Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: GCS  (Read 14068 times)

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
Re: GCS
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2008, 07:51:34 pm »

I have a small colonie of tiny ants in my bathroom. They only appear around summer though, and their ususlaly very small in number. I acctualy have grown to like them as they have been in there for years.

Anyway I have my own tale of insect infestations. One time when I was at my grandparents house mabey last year... Anyway I slept in my grandparents guest room, it was a very clean room. And well kept too.

I had a nice night of sleep, but then when I woke up ANTS! OH MY GOD THEY WERE EVERYWARE, most of them had wings and I HAD NO DAMN CLUE HOW OR WHY THEY GOT IN.

There were so many I threw off my blanket and got up almost instantly only to see the wall behind the bed, the bed, and most of the floor around it was covered in the basterds like some sort of satanic ritual. Surprisingly not a single ant touched me. Still to this day I have no idea how they got in, they were freaken ninja ants.

They were like thieves in the night almost literally and stole my bed. They sprayed my bed and killed them all off, I feel kinda bad about it now but then I was so scared I dident care at all.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 07:55:24 pm by cowofdoom78963 »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2008, 08:00:48 pm »

My family has an extra bedroom in our basement, so we have hockey or baseball players from the local teams stay there. Last summer we had a baseball player named Steve. About a week after he moved in, he found a wolf spider on the wall in his room. After much distress, I caught the thing.

Standing normally (with his legs sort of bent, you know how spider's stand) he was about five inches in diameter. We kept him in a jar. He was named Willie the Killer. He was pefectly happy being fed the occasional fly.

Eventually, Willie got unhappy with his situation and started to web the jar up (not normal wolf-spider behavior). My father attempted to use a stick to clear the web out, so that we could see our pet. Willie escaped. By escaped, I mean grabbed my dad's finger. Like me, my father tolerates bugs pretty well, unless they touch him. My father freaked out and flung Willie across the room.

We narrowly prevented him from eating a cat (kidding) and recaptured him. Eventually, we decided to let him go. I walked about two blocks south before opening his jar, to make sure that he wouldn't come back. I sort of miss the guy.  :(
Even the avatars expire eventually.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2008, 08:07:15 pm »

Well at least we should all be glad we dont live in the dwarf fortress universe.
I mean, what if you went to the bathroom only to find that behind your shower curtain there is a giant cave spider watching you poop. I would feel pretty unconfertable.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2008, 08:43:07 pm »

I have something of a story from my youth, and to this day no one i've told it to believes me.

When i was 8 or 9, my grandma owned a giant fridge-sized freezer. Right next to the freezer was a giant pile of clothes. Seeking fun, i climbed ontop of the clothes and got ontop of the freezer. Out from behind the freezer crawled the biggest damn spider i've ever saw or ever will see. This thing was the size of a dinner plate, i swear! When it crawled closer to me, i got so scared i jumped off the freezer (something very out of character for me) and ran to get my cousin, who was much bigger and stronger than me. When we got back up their, we couldn't find the spider anywhere, and so everyone believes i just made it up.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2008, 08:54:53 pm »

I have something of a story from my youth, and to this day no one i've told it to believes me.

When i was 8 or 9, my grandma owned a giant fridge-sized freezer. Right next to the freezer was a giant pile of clothes. Seeking fun, i climbed ontop of the clothes and got ontop of the freezer. Out from behind the freezer crawled the biggest damn spider i've ever saw or ever will see. This thing was the size of a dinner plate, i swear! When it crawled closer to me, i got so scared i jumped off the freezer (something very out of character for me) and ran to get my cousin, who was much bigger and stronger than me. When we got back up their, we couldn't find the spider anywhere, and so everyone believes i just made it up.
It was probably the clock spider, off to hide behind his clock again...

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2008, 09:53:44 pm »

I have a small colonie of tiny ants in my bathroom. They only appear around summer though, and their ususlaly very small in number. I acctualy have grown to like them as they have been in there for years.

Anyway I have my own tale of insect infestations. One time when I was at my grandparents house mabey last year... Anyway I slept in my grandparents guest room, it was a very clean room. And well kept too.

I had a nice night of sleep, but then when I woke up ANTS! OH MY GOD THEY WERE EVERYWARE, most of them had wings and I HAD NO DAMN CLUE HOW OR WHY THEY GOT IN.

There were so many I threw off my blanket and got up almost instantly only to see the wall behind the bed, the bed, and most of the floor around it was covered in the basterds like some sort of satanic ritual. Surprisingly not a single ant touched me. Still to this day I have no idea how they got in, they were freaken ninja ants.

They were like thieves in the night almost literally and stole my bed. They sprayed my bed and killed them all off, I feel kinda bad about it now but then I was so scared I dident care at all.

Winged ant swarm? Lovely. Dunno why they'd choose your bedroom for their love-nest, though.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2008, 12:53:25 pm »

I decided to see waht would happen if GCS bred like cats, not content with the previous carnage.
SWARMS.
CATFORTRESS?
SPIDERFORTRESS!
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2008, 02:15:13 pm »

Once my dad got a hopping mouse in his bag. We didn't know where it came from, but we released it, wekks later my dads cat caught a mouse with long back legs.....
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Groveller

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Wingéd Giant Caveswallowmanman
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2008, 02:22:24 pm »

Human slaves! In an insect nation...
The raccoon's still there, though.  Just chilling out.  Being a raccoon in some rocks.

Grov: Grovness is a Grov (A Grov Grov)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2008, 03:29:39 pm »

Well at least we should all be glad we dont live in the dwarf fortress universe.
I mean, what if you went to the bathroom only to find that behind your shower curtain there is a giant cave spider watching you poop. I would feel pretty unconfertable.

So even giant cave spiders get stuck in the bath tub. We should totally be able to build bath tub traps to catch GCS's in DF.  :D
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Astus Ater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2008, 03:41:03 pm »

I decided to see waht would happen if GCS bred like cats, not content with the previous carnage.
SWARMS.
CATFORTRESS?
SPIDERFORTRESS!

Hmm, I wonder if I coud mod a GCS as a dwarf pet? War GCS anyone?
Legendary Liar:  "I just stabbed you and you died.  Sorry."
Victim:  "Well, if you say so." *thud*

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2008, 04:30:58 pm »

SWARMS.
CATFORTRESS?
SPIDERFORTRESS!

Hmm, I wonder if I coud mod a GCS as a dwarf pet? War GCS anyone?
Easily.  A blind monkey could mod that.  A civilization of upright, strict giant spider people living in caves that only use wood, now that would be a challenge.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2009, 08:27:31 am »

You guys should look into getting a pet lizard or something.

heh, our house has a few bluetonge lizards living around it. i leave little trails of banana peices around to coax them out of their hiding places so i can get a look at them. the biggest was nearly as long as my arm, which is ridiculous for a bluetongue, though i havent seen him in ages.

the one that lives around the back is great. when the door is open he comes in and nestles right up against my laptop power pack and refuses to move. this is a lizard the size of my foot and nearly as fat. when my sister tried to throw him out he finally took fright and tried to run, and his feet just slid on the polished wooden floor and he stayed in the one place. lot of people are pretty scared of bluetonges, as they bite really really hard and have a reputation for never letting go. i asked a guy at the australian reptile zoo about this and he said this is because most people run around waving their hand in the air with the lizard hanging off. and the lizard is smart enough to know if it lets go its going to go flying into the nearest wall and go splat.

also, when you corner them they puff right up to look big, open their mouth, which is bright orange inside with a flaming blue tongue, and hiss really loudly. generally guaranteed to freak the everliving shit out of most domestic pets and your average domestic human. always curious about what the dwarf fort two legged rhino lizard you find in badlands area would be like. frill neck lizards do one better - they open their massive frill, hiss, get up on two legs and chase you. i don't live far north enough to see them though. as you may have guessed, i love reptiles.

and you can allready make GCS into pets, i did it with the very first one i found in fort mode. set up cage traps, tunneled into its little chasm ledge, it chased the dwarf into the traps, then i tamed it with my dungeon master and put it up for adoption. my master engraver loved GCS for some reason, so he picked it up and it followed him everywhere and ate a few goblins when he was ambushed, though it lost a leg to an axegoblin. i wish you could milk them for venom and GCS silk.

i totally want to one day find a male and female one (do they have genders?) tame them, and then breed a massive number (can you do this? do they get pregnant and give birth or lay eggs or what?), cage them in a hallway and let them eat invaders. this could get interesting. do exotic pets give birth to tame young ones? i dont think there is a puppy or kitten mode for GCS. or dragons and other exotic pets for that matter. having mother give birth to a massive clutch of fully formed wild Giant Cave spiders in my main dining room would be an experience.

on the real life insect horrors. i love most crawly things along with reptiles and furry animals as well. (excluding maggots...) and generally go to great lengths not to kill spiders and things unless they are the very poisonous ones. though, as an amoral 8 year old living in canberra, i put a bull ant (thats the 3 cm or one inch flesh eating horrors with giant stinger to you foreigners) a redback (australian version of black widow) a huge centipede as long as my hand and a scorpion in a jar together.

the ant and spider went to the roof, where the ant savagely dismembered the redback who tried and failed to retreat and set some web up. then the ant sat there with the dead redback in its jaws on the bottom of the lid, as if to say "ive got my dinner now let me go home and eat it". the scorpion ignored everything till the centipede started trying to use it as a platform to get up the side of the jar, and it got annoyed and grabbed it and stung it a few times. afterwhich the scorpion had his peace and the centipede just ran around the edge of the jar trying to get up the side and away from the scorpion.

at the time i was a little disappointed. i wanted a battle royale with only one survivor, but it seems wild things are somewhat more pragmatic then that, and most wont want a fight unless they are forced. btw, there are many videos of such experiments on youtube, for those so inclined. interestingly preying mantis seems to win most often. even against mice and hummingbirds. fear the mantis!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2009, 07:34:57 pm »

Okay, I have had a change of heart about spiders.  Not all of them are hideous.

I recently read Jim C. Hines' Goblin Quest and its two sequels.  After that, I can't help but think a fire spider would be an incredibly cute pet, if only its fiery tendencies could be quelled. 

Sure, they are imaginary spiders, but they are cute spiders.  I wish they were real.  They could be a problem, though.

Now excuse me while I mod them into the game.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2009, 05:44:07 pm »

Get me that mod BTW. I'd have quite a bit of fun with them methinks.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6