Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1670 1671 [1672] 1673 1674 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3054525 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #25065 on: October 20, 2015, 09:37:51 am »

I'd ask whether necrophilia in and of itself is a crime in Japan, but I don't want that in my search history.

--

Caught the new episode of Iron-Blooded Orphans. I'm liking what they're doing with it more and more as it progresses, layering the traditional anti-war underpinnings with the hard side of Real Robot in the vein of 08th MS Team and what looks to be shaping up as the usual one-ship-versus-everyone formula.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25066 on: October 20, 2015, 10:40:05 am »

Peeping Life TV (not to be confused with another anime of the same name) has terrible ratings but perhaps the most memorable opening credits of the season. Basically the concept is anime characters of the 1970's in mundane everyday situations. The dialogue sounds fairly ad libbed, too, so it lacks a scripted feeling, and it's done with obvious cell-shaded computer animation that looks pretty cheap. Given the adlib dialogue, I'd guess that the audio is done first, then they sync the 3D stuff to match.

It's similarly done to Tesagure! Bukatsumono (which deconstructs highschool anime tropes), but Tesagure! Bukatsumono was a lot funnier, since you can easily "get" the tropes they're deconstructing, whereas for Peeping Life, watching Astro Boy or characters from Yatterman stand around having completely mundane conversations is only funny if you both know the characters, and find it hilarious that they're talking about boring everyday subjects. Ok, got halfway through episode one. Peeping Life is just too boring to watch any more. And this coming from someone who watched a 49 minute anime about someone who was asleep.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 11:25:27 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25067 on: October 20, 2015, 11:20:31 am »

I've watched about 40 episodes of Bleach, and I can't think of a single character that stayed dead besides Ichigo's mom (and IIRC she shows up all the time in flashbacks anyway so it's like she never died).
... most of bleach's cast is dead, and stay dead from the start to the finish.

It just doesn't do much to stop them from moving around :P

Actually, yeah you're right. Bleach's world is basically a really bullshit interpretation of the afterlife. Though that makes you wonder, if you die in the spirit world in Bleach, does that make you double dead?

Why yes actually.

The afterlife works in three. You die on earth, then you die in the soul society, then you die in the hallow world... then the cycle begins again (though your memory is completely wiped in hallow world so... yeah)... Now this is excluding two major exceptions (Becoming Hallow and being shot into another dimension)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 11:31:58 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25068 on: October 20, 2015, 11:25:50 am »

Just started Osomatsu-san since Peeping Life was so dreadful. Now this one looks really funny. It's about a black and white gag anime from the 1960's who are trying to reinvent themselves as a modern anime, it's the sort of anime that completely lacks the fourth wall. I highly recommend checking out at least the first episode of the current show.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 12:04:35 pm by Reelya »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #25069 on: October 20, 2015, 11:43:19 am »

The afterlife works in three. You die on earth, then you die in the soul society, then you die in the hallow world... then the cycle begins again (though your memory is completely wiped in hallow world so... yeah)... Now this is excluding two major exceptions (Becoming Hallow and being shot into another dimension)
Wasn't there something about how quincy powers actually destroy whatever they kill's soul instead of purifying it ala shinigami style? I seem to remember that being a plot point fairly early on as one of the reasons why they don't like one another.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25070 on: October 20, 2015, 11:56:07 am »

Wasn't there something about how quincy powers actually destroy whatever they kill's soul instead of purifying it ala shinigami style? I seem to remember that being a plot point fairly early on as one of the reasons why they don't like one another.

No, they shoot you into another dimension.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #25071 on: October 20, 2015, 11:56:48 am »

No, they shoot you into another dimension.
...do they?
Bleach has added a lot of things since I stopped reading, huh.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25072 on: October 20, 2015, 11:57:51 am »

No this was said early on.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #25073 on: October 20, 2015, 12:01:01 pm »

...no? It wasn't? It was stated early on that they destroy the soul and this was upsetting the balance between worlds and that's why they were eradicated, because it would result with the worlds crashing into each other and everything dying?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25074 on: October 20, 2015, 01:33:37 pm »

...no? It wasn't? It was stated early on that they destroy the soul and this was upsetting the balance between worlds and that's why they were eradicated, because it would result with the worlds crashing into each other and everything dying?

That sounds familiar, but I can't remember. It's not like they ever touch on it again. I probably forgot after the hundredth filler, where filler princess wants to play soccer. Except not soccer at all...
Can't take this series too seriously  :)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25075 on: October 20, 2015, 01:35:53 pm »

No, I think it was one of the ones where Ichigo unlocks another form for his ichiban-sengoku-san-mocha-robo-issin-nissin-jarjarbinks-bankai-dan, then never uses it again. :P
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25076 on: October 20, 2015, 01:41:06 pm »

Yeah, the original schtick behind why the Soul Society hated Quincies and killed them off was because Hollows killed with Quincy powers just straight up stopped existing instead of proceeding on to SS or Hell.

Could have been a propaganda excuse for edging out competition, though.

3. Run Resize Enable

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25077 on: October 20, 2015, 04:05:04 pm »

My cousin recommends the first season. She was really shocked at the rainbowyness of the more recent ones when I showed them to her iirc, since her memories of it heavily involved punching things and lampshades.
HeartCatch Precure supposedly the best then go up and down at your leisure.
Thanks, this should be helpful.

Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid
It makes me sad that this probably isn't bad enough to be funny.

Yeah, the original schtick behind why the Soul Society hated Quincies and killed them off was because Hollows killed with Quincy powers just straight up stopped existing instead of proceeding on to SS or Hell.

Could have been a propaganda excuse for edging out competition, though.
I thought it was kind of weird that they didn't make a bigger deal out of The Last Quincy continuing to Quincy things. It's like you've got some detectives running around beating up criminals and sending them off to jail, where they supposedly stop being criminals and return to normal, plus one guy who just carries around a switchblade everywhere because he can't fight barehanded. Yet somehow, nobody seems to mind that every fight ends with five thugs tied up and awaiting trial and one gutted like a fish.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25078 on: October 20, 2015, 07:18:13 pm »

That's actually part of why I suspect that that's not actually what happens and it was invented as an excuse to wipe out the Quincies.

Or it might just be a plothole, but I'm sure that no shonen series ever has those in its hundreds of chapters of incoherent backstory.

3. Run Resize Enable

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25079 on: October 20, 2015, 10:05:36 pm »

What's a good place to get anime merch and not get gouged? Bags and clothing especially, but figures are cool too.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 1670 1671 [1672] 1673 1674 ... 2193