Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: trouble recruiting players  (Read 4794 times)

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: trouble recruiting players
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2008, 12:54:08 pm »

DF players need to get over themselves

Just because we have an Asperger-esque fascination with this game doesn't mean we're better than the average person who doesn't want a game that resembles a job

I've found that a lot of the better things in life aren't appreciated by most people. So I can either be an elitist and have no friends or just accept the fact that people have different tastes
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2008, 12:56:07 pm »

Heck I didn't even like Dwarf Fortress until months after I got it and found out how to play.

Dwarf Fortress is very unapproachable and I don't expect many people to like it due to this obvious FLAW

There I said it... Dwarf Fortress is FLAWED!!! Be shocked by this sudden revelation!

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2008, 01:26:45 pm »

Your friends are retarded Halo kids. Not much you can do about that
I dont get the stigma of liking halo? I thought it was a fun series, brought lots of new innovations to the FPS genre such as recharging health, limited number of guns you can carry, co-op mode (ok it wasnt the first to do this, but it wasnt a common thing)

All those things you mention were done better by far older shooters.  Heck, didn't limited gun carrying exist in System Shock?  I remember co-op being in both doom and Duke 3d and a lot of other old games. 

If halo had been released for PC only it would probably had been a flop.  Bungie were smart to realise that releasing it for consoles where there were few (almost no) good shooters at all; lower expectations and all that.
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2008, 02:46:53 pm »

There I said it... Dwarf Fortress is FLAWED!!! Be shocked by this sudden revelation!
Well of course it is, is not even finished.  Heck, I couldn't tell you of an unflawed FINISHED game, for that matter.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2008, 03:55:38 pm »

if you want people to do what you tell/ask them, try building a reputation.
start with something addicting but requiring less investment to play

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2008, 04:10:12 pm »

Heck I didn't even like Dwarf Fortress until months after I got it and found out how to play.

Dwarf Fortress is very unapproachable and I don't expect many people to like it due to this obvious FLAW

You know, DF is a very special game. It looks very confusing at first, and you MUST force yourself to play in the first hours, else you will just delete it from the HDD. [Yes, yes interface problems + the ASCII characters are responsible for this mainly]
However once you are past the first hours...you just cannot wait to play again on the next day. This is the only game which is like this. The other games are usually completely different. You love them on day 1, but you won't play again with those after a few weeks of playing.
I guess we can safely say, that DF is the most unique & entertaining game what has ever been released.  8)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 04:11:48 pm by Tormy »

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2008, 06:08:25 pm »

I actually got hooked on this game because of the step learning curve and the ASCII. I like the ability to imagine what my fortress would look like. I also love figuring difficult things out.
I got a kid beside me in my Geo class to start playing, his computer is so epic he can play with massive amounts of water or dwarfs. When I chill at his place he always shows me his newest contraption. Only problem is he has no internet :( so I have to give him the updates on a zip drive all the time.

ElFuzzo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2008, 07:26:39 pm »

I played DF in a computer lab at my university and suddenly everyone was enthralled with it. Then again, this was in the Physics computer lab which was full of physicists, so I suspect this is atypical. That is my only experience with playing it in a public place.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2008, 07:33:15 pm »

In order to give a toss about a game (or anything, really) you have to see the "awesome". That thing that makes you go "ooh nice". You don't have to see all of it and indeed it doesn't have to be real either but you do have to see something. Thats why you have film trailers that make films look great when they're actually crap, or ok but you've already seen all the good bits.

It's also why getting people to play DF by handing them a copy and sitting them down to play doesn't really work - the awesome in DF is not immediately obvious. The awesome in DF is vast, complex and so powerful you could run cities off it if only it could be harnessed but it isn't obvious when you first sit down to play. When you first start playing, you have no clue what you are doing, why or how and you need to find that out. You're not going to bother unless you've got some idea of the legendary awesome buried beneath the surface and the best way to learn that is by being told the stories.

So if you want your friends to play, just tell them the stories - you could point them to Boatmurdered, tell them the epic saga of your insane duchess who inexplicably killed her baby then threw herself into the moat, of the demons from the deep, or that tale about the artefact sock, the cannibal elves and the goblin horde. Don't try and make them play it, just show them the awesome, if they recognise it they'll get stuck in, if they don't, well, you tried and it's their problem now.  ;)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2008, 09:34:32 am »

Heh, it was tough for me to get into DF too. I think about 4 or so people mentioned it, the one who gave me screenshots really turned me off. Then I found out that it had a spot on Wikipedia.. learned that it was from the same guy who made LCS and Slaves to Armok, so I gave it a try.

Most of my friends would hate the game too.. nothing wrong with that. That's why I think graphics would be the best thing to happen to DF.. most intelligent people won't approach a non-graphical game "because there's too many good looking games to try out".

Best way to do it would be to write about all the cool things you could do in DF.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Cles

• Bay Watcher
  • I need some Cave Spider silk parachutes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2008, 09:49:58 pm »

I use a graphics pack. When I first tried DF, I did it just to see what all the hubub was about on /tg/, read about it on the wiki, then found out that you can play it with a graphics pack. I only got my bearings straight on the third attempt. Then I got mayday's wonderful graphics, and now that barrels actually looked like barrels, I found it much easier to play, though I can still recognize a ASCII screenshot and even play like that if I need to. I tell my friends about the wonderful and messed up shit that happens when I play, and they seem interested, but not enough to actually put time into it.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2008, 11:10:28 pm »

Well of course it is, is not even finished.  Heck, I couldn't tell you of an unflawed FINISHED game, for that matter.
true, true.spore
That's just how it goes. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

I had that problem too. Try using duct tape and a hose.
I LOLed, and although it's not uncomon for me on THIS forum, other forums don't do it as much to me.
I showed my freind it, he was intrested in it at first, but the difficulty curve pwn3d him, so he gave up. Fair enough, all of his fortresses ended in skeletal carp related slaughter.

Ugh. I hate people like Friend #2.

"So you heard about Team Fortress 2?"

"Uh... Yeah! I beat that game on the hardest difficulty! I even beat the final boss without using the special item!"

I hope he meant that he managed to beat a game of Goldrush/Badwater while his team was composed entirely of babies/noobs/both and the other team was a clansatck of epic players. The final boss must be him pushing the cart all by himself to the final terminus (MUWAHAHAHAHAHA!) and the special item must be his weapon. In that case, he's awesome. But I strongly doubt he meant that.

I like to trick my freinds to see whether they've played it.

"Hey, have you every Played Counter-Strike?" - Me
"Yeah, it's awesome, I've finished it!" - My freind, about to be pwn3d
"Did you finish the level with the Aliens at the end?" - Me, preparing the punchline
"Pah, that's easy!" - My freind, proving that he's about to be pwn3d
"Are you aware that Counter-Stike is an Online only shooter with no levels, storyline or ability to "finish"?" - Me
"I have the full version. I bought it at future shop" - Freind.
"There is no full version"-Me
"That's what You think."-Freind
fix'd for my friend
I just built my friend a new quadcore system with 8 gigs of ram and I actually got him to play DF simply by telling him that it would choke his system to a halt. He's kind of a nerd that way.

My other friend I got to play, well I just made him read Boatmurdered while he was bored and that was that. You have to know their weaknesses.
were is a link to this boat murdered? everyone says it points out all the awsome of dwarf fortress, but i can't find it.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2008, 11:14:15 pm »

I just built my friend a new quadcore system with 8 gigs of ram and I actually got him to play DF simply by telling him that it would choke his system to a halt. He's kind of a nerd that way.

My other friend I got to play, well I just made him read Boatmurdered while he was bored and that was that. You have to know their weaknesses.
were is a link to this boat murdered? everyone says it points out all the awsome of dwarf fortress, but i can't find it.

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Boatmurdered/ here it be, though more insanity than awesomeness to point it's just awesome  ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]