Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065420 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #7185 on: April 10, 2011, 09:48:50 am »

Oh cool, the newest One Piece episode has a new opening.  I guess it was about time eh?

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #7186 on: April 10, 2011, 12:20:50 pm »

Even worse, why do you wait until you have a world famous detective visiting to kill someone?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7187 on: April 10, 2011, 01:54:39 pm »

I don't know if that is a steriotype that holds up in most cases since the detective is called before or after the murder takes place.

In Case Closed? Definately.

The World of Detective Conan either must have such INSANELY high murder rates that a detective can't help but solve a few murders before lunch just going about their day... Or Conan for some reason encourages people to kill.

Honestly I'd love for someone to get every detective show that takes place in Japan and use it to determin the murder rates.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7188 on: April 10, 2011, 01:59:43 pm »

Leafsnail and I always joke about Detective Conan because the the amount of murders they are involved with is insane.  The only way the author can work around this is just by ignoring it.  I think he's at 70 volumes now too!  Insane man insane.  I haven't checked out his newer chapters so I don't know if he tries to do anything different.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7189 on: April 10, 2011, 02:10:28 pm »

Or Conan for some reason encourages people to kill.
He's annoying as hell.  The only surprising thing is that he isn't the target.

I do think it's cool when the detective being called is all part of the culprit's AMAZING PLAN TO CREATE A NEEDLESSLY COMPLEX ALIBI though.  After all, the detective's magical aura of nonsuspicion makes them the ideal witness.

Leafsnail and I always joke about Detective Conan because the the amount of murders they are involved with is insane.  The only way the author can work around this is just by ignoring it.  I think he's at 70 volumes now too!  Insane man insane.  I haven't checked out his newer chapters so I don't know if he tries to do anything different.
Man, it must be getting up to something like 600.  And Japan's murder rate isn't very high.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7190 on: April 10, 2011, 02:13:12 pm »

70 volume manga, and 609 episodes of the anime. I love Detective Conan, but I just wish that the whole series would be reduxed, and made smaller. Like, alot smaller. I love solving mysteries with Conan, but the plot-filled episodes were always the best, and if the series were remade to be completely plot with murder mysteries, that'd just be awesome.

Did you know that Detective Conan is the sixth longest running anime series of all time?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_anime_series_by_episode_count

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7191 on: April 10, 2011, 02:26:53 pm »

IT ISN'T #1!?!

I realised Doraemon had more... but it isn't even #1 either.

Well how much could the #1 be?

OVER 6000!?!

What the heck!?!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7192 on: April 10, 2011, 02:32:51 pm »

Also, I've been thoroughly enjoying One Outs! I'm on ep 15 at the moment.

Has anyone ever played Wii Baseball? You know how there's no real interaction with the team or strategy of any kind, it's just a one v one battle between the pitcher and the batter, where if the batter gets three strikes, gets a grounder, or a pop fly, the pitcher wins; anything else and the batter wins? That's basically the premise behind the fictional gambling game in One Outs.

I really like the show though, it's teaching me a whole lot about baseball, and that there's seemingly quite a lot of strategy in the sport. Toua, the main character, has to be the most heinous clever bastard and rules lawyer in order to stop his own team owner, Saikawa, from screwing him and his own team purposefully, and then beat him at his own game to run off with tens of millions of dollars.

I'm probably going to finish this up pretty quick, so if I had to say it, One Outs is the baseball equivalent to Death note. Can anyone recommend me anything similar? Since it looks like I'm going to be finishing up One Outs pretty darn quick.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 02:36:13 pm by JoshuaFH »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7193 on: April 10, 2011, 02:35:02 pm »

You mean where characters come with intricate nearly psychic omnisiant plans right infront of you and set them in motion in the most hammy overly dramatic way possible?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7194 on: April 10, 2011, 02:38:42 pm »

You mean where characters come with intricate nearly psychic omnisiant plans right infront of you and set them in motion in the most hammy overly dramatic way possible?

Exactly!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7195 on: April 10, 2011, 02:41:36 pm »

Exactly!

While I COULD give you shows that have had it in it... You see... writing becomes lazier as it goes on.

Anime doesn't LIKE to actually have characters think things out.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7196 on: April 10, 2011, 06:33:26 pm »

I was just hoping that someone might throw out an obscure anime I never heard of that's fairly intellectual in it's design. I've been researching for awhile, but haven't found anything else that's quite up to par.

I might try watching Higurashi or something after I finish One Outs. I heard that was good.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7197 on: April 10, 2011, 06:42:50 pm »

There is the Gundam themed episode of Excell Saga. Though perhaps that is more of an example as to how far Genre savyness can go...

Well I'll try to find something with what you want... Maybe I seen it before but don't remember.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7198 on: April 10, 2011, 06:55:27 pm »

Don't stress yourself out, I've been doing a pretty thorough search myself for the last week or so, and I only stumbled upon One Outs by accident.

So don't feel obligated to go into any exhaustive search on my behalf.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7199 on: April 10, 2011, 06:56:30 pm »

Hmm... read Black Jack?  How about Mushishi?

There's also Hikaru no Go, which I found pretty enjoyable.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 2193