Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061499 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #6900 on: March 20, 2011, 03:59:54 pm »

Chobits was seinen.

It was the seinen to the max, which is an appropriate thing to say when talking about seinen.

I have started reading anyway and had mixed feelings about it, but thanks for the opinions guys. I was a little put off to hear I would be missing out by not reading xxxHolic at the same time, but at the same time I also was in joy and confused when a few chapters in suddenly "oh what the heck it's Chii.".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6901 on: March 20, 2011, 04:03:48 pm »

Chobits was seinen.

Yeah... I know, I should make that distinction, but at the same time it's full of cutesy girls.

Thanks for the correction, anyway.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6902 on: March 20, 2011, 04:25:29 pm »

I just finished watching all 13 episodes of Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, and I have to say that it was a very entertaining show. The ending was about as awkward and out-of-left-field as anything ever, making way for the second season in what is probably the most artificial and unthought-out way I can really imagine.

Besides that, it's a great show, and I personally recommend it.

Now, what next?

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #6903 on: March 20, 2011, 05:17:03 pm »

Don't think so.  I really only enjoy CLAMP as a manufacturer of tooth-rotting sweetness, and nothing else.

Didn't CLAMP do the character designs for Code Geass?
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6904 on: March 20, 2011, 05:18:15 pm »

Chobits was seinen.

Yeah... I know, I should make that distinction, but at the same time it's full of cutesy girls.

Thanks for the correction, anyway.

Lots of seinen stuff is full of cutesy girls. :I

Don't think so.  I really only enjoy CLAMP as a manufacturer of tooth-rotting sweetness, and nothing else.

Didn't CLAMP do the character designs for Code Geass?

Yes.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6905 on: March 20, 2011, 05:18:50 pm »

I know, I know... like Ichigo Marshmallow.  My fault D:
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #6906 on: March 20, 2011, 05:21:21 pm »

Lots of seinen stuff is full of cutesy girls. :I
The only reason you can really tell Chobits is seinen is because Hideki is kind of a doofus. If it were shoujo he would be [exaggeration]King Sexy-Perfect[/exaggeration].
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6907 on: March 20, 2011, 05:25:49 pm »

Also, to answer the question of why I wasn't hating on the Liar Game dorama, when it diverged from the manga so shamelessly, is twofold:

1. I kind of enjoy spotting the differences between the same thing done in two different mediums. If the two were the same, then obviously one makes the other obsolete. However, if the two are different, then you can watch both, and draw two entirely different sources of enjoyment from them! It would have been a huge waste of my time if it turned out that the dorama was word-for-word identical to the manga, cause I've already read it! I got to enjoy it again this way though.

2. Liar Game really lends itself well to this form of alternate interpretation. In the dorama, we get to see alot of things that are simply never even alluded to in the manga: like how the President of the LGT Office has a large hand in how the events turned out; or how Liranira is now a CREEPY doll man, ala Saw. The LGT Secretariats now have much larger speaking roles, more flushed out personalities, and even their own backstories! Even if it's completely non-canon fanfic'ing, gushed out independantly of the author, it's still very enjoyable.

The only thing I can't really pin down is 'why'? Alot of characters were excised completely from the dorama, which could be explained away from the studio either not having enough money to hire that many actors or for similar place-ins simply not being available. There were also alot of unusual changes to Yokoya's character that didn't help or hinder his role in the story, it was all just really arbitrary changes, like hair color, and now he has glowing green eyes.

I still have season two though, I wonder how that's going to turn out.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6908 on: March 20, 2011, 05:47:04 pm »

Last night I watched F/SNs episodes 8, 9 and 10.

Shirou, you are the main character and that means you are important, but Jesus Fucking Christ, can you grow up already?

Idealism is for BABIES. Pragmatism and realism are the way to go, broski.

Also, Saber's still cool (but sorta reminds me of Rei, but only because of the whole "stands in front of a dude naked without a care in the world, but Saber's doing that because she wants Mr. Emiya to realize she's not a human and therefore shouldn't be treated as one, in terms of things like that), Rin's a better character once you get to know her, I still feel terribad for Sakura, Shinji's a dick, Rider's hair is obscenely long (and I wonder why they keep on showing shots of her... assets, if you know what I mean), Ilya is adorable and I feel sympathetic towards her even if she had Berserker bitchslap Mr. Emiya, Assassin's kinda... creepy, and I'm wondering how Shirou'll be able to restore his Servant's mana.

Also, what are the physical requirements of a Servant? I'm guessing Saber's the exception, when it comes to drinking and eating and sleeping since she wasn't summoned, but I thought since she was a spirit, you wouldn't need to eat and shit (does she need to shit?).

Another thing... can conventional weapons (guns, bombs, etc.) harm a Servant in any way? Say that Shirou decides to steal an AK-47 from... the Yakuza or something.

Let's say he has a decent level of competence, and he goes out and tries to fight Assassin or someone else.

Can he even hurt the servants?

Also, I watched NGE Episode 9.

It was lulzy to see this Shinji wearing that gay looking music outfit thing (no offense to gay people), I had my first mote of sympathy for Asuka (compounded by Shinji being an utter perverted guy who I want to punch in the balls), Rei is awesomely creepy as always, Misato and Kaji OTP, Ritsuko... well, to me, Ritsuko was always a bit boring, but w/e.

My favorite part was when the Class Rep thought Shinji and Asuka were, quote and quote "Living in a life of sin" and when jock boy and glasses guy (can never remember their names) thought Shinji betrayed them :D
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6909 on: March 20, 2011, 05:50:15 pm »

I just finished watching all 13 episodes of Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, and I have to say that it was a very entertaining show. The ending was about as awkward and out-of-left-field as anything ever, making way for the second season in what is probably the most artificial and unthought-out way I can really imagine.

Besides that, it's a great show, and I personally recommend it.

Now, what next?
What do you have thought out already as choices?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6910 on: March 20, 2011, 05:56:23 pm »

You want to punch Shinji in the balls Acanthus? Man, life just keeps getting harder and harder for poor Shinji.

For what I have thought out as choices, Toony, my choices are pretty limited at the moment, due to some restraints on technology and location and such. Basically, I'm thinking my next anime will be Maze: Megaburst Space, Jubei-chan season 2, Hare + Guu, Giant Robo, Godannar, Liar Game Season 2, Lucky Star, or Black Heaven.

I have more than that available to me, but I'm not interested in watching them at the moment.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6911 on: March 20, 2011, 05:58:32 pm »

Jubei-Chan 2 was pretty darned awesome.  I quite enjoyed it.

Lucky Star is okay, but I don't think you can watch it all in one sitting.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6912 on: March 20, 2011, 06:01:01 pm »

You want to punch Shinji in the balls Acanthus? Man, life just keeps getting harder and harder for poor Shinji.

I have no sympathy for perverts.

NONE.

IF I COULD, I WOULD KICK HIS ASS TO CHINA.

AND THEN TELL HIM VERY POLITELY NOT TO DO THAT AGAIN.

OR ELSE.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #6913 on: March 20, 2011, 06:11:07 pm »

Wait til you see End of Evangelion.

I kinda lost all sympathy for him after the first five minute of that. Not that I had much to begin with.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6914 on: March 20, 2011, 06:14:40 pm »

Raeg.

I have more sympathy for Shirou than for Shinji, since Shirou's merely a misguided and naive chap who wants to bear the whole world's troubles on his shoulders and finish off these grail wars, while Shinji's a cowardly wimpy perverted douche who deserves a nutpawnch.

Also, when Shirou swallowed the gem, and he was tripping out, I imagined someone playing "Because I Got High" or something.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 2193