Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: trouble recruiting players  (Read 4789 times)

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
Re: trouble recruiting players
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2008, 11:31:42 pm »

Does he like CANNABAL ZERG ELVES?

Yeah, it's much better to tell the stories of your DF games first, and to talk about the game itself later. The good ones can be enjoyed without knowing the mechanics behind it, and it keeps them from being put off by them once they do arrive. What's really worth never being able to watch your little dudes rip the limbs off a goblin one by one before going for a lunch break?

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2008, 01:35:18 am »

Honestly if you need to just show them unto the forums, which is the place where most of the awesome begins.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2008, 01:56:14 am »

its the stories that got me, It took me a few tries to enjoy playing DF, by time between forts was spent reading some succession games and LPs, which immediately inspired me to give it another try.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Teeto_K

• Bay Watcher
  • Deforesting Woodland Biomes
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2008, 05:04:13 am »

I've tried to intro a couple people to the game.

It just didn't take.

One just kind of pittered out and lost interest. The other raises the criticism: "Get back to me when the menus aren't more complicated than my fortress layout.".

That's just how it goes. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
Refar Wrote:
They have not mastered the art of safe fishing, safe drinking of booze, safe [you name it]... Why would someone think they mastered safe sex?

How I dorf:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3901-thecitadelofartifice

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2008, 05:23:34 am »

That's just how it goes. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

I had that problem too. Try using duct tape and a hose.

Spey

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon mince.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2008, 09:16:15 am »

Your friends are retarded Halo kids. Not much you can do about that

I dont get the stigma of liking halo? I thought it was a fun series, brought lots of new innovations to the FPS genre such as recharging health, limited number of guns you can carry, co-op mode (ok it wasnt the first to do this, but it wasnt a common thing)

I'm a DF player, but I like plenty of other types of games too, Halo, MMOs, RTS games, racing, whatever really.

Why does liking one preclude you from liking the other?
How many Dwarves does it take to change a XXlightbulbXX?

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2008, 09:17:45 am »

You're not required to be retarded and immiture to play Halo, but it's pretty common in Public matches.
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2008, 09:50:44 am »

You're not required to be retarded and immiture to play Halo, but it's pretty common in Public matches.

Generally the case for most FPSes
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2008, 09:57:57 am »

Generally the case for most FPSes

That's usually because most FPSes are exactly the same as Halo.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2008, 10:04:38 am »

Your friends are retarded Halo kids. Not much you can do about that

I dont get the stigma of liking halo? I thought it was a fun series, brought lots of new innovations to the FPS genre such as recharging health, limited number of guns you can carry, co-op mode (ok it wasnt the first to do this, but it wasnt a common thing)

I'm a DF player, but I like plenty of other types of games too, Halo, MMOs, RTS games, racing, whatever really.

Why does liking one preclude you from liking the other?

This.

Not much else I can say other than this.

But yes, DF is not for everybody. I personally like games where you tell units to do stuff, and they do it on their own. Micromanaging people is my dealbreaker. Having units do stuff on their own is the dealmaker.

When dealing with one character and direct control, I like good fluid movement. I dunno why, but the Halo games always had a good movement to them. Not too fast and twitchy, not too slow and tank-like.

Thus why I like Halo and DF. And Maplestory, because sometimes the brain just needs to shut down.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2008, 10:14:27 am »

Wow... I feel bad that I play Halo now.  :-[

Eh, you shouldn't..I used to play FPS games on a competitive level even in fact I am still playing but just for fun nowadays....and voila I am a big DF fan. However none of my old mates from the FPS scene would play with DF...Ah well, not that it matters really.  :)

Spey

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon mince.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2008, 10:36:02 am »

But yes, DF is not for everybody. I personally like games where you tell units to do stuff, and they do it on their own. Micromanaging people is my dealbreaker. Having units do stuff on their own is the dealmaker.

When dealing with one character and direct control, I like good fluid movement. I dunno why, but the Halo games always had a good movement to them. Not too fast and twitchy, not too slow and tank-like.

Thus why I like Halo and DF. And Maplestory, because sometimes the brain just needs to shut down.

I'm just into any game that has something original to offer or was clearly made with a great deal of passion and care.

The way I see it, graphics are nice to have, but are certainly not a necessity. Whatever was the graphical marvel of the day 10 years ago wouldnt really stand up for the same reasons today, but something that had immense playability wont have changed.

in another 10 years time, people will scoff at stuff like CRYSIS because other than its blistering graphics it hasnt really made any lasting impact on its genre.

Compare this to a game like Metroid, Dune 2, XCOM, The Legend of Zelda, (all games which kinda set the mold) or anything along similar lines, and they still stand up (and in many cases have never really been bettered) against games today for good old fashioned playablity.

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2008, 10:46:27 am »

The way I see it, graphics are nice to have, but are certainly not a necessity. Whatever was the graphical marvel of the day 10 years ago wouldnt really stand up for the same reasons today, but something that had immense playability wont have changed.

Yeah, Remember when Wolfenstien could call itself "3D" with a straight face?

Spey

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon mince.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2008, 11:20:36 am »

Yeah, Remember when Wolfenstien could call itself "3D" with a straight face?

I love going back and reading the marketing or the blurb on the back of the box of old games.

The amount of times you read things like "Next gen graphics will blow you away", or "Ultra realism immerses you in the game - its like actually being there"

Its funny because the marketing people havent really changed their tune, but the games have changed so completely.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2008, 12:24:55 pm »

I just built my friend a new quadcore system with 8 gigs of ram and I actually got him to play DF simply by telling him that it would choke his system to a halt.

That made me laugh ...  :D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4