Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: starting a clothing industry/Farmer guesstimations  (Read 4848 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
starting a clothing industry/Farmer guesstimations
« on: November 18, 2008, 10:03:42 pm »

After learning of the incredible number of quality modifiers attached to cloth and clothing items, i think it'd be very profitable to start a clothing industry.

problem is, i don't know where to start, as i've never done it before.

i have plenty of useable underground space i can use for farm plots, but how many 10x10 plots would i need to produce a constant neverending supply of thread/dye for a group of dedicated weavers and dyers?

I currently have 5 very experienced dedicated farmers (with 'only farmers harvest' on). how many more farmers would i need to guarantee that all of the thread/dye farms are planted and harvested in a timely fashion?

from what i've read on the wiki article for the cloth industry, it sounds like a lot of micromanaging is necessary to keep my clothiers from using undyed thread. Is their an easy way to guarantee that cloth production follows the stringent pattern of harvest -> weave -> dye -> manufacture instead of harvest -> weave -> manufacture?

any other pointers?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: starting a clothing industry/Farmer guesstimations
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 10:14:00 pm »

Heres how it works.

Farmer harvests the cloth plant.
Farmer workshop changes it to thread.
Dyer dyes the thread.
Weaver weaves thread into cloth.
Clothier makes cloth into products at either clothesmaking workshop or craftsmen workshop.

In your workshop order list you can turn off auto weave or make the weaver only use dyed thread and dyed cloth.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 10:21:12 pm »

Don't forget you need to grind your dye plants.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 10:33:36 pm »

What you need is:
  • Dimple cups, etc ( Don't use hide roots , just make sure to stack you dyes if you're going to use hide root dye )
  • Pig Tail, Cave Spider silk... ( Giant Spider Silk are the win )
  • Animals for leather ( Leather Workeries > Sew Image ) Idk?

Here is a fact, you can dye and decorate cloths as much as you want, just use different, decorators.
Fact, two, the better their skill the happier you'll be, high grade cloth adorned with high grade decorators is the gold ticket.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 10:42:22 pm by Foa »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 10:57:34 pm »

What you need is:
  • Dimple cups, etc ( Don't use hide roots , just make sure to stack you dyes if you're going to use hide root dye )

Here is a fact, you can dye and decorate cloths as much as you want, just use different, decorators.
Fact, two, the better their skill the happier you'll be, high grade cloth adorned with high grade decorators is the gold ticket.

So, i can dye and decorate as much as i want you said? i just need two separate dwarfs doing the decorating? i was wondering what the heck was up with this article when it said that i could, but my leatherworker would only sew single images onto things despite having a wide range of leathers to use.

So, i can dye the same cloth multiple different colors? seems like that would require an incredible increase to dye-producing crops, and thus necessary number of farmers. still not sure of the planting/harvesting speed of legendary farmers though.

So, an ideal setup for a cloth industry would be 1 legendary weaver, 2 legendary dyers, and 2 legendary clothiers? think i could bundle dyers and clothiers into the same dwarf?

Foa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 11:14:50 pm »

What you need is:

So, i can dye and decorate as much as i want you said? i just need two separate dwarfs doing the decorating? i was wondering what the heck was up with this article when it said that i could, but my leatherworker would only sew single images onto things despite having a wide range of leathers to use.

So, i can dye the same cloth multiple different colors? seems like that would require an incredible increase to dye-producing crops, and thus necessary number of farmers. still not sure of the planting/harvesting speed of legendary farmers though.

So, an ideal setup for a cloth industry would be 1 legendary weaver, 2 legendary dyers, and 2 legendary clothiers? think i could bundle dyers and clothiers into the same dwarf?
No bundling, it slows things down in the beginning, and isn't as fast as a group in the higher skill range.

You just need millers, threshers, farmers, potash makers, wood burners, tanners, butchers, leather workers, dyers, weavers, clothiers, and workshop farmers...

Potash makes the produce stacks alot bigger, like up to 11, rope reed, which is an all year plant produce, pig tails ( for a boost in production in some seasons ) , wood for ash ( potash needs ash ) , leather, dye, silk if you can obtain some for profit ( if bought off of merchant then enhanced by your workers, then buy, buy, buy, sell, sell, sell ) ...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 11:33:17 pm »

No bundling, it slows things down in the beginning, and isn't as fast as a group in the higher skill range.

You just need millers, threshers, farmers, potash makers, wood burners, tanners, butchers, leather workers, dyers, weavers, clothiers, and workshop farmers...
Potash makes the produce stacks alot bigger, like up to 11, rope reed, which is an all year plant produce, pig tails ( for a boost in production in some seasons ) , wood for ash ( potash needs ash ) , leather, dye, silk if you can obtain some for profit ( if bought off of merchant then enhanced by your workers, then buy, buy, buy, sell, sell, sell ) ...

My map doesn't have a chasm or any spiders, so no on-site silk production for me! i can still import some though.

you'll notice i colored some of the jobs in your list, the red ones are somewhat extraneous and trivial, in either they're so easy to not be a concern, not truly necessary, or they are necessary, but the jobs can be outsourced via trading. the green ones are necessary, but are a given considering what i'm talking about. the whole industry seems like a big project, which sounds fun.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 11:57:35 pm »

My map doesn't have a chasm or any spiders, so no on-site silk production for me! i can still import some though.

you'll notice i colored some of the jobs in your list, the red ones are somewhat extraneous and trivial, in either they're so easy to not be a concern, not truly necessary, or they are necessary, but the jobs can be outsourced via trading. the green ones are necessary, but are a given considering what i'm talking about. the whole industry seems like a big project, which sounds fun.
Here's a note, how are you going to get leather ( import is not enough ) .

So animal ranching is a go, and it also provides food, just make sure to kill the elders first!
Then there is fishing, for shells, and bones, so no cooky the the turtles.

And if I'm not mistaken I think you can adorn cloth/clothes with bones.

Also, melting down metal to stud things, or mint coins ( use the bling stack multiplier ) is profitable.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 12:09:24 am »

With one farmer and one thresher/miller/hauler, and one dyer/weaver/clothier, you should be buying every caravan out fairly soon.  A basic cloth can fetch 60 from a bag or a rope.  Dye adds 20.  With quality mods, let's call it 100 on average at the first caravan.  You only need 20 bags to buy basically everything of interest (anvil and food).  With a better-than-novice grower and no fertilizer, a 3x3 plot should do: dye in the spring, pig tails in summer while you mill, and you have time to dye and sew in early fall.  If you find rope reed, you can grow that in spring to get a head start.  Maybe make it 3x4 to be sure.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 12:51:21 am »

With one farmer and one thresher/miller/hauler, and one dyer/weaver/clothier, you should be buying every caravan out fairly soon.  A basic cloth can fetch 60 from a bag or a rope.  Dye adds 20.  With quality mods, let's call it 100 on average at the first caravan.  You only need 20 bags to buy basically everything of interest (anvil and food).  With a better-than-novice grower and no fertilizer, a 3x3 plot should do: dye in the spring, pig tails in summer while you mill, and you have time to dye and sew in early fall.  If you find rope reed, you can grow that in spring to get a head start.  Maybe make it 3x4 to be sure.
What about the leather, and metal decoration industry?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 01:04:31 am »

i'm sorry Benoit, your caravans must be different from MY caravans cause when i go to buy, i don't buy a measly 2000 dwarfins worth of things, i buy every type of meat, plant, and drink, valuable metal bars of every variety, metal ores of every variety, wood of every variety, barrels, pets, small gems of every variety, CRAPLOADS of leather (easily over 20+ pages of leather bins for BOTH human and dwarven caravans, more than enough to last me for the whole year) and NOW i'm going to be buying cloths/threads, spider silk/threads, and GCS silk/threads. maybe even from the damn Elves.

the cost of all this for both human and dwarven caravans easily equates into over 30,000 dwarfins worth of things, goblin ambushes ain't gonna pay for that.

and foa, stop worrying about leather and metal-decorating and whatnot, i'm worrying about Cloth right now and how to produce craploads of it.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 01:08:22 am »

i'm sorry Benoit, your caravans must be different from MY caravans cause when i go to buy, i don't buy a measly 2000 dwarfins worth of things, i buy every type of meat, plant, and drink, valuable metal bars of every variety, metal ores of every variety, wood of every variety, barrels, pets, small gems of every variety, CRAPLOADS of leather (easily over 20+ pages of leather bins for BOTH human and dwarven caravans, more than enough to last me for the whole year) and NOW i'm going to be buying cloths/threads, spider silk/threads, and GCS silk/threads. maybe even from the damn Elves.

the cost of all this for both human and dwarven caravans easily equates into over 30,000 dwarfins worth of things, goblin ambushes ain't gonna pay for that.

and foa, stop worrying about leather and metal-decorating and whatnot, i'm worrying about Cloth right now and how to produce craploads of it.
Keep us in tune with you economic progress!
I'm seriously thinking of joining the industry!

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 01:42:24 am »

It's a really easy, low-maintainance industry really. Fogcrystal is bursting with the stuff. I don't bother with leather images (my leather gets used for bags, boots, backparks, quivers, gloves et cetera) or metal studs. There's enough quality modifiers involved to run up the value quite quickly. You get a quality modifier from the weaving, the clothesmaking and the dyeing. By aware that there's a certain speed level to the various tasks.

Plant processing gets done the fastest. The thread will pile up.

Weaving is probably the next fastest, although I'm not 100% sure. I always have cloth piled up but that's because I have more looms than clothiers.

Clothier's shop runs at a middling speed.

Milling/Dyeing is the slowest operation, probably because the millers have to have a bag and the seed to do the job, and the Dyers need the cloth and the dye. Twice as many items to fetch. Obviously strategic custom stockpiles could help here.

The pig tails grow underground but only through half the year, but the dimple dye (which makes things midnight blue) grows all year around. If you have surface farming you can plant rope reed (I get the seeds off the Elves), Blade reed (Green Dye), and Hide Root (Red Dye). A herbalist can help find you the first seeds for these crops, or you can just trade for them. There's also the rare and mysterious SLiver barb (a Fogcrystal specialty) which makes black dye.

In spite of the "cave spider silk for the win comment" there's really no difference in price. It's just a different form of cloth with a different method of gathering. The silk has to be collected from a while away but doesn't require processing. It hits the looms as soon as it's brought in.

Similarly, there's no reason why you should prefer rope reed over pig tails or vice versa. In their undyed forms, pig tails are white and rope reed is green.

Hide root is less valuable than the other dyes, and it's use should probably be avoided.

As long as the whole thing is co-ordinated through manager screen, and you start with enough bags, this is a very easy and satisfying industry (it gives the dwarves lots of satisfying acquisitions to make) with minimal resource requirement.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. Milling and Plant processing don't seem to have quality levels, so you can give those jobs to any odd-job droog. Weaving is something you want skilled dwarves doing, but the dynamic changes if you DO have silk. Because weaving also includes silk gathering, and you will want multiple silk gatherers.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 01:53:32 am by Marlowe »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 01:58:01 am »

"and you start with enough bags" you say? i have hundreds upon hundreds of bags... my glassmakers are insatiable you see, and there are plenty left over.

great advice btw. i've just learned that i even HAVE a manager screen, so i'm still getting used to that.

i still need a guesstimate of the average amount of work a single legendary grower can do so i don't have too few growers. perhaps i should just double the number of farmers next time a migrant wave hits and hope for the best.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 04:11:56 am »

In spite of the "cave spider silk for the win comment" there's really no difference in price. It's just a different form of cloth with a different method of gathering.

You forgot about the word "Giant", which makes the silk ten times more valuable.
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0
Pages: [1] 2 3