Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Making a Pixie civilization  (Read 5914 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making a Pixie civilization
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2008, 07:40:41 pm »

Now i just need to figure out to set my pixies to be able to build them.

Just make sure the weapons and ammo are available in the entity definition, and that the entity permits the necessary professions.

Uh, like this?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Can I be sure that production of these things will be this easy? So i don't have to worry about them being produced at the wrong workshops or requiring any unexpected materials? The bows will be produced at a bowyers shop, wooden pixie arrows at a crafts shop and others weapons + metal pixie arrows at a metalsmith's shop?

that may sound silly, but please forgive me, i'm SUPER paranoid.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2008, 07:50:53 pm »

Yeah, that should do it.  The workshop stuff is completely hardcoded so you don't have to worry about it.  Also, there's a good chance with a mod this big that you screwed up something small, so just plan on doing a dry run for testing purposes.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2008, 08:05:35 pm »

Yeah, that should do it.  The workshop stuff is completely hardcoded so you don't have to worry about it.  Also, there's a good chance with a mod this big that you screwed up something small, so just plan on doing a dry run for testing purposes.

I haven't even touched the raws yet, just looking at them and formulating the mod slowly. the mod will be in one fell swoop, it won't know what hit'em.

screwing around with the armor files shouldn't be necessary though right? I don't understand this business about COMMON and UNCOMMON though.

I'll remove Platemail, chainmail, gauntlets, and all other metal armors, so my pixies will be forced to use leather and bone armors instead. i'll let them keep metal shields though, don't think i'll need to change the size of those.

I've been looking through the creature files looking for the vermin pixies so i can get rid of them though, and i absolutely can't find them. what file are they in?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2008, 09:40:10 pm »

Still can't find those vermin pixies, but i decided to wing it and put in everything i've made thus far.

i create a new folder and put new copies of the game, the data, and the other stuff, in it so as to not disturb my vanilla games.

New pixie code, THOROUGHLY spellchecked, goes into the standard creatures with the dwarves, humans, etc.

The pixie entity, THOROUGHLY spellchecked and revised, goes into the default entity file, with the other civs.

weapons go into weapon folder, new ammo goes into ammo folder.

done.

i start up DF, go to create a world, it finds a site, and gets to age of myth year 2 and then crashes...

looks like i may have missed something.

If somebody more experienced can tell me whats wrong, i'll be very happy. let me list the final products that i put in.

heres the pixie code:

the pixie entity code:

and the weapons code is unchanged from before.

think its just those vermin pixies that i haven't found yet? or something else?

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2008, 12:45:02 am »

Setting the bow to use the crossbow skill permits use of bows, however remember (if I understand the way things work) that this will lead to all troops with bows being named crossbowmen. You might like to change the names of crossbowmen of all races to something generic, like "archers".

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2008, 09:40:15 am »

i'll keep that in mind Marlowe, but instead of changing it to something generic, i just switch the names around so i get to keep my BowPixies.

Other news, i've done it! i've found the vermin pixies (turns out they were in the standard creatures file, the last place!) and i deleted them. Now i can create a world!

i created a standard 200 yr old world, and looking through the legends is amusing. even though my pixies have inferior weapons, less armor, and are much smaller, they are the most ruthless warmongers i've ever seen. From the wars i've seen, thousands upon thousands zerg rush specific sites over and over and over, losing thousands of pixies in the process, but they never let up and eventually win. Some pixies, despite their very low life-span, have even racked up a respectable number of kills, like 90+.

giggling to myself, i decide to start a pixie fort, giggling even more as i see that things like unicorns and giant scorpions are available to be brought along. When i embark however, i realize that something has gone terribly wrong.

all my pixies are invisible.

well, not invisible, but they are black blocks. what do i do to change this?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 09:45:26 am by chaoticjosh »

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2008, 09:44:39 am »

The tile you've used is "P". Isn't that used for a tree?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2008, 09:46:46 am »

how does that make sense? i mean yeah, its a P, but alot of things use the same letter. My P's are supposed to be bright yellow too.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2008, 09:58:12 am »

What happens when you change it? Even to a lower-case "p"?

EDIT: Different colour? Singular? But a player race is supposed to be all different colours for different professions. I just copied the colour tag from the dwarf entry and had no problems.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 10:00:06 am by Marlowe »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2008, 10:40:34 am »

Success! Turns out that i forgot one small detail one giving them the tile P.

its that it's not spelt P, its spelt 'P' with the apostrophes. I realized it when i looked down at the human creature info and saw that humans tile was 'U'.

so now i have bright yellow pixies! i noticed however that the color only dictates the color of peasants, professions change the color of the tile.

if i assume that all the weapons and ammo work, then i can unofficially call this mod done! i'll do some more testing however so i can "officially" call it done.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2008, 12:33:43 pm »

Play for a bit. The Faerie are working fine ACCEPT THAT I didn't get a dwarven caravan. I've had civs wait 'til year three before sending a caravan before so I don't know if this is a bug or just a routine chaotism. Play it before you call it done.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2008, 12:39:46 pm »

Wow these are large pixies.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2008, 12:41:28 pm »

How come nobody posts in my thread?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2008, 12:48:31 pm »

How come nobody posts in my thread?

I am currently uninterested in both of them...

I really wish there was a way I could mix and match mods together... Then it would be more interesting.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2008, 12:59:18 pm »

Nice that you dropped by to say you uninterested though. Don't let the door hit you.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6