Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: A Question of Scale  (Read 3920 times)

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
Re: A Question of Scale
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2008, 02:11:09 pm »

Well Dragons and a Collosus arn't exactly good ideas to judge the size of a tile since it isn't an exact measurement

Anyhow let me see...

Size 20 is a whale shark... assuming Wikipedia is correct (which it often isn't) is 40 feet long and an unknown width.

So that is around 2 feet per size and since there is nothing above Size 20, this gives us an estimate that each square is 40 feet by 40 feet.

Of course that is only if we apply real world physics.

Of course as we know the Earth to the moon axis is an ENTIRELY different story.
it is a way to see but you can put more then one animal in a tile, so if you put many whales it will be ... wait  ... compressed whales???
once we alredy discussed it in an other thread (search is a nice feature of this forum) and we ended on saying it can not be other than elastic
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2008, 02:12:34 pm »

I went with an exponential function using a typical human height of 6 feet and the whale shark of 20 ft.  Assuming a form of A e ^ (B x), using those two data points, you get the function (2.16 ft.) * e ^ (0.146 x), which gives the following:

Size in DFSize in Feet
12'-6"
22'-11"
33'-4"
43'-10"
54'-6"
65'-2"
76'-0"
86'-11"
98'-0"
109'-4"
1110'-9"
1212'-5"
1314'-5"
1416'-8"
1519'-4"
1622'-4"
1725'-10"
1829'-11"
1934'-7"
2040'-1"

Edit: sorry, forgot to point out some of the nice things here.  First, it sort of breaks down at the smaller scale.  Size 1 being 2'6 is questionable.  However, size 9 (Troll) being 8'-0" seems right.  Size 16 (Elephant) is 22'-4" which fits nicely for the length of an adult African Bush Elephant.  This means dwarfs are at a little over 5', which isn't that much shorter than a person.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 02:16:49 pm by LumenPlacidum »

KrataLightblade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2008, 10:17:45 pm »

Sizedoesn't only mean "height/length", I don't think.

It also measures general volume.  Which is why a whale is so big... yes, it's long, but it's also as big around as a house, you know?
Noble corpses: the secret ingredient in machinery lubricant.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2008, 10:27:45 pm »

Edit: sorry, forgot to point out some of the nice things here.  First, it sort of breaks down at the smaller scale.  Size 1 being 2'6 is questionable.  However, size 9 (Troll) being 8'-0" seems right.  Size 16 (Elephant) is 22'-4" which fits nicely for the length of an adult African Bush Elephant.  This means dwarfs are at a little over 5', which isn't that much shorter than a person.

Times 0.75 if it has the stout tag, maybe? Would make dwarfs about 3'-11"

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2008, 11:55:12 pm »

How much does a whale shark mass?  Wiki gives 13.6 tonnes, which I do believe is 13600 kg, and then we have an average human mass of, oh, let's say 80 kg.  Google gives 450 kg as an average horse weight.  How about 7 kg as an average cat weight.
So, size:mass, 3:7, 7:80, 9:450, and 20:13600.  Unfortunately, I don't know how to make a good regression from that in Open Office.

But my trusty TI-84 spits out mass = 3.76 * 1.53 ^ size.  I fully realize this is well and truly meaningless, but it's either this or calc homework.
We all know there's no way the average dwarf only weighs 48 kg, so this is even wronger than them being 5 feet tall.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 12:10:03 am by JoRo »
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2008, 06:46:27 pm »

??? I barely get any of this math stuff at all.

All I know is a dwarf should be smaller than I am.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2009, 10:43:54 pm »

I think a tile is a 7' cube.

Water and magma are measured in X/7 and it makes sense if dwarves are 4' tall and they drown in water over that.

The dwarf drinking doesn't take into account general sloppiness and the modeling of incidental evaporation, water consumption by pets, and consumption by vermin. Has anyone noticed if a dwarf's beard gains a covering of the liquid he has just consumed? These things may not be in but the game takes them into account in increased dwarf drinking water consumption.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: 1 2 [3]