Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1736 1737 [1738] 1739 1740 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3058131 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #26055 on: January 18, 2016, 10:31:41 pm »

Just finished Orguss. That ending was weirdly abrupt?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 11:07:52 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26056 on: January 18, 2016, 10:52:01 pm »

People say:
"I've heard it's hard to learn because the sentences are backwards",
to which I usually reply:
"'I'm going to the shops' translates to 'Me-shop-go'. It's a child's language."

fuck bro that's pretty racist

...actually, wait a minute, "me shop go"? i'm reasonably sure they have conjugation over there, i get the feeling that them saying "me shop go" is about as accurate as saying the equivalent english phrase is "i to go shops."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26057 on: January 18, 2016, 10:54:17 pm »

Gems mixed in with garbage... and even the gems sometimes turn into garbage.
That applies to basically any entertainment though. Sturgeon's law and all that.

To a degree... but some garbage smells worse then others and Super Hero comics are quite rancid right now.

Mind you Comics themselves aren't as bad... for example the Jem and the holograms comic.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26058 on: January 18, 2016, 11:03:42 pm »

People say:
"I've heard it's hard to learn because the sentences are backwards",
to which I usually reply:
"'I'm going to the shops' translates to 'Me-shop-go'. It's a child's language."

fuck bro that's pretty racist

...actually, wait a minute, "me shop go"? i'm reasonably sure they have conjugation over there, i get the feeling that them saying "me shop go" is about as accurate as saying the equivalent english phrase is "i to go shops."

Yeah, it's completely wrong.

私は店に行きます
"Watashi wa mise ni ikimasu"

"I am shop to going" roughly.

Another example:

"He gave me a book"
Kare wa watashi ni hon o kuremashita.
彼は私に本をくれました。

By the other logic it should be "he book me give", but it's clearly not that. The best breakdown word-for-word is:

he did me to book the give.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 11:39:45 pm by Reelya »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26059 on: January 18, 2016, 11:05:59 pm »

Kinda hard to work out how the syntax works when all I have to work with is Google "Sodding Useless" Translate, but "I'm going to the shops" translates to "watashi wa o-ten ni ikimasu yo", which translates back to "I'm your - you go to the store".
Removing the hyphen gives the slightly more sensible "I go to I'll shop", and just "oten ni ikimasu yo" gives "Go to the shop".
Finally, "oten ni ikimasu" gives "We will go to the shop", which is the closest I can get to the intended meaning at my current weeb level.

E: Ninja'd by Reelya. He knows more moon-runes than I do.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26060 on: January 19, 2016, 12:04:08 am »

"'I'm going to the shops' translates to 'Me-shop-go'."
I'm reasonably sure they have conjugation over there, i get the feeling that them saying "me shop go" is about as accurate as saying the equivalent english phrase is "i to go shops."
Yeah, it's completely wrong.

Except that's not how the particles work.

"Watashi wa mise ni ikimasu"

Is I (topic) shop (place) go.

Like how:
"Ore wa Nihon go hanashimashou"
Is Me (topic) Japan (language) spoke.

Edit: I wonder how many Germans look at English like:
"what a peasant's language. Half their words are from us."
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 12:12:55 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26061 on: January 19, 2016, 12:12:39 am »

I think I understand what Tack's saying; but it's kind of an overly literal translation
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26062 on: January 19, 2016, 02:09:30 am »

That's because our language is built on specificity and Japanese is built on generality
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #26063 on: January 19, 2016, 02:45:34 am »

Pretty sure that freaky grammar applies to most other unrelated languages though; and it's still understandable blind translated, which should speak volumes about how surprisingly similar human languages are.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26064 on: January 19, 2016, 08:33:21 am »

"I'm going shopping" has the same level of complexity as the Japanese version. Three word components with inflections to tell you things like past/present/future tense. "Me shop go" is not a correct translation.

I think the implication that Japan just has a "go" verb that doesn't specify anything isn't born out when you look at verb forms:

http://www.japaneseverbconjugator.com/VerbDetails.asp?txtVerb=IKIMASU

There are 24 verb forms of "go" and another 24 verb forms of the negation of go.

Think back to Life of Brian. We could mock Latin just the same. "Romans go house" can be "the Romans are going to the house". What a crude language!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 08:49:00 am by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26065 on: January 19, 2016, 08:37:33 am »

Just caught the first two episodes of Dimension W, and wow. It's like someone stuck Cowboy Bebop in a blender with a bunch of Asimov's stories from the golden age of SF. Even if it has pretty much the exact same disconcerting CGI cars as Initial D. Give it a shot if you haven't already.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26066 on: January 19, 2016, 10:00:27 am »

Wow, so funny, the guy in Musaigen no Phantom World got seriously beaten up by the girls multiple times in a row just for trying to be helpful. It's extra humorous because the best survey data from the real world suggests that completely one-sided domestic violence is actually more common when the victim is male than female. Touche anime writers, you really got us there, lol.*

* let's keep the discussion within anime however.

Musaigen no Phantom World lampshaded it's first anime cliche - guy gets face planted in girl's crotch, but they haven't even bothered to do that any more. In episode one they try and make the guy look genre-savvy. But he's now a generic victim of anime hijinks and there's no self-awareness. I makes me like all the characters involved much less:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 11:08:32 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26067 on: January 19, 2016, 11:52:03 am »

Well watched anime's 3 minute shows

One about Marshmellows and another about sushi

and WOW... I am sorry to say it but Japan SHAMES the US in terms of 3 minute episodes...

I actually love the Marshmellow one. While the Sushi one, I can't tell if it is supposed to be ironic or not which muddles the humor (as in the Sushi Police are supposed to be the villains who force people to adhere to a very strict definition of Sushi)

While the Marshmellow one is about a fat dude having street fighter fights with a co-worker.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26068 on: January 19, 2016, 12:04:44 pm »

Yeah, it's what I was saying about Teekyu, they pack so much into every 2 minute ep. Actually 30 seconds of theme song, then you get 90 seconds in which they cover roughly the amount of plot that would be an entire episode of most slice of life shows.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 12:11:18 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26069 on: January 19, 2016, 12:06:40 pm »

then you get 90 seconds in which they cover roughly the amount of plot that would be an entire episode of most slice of life shows.

Not exactly a fair comparison when Slice of Life and Romance often barely have enough plot to fit on a post it note.
Pages: 1 ... 1736 1737 [1738] 1739 1740 ... 2193