Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Making a Pixie civilization  (Read 5913 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making a Pixie civilization
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2008, 05:46:29 pm »

alright guys, i took another look at my entity entry for my pixies, and i still can't figure out why this can't make chainmail. it baffles me.

heres another look at my entity entry for pixies, and as you can clearly see, [ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_CHAINMAIL] is present. Do i have to place COMMON after it to make it work or something?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also Marlowe, i suspect that the oddities in the caravans has something to do with the PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE tag.

dwarves don't have this tag, and every other civ except goblins have atleast level 1, whereas goblins have level 2.

altering this may have some desired affect.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2008, 05:49:57 pm »

What PREF do you have them using? And have you enabled the metal smithing and smelter jobs? That's not the entire entity file for them and you're missing job entity tags.

Wood pref civs don't make chainmail, and if you haven't enabled the smithing and smelter jobs, you obviously can't build them.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2008, 05:50:26 pm »

Yes, you need COMMON.  UNCOMMON might work too.  But you need something there, it's no coincidence that all the other clothing items have it.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2008, 06:35:11 pm »

What PREF do you have them using? And have you enabled the metal smithing and smelter jobs? That's not the entire entity file for them and you're missing job entity tags.

Wood pref civs don't make chainmail, and if you haven't enabled the smithing and smelter jobs, you obviously can't build them.

i have metal smithing and smelter jobs, but they also have wood pref, so i guess thats what the problem was. That seems really stupid seeing as how i can build leggings/caps/other stuff that is made outta metal, and yet chainmail is singled out and its stupid seeing as they have metal pref too. This token modding stuff is very obfuscated and not very user friendly. i'm not sure if their is any way to get around it, but i'd like it. I trust toady will make modding better/easier in the future.

i guess i'll just have to make do with metal and gem pref. what does gem pref do anyway?

Yes, you need COMMON.  UNCOMMON might work too.  But you need something there, it's no coincidence that all the other clothing items have it.

shields and bucklers don't have COMMON/UNCOMMON but i can still build those...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2008, 06:51:55 pm »

When in doubt, use the default raws as a guideline.  They have CHAINMAIN:COMMON.  Shields and weapons are just treated differently.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2008, 07:03:29 pm »

Also Marlowe, i suspect that the oddities in the caravans has something to do with the PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE tag.

dwarves don't have this tag, and every other civ except goblins have atleast level 1, whereas goblins have level 2.

altering this may have some desired affect.

I think we may have a winner. Thanks for that. I was looking at the merchant entries. I'll try it tonight.

I had the exact same problem with my chainmail.  ::)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2008, 06:27:37 pm »

Silly me, after declaring my first test a failure, i went back into the raws and changed several things.

pixies lose WOOD_PREF, so now they can build chainmail, but now i lose all the cheap wooden stuff that i can bring on embark. not a biggy.

gave them the enormous corkscrew trap components, i just realized that my pixies didn't have it, and having to import one makes moving water/magma around a bitch in the meantime, so i just gave it to them.

removed merchant nobility, so now i won't get an outpost liaison AND a guild rep. Just a guild rep.

changed the pixies active season to spring, in a devious ploy to get them to arrive sooner, and thus usher in the human and dwarven caravans sooner so i can cut the necessary playtime to test in half.

lastly, and most importantly, i removed their PROGRESS_TRIGGER tags, because the original dwarves didn't have them, so i suppose the civ controllable race isn't supposed to have them. i also added PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE to the dwarves, now they have it just like the humans and elves, and i can only hope that it works.

what were the results? Pixies didn't come in spring, so that idea goes out the window. I still don't know the effects of the PROGRESS_TRIGGER tags, so i'll just have to change my pixie's active season back to winter, regen, and do another two-year test.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2008, 08:28:27 pm »

Active season doesn't effect migrants. The game starts in spring, and they come every spring (assuming you don't have a bad year) active season is largely for caravans.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2008, 10:14:24 pm »

I really gotta learn how to talk one of these days, what i mean by 'them' was the caravan, not the migrants.

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2008, 10:36:10 pm »

PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE is the amount of exported wealth needed before a nation starts interacting with the player.  This is why golbins don't start ambushing until after a player has traded enough or has enough resources.  This also affects trade carvans.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2008, 10:39:24 pm »

PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE is the amount of exported wealth needed before a nation starts interacting with the player.  This is why golbins don't start ambushing until after a player has traded enough or has enough resources.  This also affects trade carvans.

then i ask you this then, why is it that the dwarves, that previously had no such tag preventing them from interacting with me, did not interact with me?

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2008, 10:48:52 pm »

Most likely because as a home civ, you are automaticaly allowed access with your nation, but if it is another nation, it could default that to a higher level.

If you are gonna set PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE, make sure you set PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION and PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION as well.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2008, 11:11:23 pm »

There, see we're having issues with that. Humans don't have [P_T:PRODUCTION] or [P_T:POPULATION]. I don't know why, but it puts the proper setting for non-player dwarves into some doubt

I gave the Dwarves all three tags for my Faerie fortress tests, and they arrived first year. SOmething is wrong.

It may be that thanks to some things I did (started clothing production early, made some platinum items) I accidentally increased my produced wealth noticeably fast and attracted the dwarves before I had a depot built.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2008, 08:10:23 pm »

Well, I suppose we have deduced what the progress_trigger tags mean, yay us.

My newest test fort is going along smoothly, although i believe i've hit an odd glitch. I can't make socks...

it's their in the raws, i've checked, but when i go to my clothier's shop, their is no option to make socks. i don't know why this is so, my other test fort could make socks just fine, and i haven't added or removed anything that would make socks unmakeable, i think.

oh well, i can still make shoes, and those have the same item value as socks.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2008, 08:39:17 pm »

Randomly, you won't be able to make certain clothing items depending on the fashions of your civ. I've not been able to make dresses in lots of cases, one Faerie fort liked chauses (sic?) but not socks, and my current bunch won't make high boots.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 09:22:24 pm by Marlowe »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6