Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: when will the next dwarf fortress update will be released?  (Read 4514 times)

darkedone02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
when will the next dwarf fortress update will be released?
« on: November 29, 2008, 04:46:50 pm »

I'm getting a lack of taste now on these strategy games... supreme commander is good but lack more units and buildings, also the storyline is not very long. Now I've been playing Civilization IV, and try out some mods but my computer starts to lag and I got very bored after renaissance. Stronghold 2 is quite challanging due to the lack of more spaces and consumption of goods, and also the siege sucks ass, and the storyline sucks ass as well, deleted it off my computer. I feel that today's strategy games are now becoming more blank and lacky... I wish Dwarf fortress changes that around now.

I been playing Dwarf Fortress for a while, and I'm  getting the same feeling, I been creating new worlds and building the same fortress and building it symetrically over and over, and I gotten bored after a while when I'm not getting a good immagrant and trade caravans. Not only that but I got  bored of the repetitiveness... build 30 doors, put them there, build 30 beds, cabinets, and whatnots.. over and over when making rooms for my dwarfs and future dwarfs... I can only defend in this game and not attack, I can't migrate over to another place in the map and control at least 3 places, and I can't make my own caravan to send to the people I discovered.

I know this game is kinda new, but the lack of updates make this game seems boring to me, along with my taste of strategy games is nearly depleted when more games that don't got a lot of content to keep me busy and have fun more. I want Dwarf Fortress to change that, so that I don't have to go to game to game to find out which game that does not lag on me and got lots of content to satify me. Lots of features that allow me to do multiple things and not to turn out more like work then entertainment.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: when will the next dwarf fortress update will be released?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 04:58:27 pm »

Check out the dev page.  Toady has a countdown of stuff that needs to be done before he can make the next big release.  At the rate it's going, it's going to be quite a while, though that may change if the remaining stuff is easier than what he's been hammering at since .40 was released.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 05:40:17 pm »

When you do the same thing over and over, yes, you'll get bored.  Some options:

1) Give yourself restrictions.  "No traps", for instance, or "must deal with threats with military, not with atom smashers or drowning chambers."  If you're like me and love magma and glass, play on maps without those.

2) Play with mods, such as Legendary Lands. 

3) Play succession forts.  This *will* make you vary your play style.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 07:04:18 pm »

I'm finding the [SLOW_LEARNER] tag to be the cleanest and simplest way to ratchet up the game difficulty without 'self crippling' play.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 07:31:22 pm »

Try building different styles of fortress.  Set yourself goals, like building a giant castle out of one type of stone block, or sustaining your fortress with just one type of trade good.  Modding is also fun to add more variety.  Play in different areas - swamps, glaciers, deserts and such.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 07:59:54 pm »

I'm surprised no-one's answered the question yet.
with
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
or
;D
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Groveller

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Wingéd Giant Caveswallowmanman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 09:34:49 pm »

Build a fortress under the ocean. Or, better still, create a sea of magma and build your fortress under that.

You need some imagination to get the most out of Dwarf Fortress. With a decent imagination you won't run out of things to do...
The raccoon's still there, though.  Just chilling out.  Being a raccoon in some rocks.

Grov: Grovness is a Grov (A Grov Grov)

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 09:40:34 pm »

Recreate your favorite location for your favorite novel/movie etc. (eg, say, make your own Moria)
Magma is overrated.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 09:44:59 pm »

I'm surprised no-one's answered the question yet.
with
or
;D
So my answer doesn't count? :'(

HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 11:28:56 pm »

I'm finding the [SLOW_LEARNER] tag to be the cleanest and simplest way to ratchet up the game difficulty without 'self crippling' play.

What does that do and where do you put it?
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 11:54:19 pm »

The thing about DF is that it does get kind of boring if you play it straight, and you're right to say that it does lack content right now, in a sense. There's not much immediate challenge except for sieges (which get stomped easily enough if you set up any decent defenses) and maybe embarking on some sort of frozen, evil glacier or something.

However, what most people seem to play DF for is crazy challenges. The game itself is fun, but what can keep you going is figuring out your own ridiculous things to do. For intsance, my last fortress idea was to embark on this weird-as-hell location with a frozen jungle (yes.), glacier, and tundra on the same map, all Terrifying, and try to cage as many different types of creatures as possible. Basically a Dwarven research station. Another idea I need to accomplish is building a golden city in the sky, but that'll have to wait.

People do all kinds of crazy things, from building giant inverted pyramids to draining the ocean.

The thing to remember here is that DF's quality largely lies in emergent gameplay/storytelling. It doesn't hand you objectives on a silver platter or anything, but it's nice to create your own and see what happens along the way, and the game is complex enough that the stories you'll get out of it can be quite entertaining.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 12:32:42 am »

I play with about 10 different goblin civs and the orcs.
No traps.
No overpowered metals.
Dwarves only
Final dwarftenation
...That was terrible.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 12:48:48 am »

You'd kinda figured that if Toady knows (in a sense) how long its gonna take based on his progress so far you'd think he would release what he has midway through or something but meh, DF is fun regardless.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 02:44:02 am »

That wouldn't necessarily work.

Here's the thing: He usually DOES release a lot of small, incremental releases, particularly for minor things. However:

1) He's breaking save compatibility with this release, and he probably wouldn't want to do it twice within the span of a few months.

2) He's not necessarily working on a single thing at a time. He tends to jump back and forth sometimes between goals.

3) A lot of the major things he's working on can wind up being interrelated in some fashion, making an intermediate release impossible.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head, anyway.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 02:48:05 am »

I play with about 10 different goblin civs and the orcs.
No traps.
No overpowered metals.
Dwarves only
Final dwarftenation
...That was terrible.

The spinning =Terrible Pun= hits Jackrabbit in his respect for other human beings!
It explodes in gore!
Jackrabbit looks sick!
Pages: [1] 2