Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3077278 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #4560 on: September 27, 2010, 03:46:03 pm »

Continuing with FMA:B Episode 14.
God I love the intro music.
Next episode is a different opening.

Is it any good?

For some reasons animes like to keep the same artist for all their openings... often causing the first intro to be perfect and spot on... and all the ones afterwords random.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: September 27, 2010, 03:47:46 pm »

The second opening is my least favorite, then the one after that is my favorite.

The first one is my second favorite.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: September 27, 2010, 04:07:52 pm »

Continuing with FMA:B Episode 14.
God I love the intro music.
Next episode is a different opening.

Is it any good?

It's ok.
Not great, but I've seen worse.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: September 27, 2010, 04:23:08 pm »

I think they try to change openings just as you're starting to really like the old one.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: September 28, 2010, 09:18:39 am »

The second opening is my least favorite, then the one after that is my favorite.

POKA FACE BORDA LINE

Speaking of Fullmetals, I just recently started watching Full Metal Panic!
Somewhere around Ep 13 on FMP and 13 on FMP: Fumoffu.
Pony is severely disturbing.  Most of the series is pretty good though.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 09:20:51 am by Cecilff2 »
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: September 28, 2010, 10:57:17 am »

"Hmm, this is getting confusing.  I'm sure a chart will help me and OH GOD WHAT THE FUCK"

Incidentally, yes, the third FMA:B op is awesome.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: September 28, 2010, 12:21:50 pm »

Huh... FMA: Brotherhood is just coming out on 'tv' in the engrish world?  I expect the fansub part of it to be finished already?

Well, I stopped keeping any tabs on it after I finished off the manga...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: September 28, 2010, 02:28:10 pm »

Subs are all here, FUNimation have dubbed up to episode 26 so far.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: September 30, 2010, 02:44:41 pm »

Well looks like I lost faith in Shonen (I think it is Shonen) anime... not going to come back for a while.

What did it? Marchen Awakens Romance (and maybe the last 5 animes I also watched... I am starting to understand why I tried to stop watching animes about fighting)

After watching a bit of anime I noticed that for the most part once an anime gets going the battles will be settled by pure raw power.

Heck even Full Metal Alchemist eventually boiled into that eventually (though it took a loooong time)... but no every single anime just boils down into "Hey, lets just use our ultimate attack that should have obvious weaknesses". Which wouldn't be annoying in animes that were always about overpowering your enemy (Sailormoon and DBZ for example) but in some that start off being almost entirely about strategy and how you use your weapons and techniques it feels like the anime is degenerating into just another standard anime.

In Marchen Awakens Romance there are a few "ARM" (Equipment) types.
-Nature: Like spells
-Weapon: swords and stuff
-Guardian: Summons a creature, however the wearer cannot move while this happens (Super powerful for some reason)
-Curse: Bestows a curse on its target but the user has to pay in some manner
-Holy: So far it only cures and heals. Can easily dispel curses apperantly.

Now with Guardian you would think that battles against Guardian users would be about mobility, attempting to take out the user without being hit by their guardian... But no... with little exception the guardian is just their ultimate attack. Which eventually ALL of them get.

Curse's lack of real weakness kicks in after a bit with characters who arn't affected by the curse at all... but that is less annoying since I've never seen animes really hold powerful weaknesses as existing after a while... Which is MOST apperant in one anime where one character's power is to turn Tomatos into Lava (but NEVER seems to run out... honestly even if he held a crate it would be odd with the amount he uses...) and another is that he can use his powers only while holding his breath (but NEVER seems to suffer for it no matter how long a battle lasts).

Dang it Anime! Why do you try so hard at first and then get lazy as time goes on? Why!?! WHYYYYY!!!?????!!!!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: September 30, 2010, 03:14:52 pm »

but no every single anime just boils down into "Hey, lets just use our ultimate attack that should have obvious weaknesses". Which wouldn't be annoying in animes that were always about overpowering your enemy (Sailormoon and DBZ for example) but in some that start off being almost entirely about strategy and how you use your weapons and techniques it feels like the anime is degenerating into just another standard anime.

Eh, my opinion was always that Dragonball was more about personality than anything else.  If you're paying more attention to the development of the characters and their interactions than the explosions, it's actually a pretty interesting show.

I think the problem with a lot of shonen nowadays is that it's written in the reverse: they want to show a lot of things dying and being blown up, and don't understand that the reason why we actually read Dragonball is because a. it's hilarious and b. the characters are so ... understandable.  It doesn't carry over much to the English translation, but the dialogue is so well-written that one really gets a handle on each character's mentality.

The other problem I've noticed is that along with this shift, storytelling is becoming more text-based than pictorially-based, so that we can no longer read a character's feelings at a glance and instead must rely on cheap tricks for jokes (chibi, hitodama, other misrepresentations).  The backgrounds aren't as detailed and, in general, the characters aren't as detailed, either... rather than allowing characters to be absurd from time to time, so much effort is put on "likability" that everyone seems to be an expy of another, better-known character.

And don't get me started on world-building... there's so much emphasis put on "logical construction" that it seems like a lot of the manga is taken up with explanation of mechanics (I'm looking at you, Naruto) rather than telling a story.  There's sourcebooks for that, darn it.

tl;dr: I agree with you, but for different reasons.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: September 30, 2010, 03:18:28 pm »

Eh, I'm a total Fullmetal Alchemist fanboy now.  Never thought I would be.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: September 30, 2010, 03:35:31 pm »

If you're paying more attention to the development of the characters and their interactions than the explosions, it's actually a pretty interesting show

Pre-Z definately. It wasn't even about the fights (especially since Goku could easily win all of them until more then halfway through the series) but the characters.

Z and on it was rather weak.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: September 30, 2010, 04:24:09 pm »

If you're paying more attention to the development of the characters and their interactions than the explosions, it's actually a pretty interesting show

Pre-Z definately. It wasn't even about the fights (especially since Goku could easily win all of them until more then halfway through the series) but the characters.

Z and on it was rather weak.

The manga maintained its strength rather well.  I actually found the conclusion of the Cell Games rather heartbreaking.  Then there was Vegeta learning to emotionally connect (and spending some 10 years impotently stewing), Gohan and Goten growing up fatherless, Yamcha and Kuririn learning to accept their weaknesses... meh.  I loved the entire damned thing.

Don't talk to me about GT, though.  It doesn't exist.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: September 30, 2010, 04:45:16 pm »

Don't talk to me about GT, though.  It doesn't exist.

That sure was long ago...
But I don't remember it being so horrible.
There was a strong emphasis on the davneture part of the series.
And from what I know It had some interesting twists.

However I might as well be wrong, as I don't remember much of it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: September 30, 2010, 06:03:00 pm »

The main thing wrong with it is that Toriyama had nothing to do with it, and the ending of the original series was already perfect.  And Gokuu saving the day again, over and over, when the main point of the latter half of Z was passing the torch to the next generation.

Also SSJIV and Vegeta's mustache... those were just bad design choices, seriously.

Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 2193