Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Making a Pixie civilization  (Read 5899 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making a Pixie civilization
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2008, 01:00:31 pm »

Don't feel bad Marlowe, just be happy that you have faeries. lord knows i'm happy with pixies.

I, after playing for all of spring, i can conclude that the pixies are fast. really fast. just as i expected. thats a good thing though.

I don't know how to make wooden weapons so far, even though craploads of wooden things are available on embark. can someone point it out for me or is it not possible to make wooden weapons?

the pixie bows and pixie arrows are working wonderfully so far though. the hunter i've had using them is having no trouble at all, inspite of the pixie arrow's inferiority. He's running around slaughtering the local wildlife, and that's good.

Marlowe, your apparently having trouble with trading caravans, lets see how i do.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2008, 01:01:53 pm »

Nice that you dropped by to say you uninterested though. Don't let the door hit you.

YOU ASKED!!! and I also stated that my uninterest has to do with the difficulty there is in mixing mods together.

I am surprised Pixies are doing so well.

Are they immortal or Gnats? hmmm 40-60... hmm maybe it is related to their litter size.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 01:11:31 pm by Neonivek »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2008, 01:11:42 pm »

immortal or gnats?

they have a life span of 40-60 years, shortest in the game i think. If by gnats you mean "do they reproduce like wildfire?" then yes, they do, i checked a couple of the wars in the legends, every single war they've been a part of they've outnumbered their enemy ATLEAST 50:1 or 100:1, but because they're such lousy fighters they lose most of the battles, but they never give up and subesquently lose thousands upon thousands upon thousands just trying to win one town inhabited by 40 human defenders.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2008, 01:14:06 pm »

No by Gnats I mean VERY short lifespans! (Gnats don't even life a year I believe... but I may be thinking of a Mayfly)

40-60 is shortest for a Civilisation but not for a creature. (Lions only live 30 I believe)

Checked it, Gnats life 4 months and a mayfly lives max 2 days as a Mayfly (prior to this it can live years)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 01:19:31 pm by Neonivek »

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2008, 01:31:15 pm »

I think there's something hardcoded into [trEE_CITY] that prevents the making of metal equipment, while there's no way that I've found to make the wooden stuff in-game. [WOOD_PREF] gives it to you on embark but there's no way of making it. That's why I started making the Faerie in the first place instead of just adding bits to the existing Elves.

EDIT: And Neonkevin, I might have asked, but you didn't answer.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 03:36:54 pm by Marlowe »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2008, 03:46:35 pm »

well, good thing i've got normal cities for default, unless the liking tree cities bit leaks into that.

My two woodcutters were the first one to hit legendary status, one of them eventually getting to perfectly agile status. Jesus christ is that woodcutter fast, he zips across the map like a frickin' comet!

My two woodcutters are showing very odd erratic behavior though. Sometimes they'd decide to go on break, then drop their axe, then remember that they're woodcutters, and go to pick it up again, then remember that they're on break and decide to leave it alone. this cycle seems to continue infinitely unless i intervene by recruiting/unrecruiting them.

When they finished cutting all the trees on the map, i decided i'd put their awesome stats to good use and recruited them with the intention of making them into axepixies. however, i can't seem to do this. When I try, they'll drop they're tiny larch axes into the weapons stockpile, then perpetually walk back and forth in some effort to pick up their axes, which they won't pick up for some reason. i've concluded that the axe is too big and they've already picked up a shield, so they can't carry both. after disabling shields for them, the behavior isn't fixed, and i'm stumped.

i also think that i've forgotten to switch around the times which the caravans arrive, so i hypothesize that the dwarven caravan will arrive BEFORE the pixie caravan. Can i correct this without messing up my test fort?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2008, 05:26:33 pm »

You seem to allow Pixies to create metal objects judging by their Blacksmith job being allowed

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2008, 05:32:48 pm »

Thats cool neonivek, i'm glad.

I've tried everything i can humanly think of to force my pixies to wield the axe with both hands and not do some sort of weird dance. I just can't make them do it.

I go back into the weapon raws, where the TWO_HANDED is 3 and the MINIMUM_SIZE is also 3. i bbelieved that combo would make them multigrasp the axe, but it doesn't so i changed TWO_HANDED to 2.

no dice, they just wield the axe with 1 hand. although they are wielding it just fine.

i go back into the raws and Change TWO_HAND to 4 now, thinking that maybe that only applies to wielders that are below that size, but above the minimum size.

no dice, they DO multigrasp it now, but my two recruits are 'fighting' over the axe, where one multigrasps it, then holds it for 1 or 2 seconds, drops it, then the other one picks it up, multigrasps it for 1 or 2 seconds, then drops it, ad infinitum.

so maybe i got it wrong, i go back into the raws, and decrease the MINIMUM_SIZE to 2, thinking that things between the two hand tag and the minimum will make them multigrasp it.

NO DICE, they repeat the dance i've described above. Is it even possible to make them multigrasp things? or do i have to settle with single-grasped things?

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2008, 06:28:37 pm »

Fortress mode workers will currently only carry two-handed weapons if set to carry two weapons, I believe.  Try setting them to carry two weapons, and see if that does it.

I've had similar problems with halberds and such.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2008, 07:59:44 pm »

thank you so much demonic gophers, after trying that, it worked! i can't believe i didn't think of that myself. i feel so stupid now!

i wonder if multigrasped weapons have better attack power or anything. like in other rpg's.

Also, remember how i hypothesized that the dwarven caravan would come first because i forgot to switch around the numbers in the raws? i was wrong, the dwarves didn't come, and the pixie caravan came in winter like it was supposed to! great news.

something odd though, i guess i put one too many tags into the entity folder, because the pixies brought along an outpost liaison AND a guild representative. The liaison talked to the expedition leader while the guild representative talked to the broker/manager/something. They both however, recorded what i wanted for next year, and told me their wants in return. i don't know what to make of this, does that mean i'll recieve two caravans?  or... i don't know. some insight would be appreciated.

now i'm not sure whether to keep the tiny 2h handed swords or delete them to avoid future complications.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2008, 02:43:19 am »

Had the same problem with the Faerie great axes, and fixed them the same way.

Seems we're both at the same stage: getting caravans to work right.

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2008, 03:24:14 am »

Playable races will not send caravans to each other.
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2008, 07:24:23 am »

Playable races will not send caravans to each other.

well, the CIV_CONTROLLABLE tag is only on the pixies, so i guess that problem shouldn't come up.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2008, 11:52:21 am »

Same. No [CONTROLLABLE_CIV] on my dwarves.

Then again, getting 4 caravans a year might make the game too easy anyway. But dwarves have stuff you can't get anywhere else.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2008, 01:18:07 pm »

it wouldn't make it too easy for my pixies. unlike your faeries, my pixies can't dig at all, so any metal and stone needs to be outsourced. Until then, they gotta make do on leather, wood, rope reed, and whatever copper i scrounge off of kobold corpses.

I have a big problem though, I want the single best armor my pixies can make to be metal chainmail. problem is, even though they have the chainmail tag in the entity file, they won't make metal chainmail except for leggings and caps.

my test fort is in a completely neutral area, but while i got the elven caravan, i haven't gotten the human caravan yet. I need to play some more to confirm whether the dwarves are coming or not.

EDIT: also, after genning some more worlds to look at the legends, i've concluded that pixies that get kidnapped by goblins become super badass somehow. every single kidnapped pixie is much more formidable than their native pixie brothers and sisters, each having anywhere from 50-100+ kills. Could someone clarify how this is so?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 01:24:55 pm by chaoticjosh »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6