Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: starting a clothing industry/Farmer guesstimations  (Read 4845 times)

makar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: starting a clothing industry/Farmer guesstimations
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 04:44:24 am »

And think careful about the location of your empty bags and your dimple cups (or other millable plants). Place them close to your millers.

In the early times a quern (or two or three) will do.
A millstone (externally powered, required mechanisms) is much much quicker, guestimate, one milstone is as fast as 2,5 querns.

Don't boother about matching the exact correct number of work jobs, just work in bulk.

I usually have my farmers also set to milling and plant processing. That way they work the whole year round.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 05:05:55 am »

Use the cloth you have to make cloth crafts at a craft shop. Usually makes 2-3 (IIRC), which gives you a big boost in value. Usually, i don't bother with dying at all, and i have a 5*5 plot working pigtails for 6 months, with a legendary weaver and clothier, i have more than enough crafts to buy out the caravans 10 times over each year.
Magma is overrated.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 06:32:52 am »

Although then your dwarves aren't getting new clothing. Which was kind of the initial idea with me. The trade applications I discovered later.

The only things I have to add is that socks, for some reason, are the most valuable clothing item. And be wary of producing cloaks as, if you didn't know already, your Dungeon master will steal them. He's basically a cloak klepto and will become a walking quantum cloak stockpile.

When you think of a dungeon master, imagine a small, ambulatory pile of pig tail cloth.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 07:00:11 am »

actually Marlowe, Socks are tied with shoes for highest value among the clothes.

how do i know? because i study this!.

fogcrystal must be a really interesting fort.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2008, 07:05:57 am »

Oh? We have lots of blue trainers. ;D

I mostly make shoes out of leather, so I never noticed. I ordered the pig tail shoes made before I realised we had over 800 leather hides in stock.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2008, 07:39:36 am »

Basically, You're buying all the extra crap from the caravans to justify the excess of cloth you're producing?
Dont think anyone mentioned that you can bejewel the cloth.
And if you want you can use multiple gems per piece aslong as theyre different kinds of gems.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 07:55:35 am »

I'm not producing any excess of cloth, i haven't even planted the farms yet, i'm still working out the logistics of the operation... and i don't have any seeds, gotta outsource'em.

and yes i'm aware that things can be encrusted multiple times, of all my industries, my jewelry industry is the one which i am most proud of, because it gives me a proper excuse to scour and plunder the inside of the planet for small shiny rocks.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2008, 07:56:45 am »

Trouble is, you can't bejewel CLOTHING; only finished goods.

Which means you need to have your stockpiles set up carefully, or you'll get a -mudstone amulet- decorated instead of that masterwork phantom spider silk robe w/ exceptional sliver barb dye. Granted, is there really much difference?

EDIT: WHY do people want to encrust something multiple times when they could use the same resource on different items. It's a SOCK for pete' sake! I have some silly number of them in stores. I don't want it encircled with bands of turtle shell, spikes of werewolf bone, studs of zinc and encrusted with grey chalcedony. Just one of those things. Then we can can it a job and move on to the rest.

Chaotic, you don't need a lot of seeds. If you have somebody with herbalism and you have shrubs, send him out. The only thing you might need to trade for are the underground plants.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 08:01:58 am by Marlowe »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2008, 08:03:40 am »

yeah, i really super-dee-duper hope that the ability to give more specific orders to your decorating dorfs in the future. granted though, that because decorations only add a certain amount of value, it doesn't really matter what is encrusted because you get the same amount either way.

MY EDIT IN RESPONSE TO MARLOWE'S EDIT: thats the thing, i have incredibly limited amounts of safe-outdoor space, and would rather i take advantage of my cavernous amounts of sandy indoor space.

as for that decorated sock? that sounds like a sweet sock, i'd wear it.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 08:14:04 am by chaoticjosh »

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2008, 08:04:43 am »

10x10 good pile only accepting silk/leather/cloth surrounding a jevelwers.
Not hard at all ^^

Incase you're interessted in continous production i can't help you. I tend to simply Craft huge batches that just occupy my piles, unable to trade it all away for reasonable prices.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2008, 08:13:01 am »

Sorry, my jewelers do FURNITURE. That's the stuff we keep.

Not that it matters; the clothing is worth enough as it is. Putting gems over it is painting the lily, or gilding refin'd gold. And yes, I do know the exact quote. It doesn't mean I'm less of a man.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2008, 08:18:14 am »

Not sure what quote you're talking but i do know that i use the low value gems to bejewel goods and i dont care wich, I just want to get rid of them.

Star gems is what glitters on my stuff

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2008, 09:19:33 am »

If you're not safe overground, that makes it even simpler. It means you just use pig tails and dimple cups. There's no economic reason to use anything else. You probably started with pig tails anyway. Get dimple cup seeds in trade from the dwarven caravan. You only need 1 bag and some soil, and you'll be in midnight blue heaven before you know it.

You only need one farming plot if you're doing this. Plant Pig Tails in the "On Season",and dimple cups otherwise. Both will rack up fast.

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2008, 09:51:30 am »

is it me or does cloth making feel distinctly... undwarvish.. ..

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2008, 10:17:23 am »

What? haven't you noticed they're addicted to socks?
Pages: 1 [2] 3