Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Organic Technology!  (Read 6533 times)

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Organic Technology!
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2008, 10:37:51 am »

I loved the crop-growing bit.  I've always enjoyed terraforming.  Don't recall that much of it, though.  I remember vaguely Spore-like appendages and electric fences.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2008, 02:15:25 pm »

Warbreeds!  Goddamn that's been a long time.  I was another who only played the demo, but damn did I play that demo as much as it could be played!

It gets really fun if you can find the cheats for it.  That will allow you to spawn units you can't normally access, or give you technology that's not supposed to be in the demo.  It lets you play a lot more of the game than intended, which is always fun.

But yeah, that's an awesome game.  Just watch out for those bug-guys.  They can really mess up your day if you don't put a clamp on them early on.

Actualy in the ful game the "bug guys"or sensoth arn't half as anoying as the Tanu (lizzard dudes), who have a weapon that can blast away a whole crop field in one go, or the elephant-likes (forgot their name) who actualy have a long range weapon of mass destruction at their disposal.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2008, 07:37:00 pm »

Genesis Rising is another that heavily features organic tech, in this case organic, evolving starships.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Rabek Jeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2008, 07:58:27 pm »

Genesis Rising is another that heavily features organic tech, in this case organic, evolving starships.

I normally _love_ bioships like that, but Genesis Rising just didn't pull it off well at all. They didn't feel organic, they felt like any other slotted upgrade system.

JustOnePixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2008, 08:12:47 pm »

I played the demo to Genesis Riding and was pretty lukewarm about it all, but then one of my commanders loudly proclaimed "Suck them dry!" and I completely lost it.
Tessie! 'nuf said' McGreevy shouted,
we're not here to mess around!
Boston, you know we love you madly,
hear the crowd roar to your sound!
Don't blame us if we ever doubt ya, you know we couldn't live without ya!
RED SOX!  You are the only, only, only!

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2008, 09:20:07 am »

Warbreed and War Winds both sound very good, pretty much just what I wanted, but I can't find them anywhere. A shame, really.
Warbreeds (press the "pobierz" link) and War Wind 2 (press download link twice). War Wind 1 appears to be still sold at CDAccess, so it's not really abandonware (yet).

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2008, 01:27:20 am »

I remember War Wind. I kept screwing around with extensive naval defences with underwater diver/spy/sapper people and then getting screwed over on land. Also, I think the campaign was exceedingly difficult, and you could recruit npcs to make grunts.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2008, 04:41:50 am »

On the subject of organic spaceships: there was this little space conqest game named 'Spacewad Ho!'. From time to time you were given an option to 'build' a giant space monster. It liked to use your planets' population for fuel. Mighty fun.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2009, 11:24:16 am »

Ehh, sorry to bring this back up, but I felt a sudden hankering to play WarBreeds.  I didn't find it on Abandonia, and "pobierz" isn't working for some reason.  I'm downloading the demo, but there's only so much you can do with that...

Uggh, nevermind...  It would appear I can't play it anyways.  Can't open one or more necessary files.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2009, 01:55:52 am »

On the subject of organic spaceships: there was this little space conqest game named 'Spacewad Ho!'.

i think i know her.
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2009, 06:59:53 am »

I'm going to try Alpha Centauri, though. One of those classics that I've been meaning to try.

Be warned, if you like Civilization/4X type games at all, it will consume you utterly for a week or so.  It really is one of the finest examples of the craft ever made, and you'll learn all kinds of outdated crazy crap about '90s transhumanism.

Oh, Alpha Centauri...

Gods I loved the idea of Planet. That really is one hell of a good game.
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.
Follow the ups and down of Urist McBeard, Minerdorf

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2009, 07:46:24 am »

Anyone here ever play Impossible Creatures? It was a fun little game where you had to design your units by picking two normal creatures and combining them. In the campaign mode you would have to hunt down the creatures before you could use them whereas in skirmishes you would go in with a bunch of preset units you couldn't change.

EDIT: Removed pointless repetition.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 01:34:46 pm by thatguyyaknow »
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2009, 10:41:14 am »

I played all of IC. I liked the name someone gave it, "Impossible Lobsters", specially because it was so true, the best creatures were those genespliced with lobsters (great armor, swimming and regeneration).

I think regeneration should be mandatory for all units in all RTS's :P (even if it's only up to half health or something... even tanks). I remember that martial arts RTS that is so awesome, wossname, Battle Realms... I hated micromanaging the healer geishas, and Winter of the Wolf expansion added a warrior/barbarian faction that had no healers but where every unit had regen. The campaign was kinda awful but the regeneration made it more playable.

(any strategy game where peasants start going kung-fu at your spearmen ass if your try to invade is awesome)

Which brings us to... organic technology. Yeah. What do you do if your spaceship starts dying of prostate cancer?

EDIT: That reminds me. In the RPG game Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed (sequel to Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday, which is a game that everyone should play. It's like one of those old SSI gold box D&D games such as Pool of Radiance, except that it doesn't suck, and it has rocket and plasma launchers and all kinds of sci-fi weapony goodness), at some point of the game you have to get into a huge organic ship to get to Jupiter or somesuch - previously in both games you were able to pilot your own rocketship around the inner planets and as far as the asteroid belt, but for some reason it was stated that the outer planets were just too far away to reach with normal ships... so yeah, organic ships. I guess they eat void or something.

Anyway I liked that it was realistic because a lot of that "act" you had to solve problems like sabotaged (severed) nerves that you had to fix with Doctor skill instead of repair, and make antidote for the poison it had received or some sort of virus. Also this ship wasn't conventional in the way that it didn't actually engage in spacefights, it was a plot ship. The sphincter doors looked also kinda funny.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 10:48:11 am by Sergius »

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2009, 01:38:13 pm »

I Don't actually remember using lobsters that much, my pride creation was my Gorale (Gorilla/Whale) which I would churn out in the hundreds once I hit tech level 5. I also had a nice little flying unit which was a crocodile combined with something else only I can't remember what, I do remember that it had incredible health/armour compared to most of the other flying units.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2009, 03:31:17 pm »

I remember playing IC for a while, spending almost all my time in the creature editor, discovering that the fights weren't really that interesting, and promptly set it aside to start collecting dust.

I also remember doing some heavy-duty experimenting with the various creature combinations.  As it turns out, the hands-down winner for most damage dealt, is a dragonfly combined with a whale.  It's dreadfully slow and isn't particularly great in other aspects, but it holds the highest damage rating of an unit in the game.  Kinda strange.

Ah yes, I remember Battle Realms.  I was actually thinking about that just recently.  Fun game, lots of nice battle sequences.  The campaign was indeed a pain, but I never played the expansion so I never got to see those fancy regenerating units.

I think one of my favorite parts from that game was summoning little helper golems for the Lotus clan.  Thus buggers were just so damned cute.
Pages: 1 2 [3]