Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Organic Technology!  (Read 6542 times)

Rabek Jeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Organic Technology!
« on: November 18, 2008, 05:03:57 am »

Okay, there are not nearly enough games (that I can find) that offer races/technology trees that let you have organic technology. All I know of is EV Nova and StarCraft.

EV Nova being a very good game, but I need more.

Any suggestions?

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Organic Technology!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 05:39:09 am »

Dark Colony. The aliens had organic things (including buildings and oil harvesters) for the most part. Although from my memory, both sides played the same anyway (like in Warcraft).

Space Empires V has an organic tech line, but you'd have to use it along with normal tech and in the end it's just stats, really (although the organic equipment does regenerate by itself, I think).

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 06:40:17 am »

This makes me want a Half Life RTS.  Most of the Combine Armor seems to be at least partially organic.  Hunters, Striders, Dropships, and Gunships, namely, are pretty obviously organic in nature.
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 07:10:47 am »

I thought about a Half Life RTS back when I was playing the first one, watching the interplay of Earth soldiers fighting the very organic technology of the Xen aliens.  Vortigaunt skirmishers around the hard core of Grunts, with technical air support from Controllers.  Gargantua for tanks and air-rays for transports.  A HL2 based game makes just as much sense - some kind of small-squad affair like Company of Heroes.  It just writes itself.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 07:48:06 am »

I don't like HL1 as much as HL2.  It's mainly the human soldiers.  They've got insane reflexes, and it's nearly impossible to kill them without taking 20 or more damage.
Shoes...

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 09:38:38 am »

There is a HL2 RTS out there btw. Check out mod DB... Acctually ill link you too it http://www.moddb.com/mods/half-life-2-wars

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 10:44:46 am »

Yeah, but they killed the AI for HL2:W.  Your peeps will gladly stand around not doing anything while a combine soldier runs up and shoots every last one of them in the face.

And don't get me started on the goddamn turrets.

HL2:W is incredibly promising.  But it really doesn't keep its promise.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 12:57:40 pm »

Alpha Centauri...By Sid. 
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 11:30:14 pm »

Alpha Centarui doesn't have a real organic tech line, just the worms you can use. Technically the Army Men RTS games are about carbon plastic soldiers fighting so its technically organic.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

JustOnePixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 02:48:25 am »

Didn't the expansion (Alien Crossfire) feature some organic tech paths?
Tessie! 'nuf said' McGreevy shouted,
we're not here to mess around!
Boston, you know we love you madly,
hear the crowd roar to your sound!
Don't blame us if we ever doubt ya, you know we couldn't live without ya!
RED SOX!  You are the only, only, only!

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 02:55:47 am »

The scrin in Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars have a bit of organic technology. I'm not sure if it's the style you want though...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 03:01:48 am »

Just reminded me of a completely ignored RTS 'Dark Reign 2'.  Two factions, one of which revolves around beastmasters that tame wild animals roaming around the map.

Oh and an equally obscure RTS series 'War Wind'.  One faction was motile plants.  The sequel combined them with another faction that used animals and such for everything.

I don't like HL1 as much as HL2.  It's mainly the human soldiers.  They've got insane reflexes, and it's nearly impossible to kill them without taking 20 or more damage.

See, for me HL1 was better for just that reason.  The soldiers seemed genuinely aware of you and pissed off.   The Combine are just bog-standard dystopian stormtroopers, and seemed like they stripped out the squad tactics of HL1 in favor of more cheap-shots.  Just not as thrilling to me.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 03:09:53 am »

Let me see "Organic" Technology...

Command and Concor (however you spell it) Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge had the ability to develop a ray that turned people into the incredable hulk as well as tons of clones.

Warcraft 3 has the Night Elves and as well as developing stronger claws for their bears they also produce more and more giant talking trees

Dune 3 (not that great) has several units who are developed from genetic experiements such as the guild master who is a person who through spice mutation is a giant electric shooting worm.

Impossible Creatures it is really the point of the game...

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 06:07:24 am »

Well, Dawn of War 2 has the Tyranids coming up. They're pretty much the default image people get when you mention 'organic technology', I suppose.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 08:07:13 am »

I remember an old RTS that had organic tech, stealing DNA from the other factions to genetically alter your units, besides researching your own tech tree for improvements.

I don't remember the name. I recall the factions being "tribes", and energy was harvested by planting some sort of cabbages in special soil, which then spread until they met the other tribe's cabbages.  Power towers would then get energy from all cabbage in range.
Pages: [1] 2 3