Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarves scared by caged undead  (Read 4981 times)

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves scared by caged undead
« on: November 21, 2008, 05:27:52 am »

I've got a nice little fort just starting up on a Haunted grassland with zombies, a brook, a few trees, magma, sand, and even sedimentary rock.

Awesome.

Anyway it's the first winter and we have the bridge down while waiting for the liason to leave, we get rushed very slowly by six zombie rehesus marques. I draft everyone and we rush up to defend our watchkitten.

It's a very easy fight. The first Zonkey gets caught in a cage trap and the rest get picked to shreds. But now I have a real problem. The guys won't do anything because they're afraid of the caged undead monkey. They won't reload the trap, they won't carry the cage away, they won't pick up the bodies. I actually had one guy stuck outside because he rushed outside in terror and was too scared to approach the gate again. I had to re-draft him.

How do I get rid of this thing? I can't haul the cage away and I can't kill it. I can't open the cage because there's no way to attach a mechanism. Is there a solution to this?

EDIT: Found the problem. It's not the caged one at all. There's a free one stuck in the perimeter ditch. I can sort that out.

EDIT2: Sorted. Only I just saw my mechanic load a stone-fall trap with Cinnabar. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to break somebody's skull with a rock that causes mercury poisoning as well.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 05:57:33 am by Marlowe »

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves scared by caged undead
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 06:40:35 am »

we get rushed very slowly by six zombie rehesus marques.

Love that image.

Zombie: Graaaah!
Urist McScreamer: AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
Urist McScreamer: come on Armok dammit. some of us have places to be

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 08:38:55 am »

I didn't mention that three of my guys went to sleep on the spot. Normally that sort of thing annoys me. In this case it just seemed like they had their priorities right.

Zomkeys really love falling in the ditch. They tried it again with 10 of them. I spotted them coming only when they were 6 tiles from the gate, and we still got some people mustered up from the barracks to hold it against them. Three of them fell in the ditch. A wrestler with an axe jumped in to finish them off.

Brave dwarf, that one. Not smart. But brave.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 10:07:34 am »

I really wish that the messages came with some way to zoom to the source of the message.  I spent a lot of time getting spammed with "Interrupted by goblin wrestler" messages once before finding out the the goblin had dodged into the moat and was now below the drawbridge.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 10:36:45 am »

I really wish that the messages came with some way to zoom to the source of the message.  I spent a lot of time getting spammed with "Interrupted by goblin wrestler" messages once before finding out the the goblin had dodged into the moat and was now below the drawbridge.

ya know, you can zoom in to hostiles with the plain ol' u-menua.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 11:31:19 am »

I keep hostiles caged for my arena.  Tend to have 30 of them at a time. 
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 11:36:01 am »

Plus any undead map tends to have quite a few undead. That's the charm. We go out sometimes to look at the zombie horses and wave at them as they pass by.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 01:42:36 pm »

The dwarven thing to do would be to undermine the cage or encase it in obsidian.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 01:48:22 pm »

The dwarven thing to do would be to undermine the cage or encase it in obsidian.

Seeing as miners cannot reach it, undermining would be problematic. The solution?
 Dig out a room directly below the cage. Set up a wall segment above the offending cage, and collapse it. This is assuming there is already a ceiling above the cage. Unless you make a really tall tower so they won't see the cage beneath them as they construct the cave-in mechanisim.

The wall falls, crashes through the thin floor into a pit. Seal the pit 'till the end of time.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 02:11:04 pm »

This problem wouldn't exist with magma trenches  ::).
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 06:33:12 pm »

It was the first winter. There wasn't a ceiling above the cage. But thanks all the same.

Yes, thank you. Magma trenches. Why didn't I think of that? OH YEAH, SKELETAL FIRE IMPS.

EDIT: Seriously, seriously, sorry for the sarcasm. But that's three responses in a row by people who didn't seem to grasp it was the FIRST YEAR. I had seven dwarves with a lot to do, a bridge, a ditch, and a few fortifications. ALL that last lot implied a lot of infrastructure already in place plus a supply of labour.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 06:41:52 pm by Marlowe »

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 04:42:06 pm »

I've seen at least two forts with a magma moat by the end of year 1. Granted it's not easy, but it's doable.
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 09:39:44 pm »

Hmmm, which is more dwarvern fortress, ignoring all the essentials of survival to get a moat of burning death in your first year or having untrained woodcutters leaping into your empty moat every year to go hand to hand with zombie monkeys?   Its decisions like this that make this that make holes worth digging.
  Zomkeys: yet another word Im going to try desperately to bring to the general public.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 03:21:30 am »

I've seen at least two forts with a magma moat by the end of year 1. Granted it's not easy, but it's doable.

While carrying 150 towercap logs and 50 tanned hides downstairs? And hiding out from Zorses, Zomkeys, and Zamels? Although, Zorses, Zomkeys and Zamels aren't nearly as bad as skeletals. The only fort I've ever had wiped out was to Skamels.

Of course, if I had had a magma moat, it would have cost me some bones, a soldier, and my only axe. Which is also our only melee weapon right now. This way it cost me a few moments of confusion.

Manchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 07:13:55 am »

my only questiopn is this:

Isnt what is said here traditionally considered an oxymoron?

Anyway it's the first winter and we have the bridge down while waiting for the liason to leave, we get rushed very slowly by six zombie rehesus marques.

RUSHED VERY SLOWLY....BY ZONKEYS!?
that is really contradictory

i can see it now....bored? smoke a zamel....it is beneficial to your health!
surgeons general warning? may cause magma-itis, a case where a suicidal dwarf decides to jump into a magma moat....will not cause lung cancer
There are two types of Christians:
Those that believe in God,

And those that suffer from retardation.
Pages: [1] 2 3