice story.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 12:31:10 am by JoshuaFH »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7915 on: June 25, 2011, 12:31:11 am »

Apparently the original "Japanese racoons" have pretty big balls, which the Japanese then blew out of proportion to make the animals into serious Symbols of Virility.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7916 on: June 25, 2011, 12:32:54 am »

Apparently the original "Japanese racoons" have pretty big balls, which the Japanese then blew out of proportion to make the animals into serious Symbols of Virility.

I mean, like, seriously, I can never look at Super Mario World's cape the same way ever again.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7917 on: June 25, 2011, 12:34:40 am »

The Tanuki discussion reminds me of Shaman King... oh Shaman King... how the hell did you ever end up as a Saturday morning cartoon...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7918 on: June 25, 2011, 12:35:17 am »

Do they? I thought it was just a connection they made to old people.

Since they have the animal and the mythological creature of the same name... that I dare not spell out of fear of spelling it incorrectly.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7919 on: June 25, 2011, 01:39:12 am »

Code Geass Episode 9, or Lelouch kicks things into high gear.

Spoiler: Spoilers for episode 9 (click to show/hide)
Hrm, maybe I'll watch Rozen Maiden too.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 02:18:45 am by Acanthus117 »
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."
Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 2193