Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3077399 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #4575 on: September 30, 2010, 06:24:33 pm »

I guess... descent into power smashes isn't exactly uncommon.  I mean, there can come a point where the good guys don't really need to work all that hard in order to win.  After that... well, there just isn't any tension.

On the other hand, there's sortof a narrative need for growth in the protagonists, so they kindof have to be presented as stronger... and in a long running series, this leads to loaaaaaads of worfing.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4576 on: September 30, 2010, 06:30:43 pm »

I guess... descent into power smashes isn't exactly uncommon.  I mean, there can come a point where the good guys don't really need to work all that hard in order to win.  After that... well, there just isn't any tension.

On the other hand, there's sortof a narrative need for growth in the protagonists, so they kindof have to be presented as stronger... and in a long running series, this leads to loaaaaaads of worfing.

Eh, there's always moral tension, heroic sacrifices, and so on.  They can help.

If the same people are consistently worfed, that can lead to a lot of character development on their part, too.  Shonen tropes don't always have to be negative.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4577 on: September 30, 2010, 06:43:31 pm »

Enjoyed the newest Bleach.  Was sufficiently tragic, yet sufficiently creepy.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4578 on: September 30, 2010, 06:47:22 pm »

Eh, I'm a total Fullmetal Alchemist fanboy now.  Never thought I would be.

FMA seemed pretty mediocre when I watched it.
What really got me hooked was FMA:B.

Existing characters got additional depth, the ones newly added are quite interesting and the story is well-tought-out and dramatic.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: September 30, 2010, 06:49:16 pm »

That would be 290 right?

Eh, I'm a total Fullmetal Alchemist fanboy now.  Never thought I would be.

Existing characters got additional depth, the ones newly added are quite interesting and the story is well-tought-out and dramatic.
Yeah exactly, the first series was full of just meh stuff at the beginning.  It only started getting better around episode 12, but then a bit after that is when they couldn't follow the manga anymore.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4580 on: October 01, 2010, 07:29:27 am »

I'm just watching the last dozen or so episodes now. Father is the first villain in a long time to actually scare the shit out of me and intimidate me.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: October 01, 2010, 01:38:30 pm »

I'm just watching the last dozen or so episodes now. Father is the first villain in a long time to actually scare the shit out of me and intimidate me.
Duke and I are on episode 56, I plan to marathon this with him during the weekend.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #4582 on: October 01, 2010, 01:46:54 pm »

Yeah exactly, the first series was full of just meh stuff at the beginning.  It only started getting better around episode 12, but then a bit after that is when they couldn't follow the manga anymore.
Hmmm, given that I heared I lot of praise for FMA, I thought this praise is generally directed against Brotherhood.
Because I watched the first series and I plainly agree with Mindmaker...But seems like I'll have to watch that Brotherhood sometime soon.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: October 01, 2010, 02:15:44 pm »

Brotherhood is awesome, no point in discussing that, unless you all want to keep saying how awesome it is.

On the note of awesome things, FT has a crazy awesome soundtrack, one of the best anime soundtracks in my opinion even

Link'd for awesome

« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 05:51:59 am by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4584 on: October 01, 2010, 11:51:16 pm »

Ahh good old fashion introducing seemingly important characters only to be killed off the very same episode. It smells like cookie cutter.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: October 02, 2010, 12:02:52 pm »

Go watch Panty & Stocking.  Its great.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4586 on: October 02, 2010, 08:04:09 pm »

That would be 290 right?
Yeah.  I wouldn't exactly say the anime is coming back to life though.  More like watching a sucky fireworks show that suddenly got more entertaining when the firing platform caught on fire and set off the rest of the fireworks.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4587 on: October 03, 2010, 12:01:39 am »

omg brotherhoods on right now squeeeeeeeeeeee
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Lawton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: October 03, 2010, 07:35:52 pm »

Go watch Panty & Stocking.  Its great.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They just killed the monster of the week with poledancing.
I don't even know how to describe this. Also, thats the first time i've heard a censoring beep in anime. I didn't realize that japan actually had words that would get censored considering they had covered pretty much every swear in the book before hitting that one.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4589 on: October 03, 2010, 07:37:39 pm »

I think it's an area related thing (some areas are pretty tough, others pretty lax).  There are a couple of derogatory-to-women terms that are bleeped in some areas.
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 2193