Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 37

Author Topic: Orcs: More things to kill - Now for DF2010!  (Read 150545 times)

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Orcs: More things to kill
« Reply #315 on: April 14, 2009, 02:14:44 pm »

The link on the front page doesn't work. Has a new one been posted anywhere in the thread and I just missed it?

Zaius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 14, 2009, 07:02:31 pm »

Is there anyway to tell the difference between an orc and a goblin tower in adventure mode? i am beginning to suspect the orcs have wiped them out.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 14, 2009, 07:19:03 pm »

The link on the front page doesn't work. Has a new one been posted anywhere in the thread and I just missed it?

Seems to be working for me....

Is there anyway to tell the difference between an orc and a goblin tower in adventure mode? i am beginning to suspect the orcs have wiped them out.

Legends mode will tell you. Aside from that, I don't think so (since it translates the names for you, right?). In general, goblins will build in the mountains and orcs will build on the plains, though, which might help.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Zaius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 14, 2009, 07:34:52 pm »

Thanks, i will keep searching. For the next world i make, is there anything i can do to help the goblins survive world gen? I rarely see more than a single thief compared to the legions of orcs that attack me, and i have razed 6 orc towers without finding a single goblin in adventure mode.
Should i try increasing their birth rate?

Cult of the Raven

• Bay Watcher
  • likes beards for their dwarfyness
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 14, 2009, 08:12:45 pm »

Okay, this thread is too long. I would read through it all to try and find the answer, but meh.
When I try to gen a world with this orc mod in, it messes up the gen -
Firstly, there are no dwarves. the embarkable civ seems to always be human. Every gen I run seems to kill off the dwarfs.
Secondly, the orcs don't actually become a civilization. Instead, the gen uses war elephants. If I take out war elephants, it uses gremlins or fox squirrels.
I'm playing with a modified version of Teldin's mod (just the creatures, some plants, and food names), but the gen still messes up if I take out those files.
I'm clearing the data objects folder between each try, and I've fiddled with it a bit, but nothing I do seems to fix the issue. What do you suggest I do?

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 14, 2009, 08:43:08 pm »

Okay, this thread is too long. I would read through it all to try and find the answer, but meh.
When I try to gen a world with this orc mod in, it messes up the gen -
Firstly, there are no dwarves. the embarkable civ seems to always be human. Every gen I run seems to kill off the dwarfs.
Secondly, the orcs don't actually become a civilization. Instead, the gen uses war elephants. If I take out war elephants, it uses gremlins or fox squirrels.
I'm playing with a modified version of Teldin's mod (just the creatures, some plants, and food names), but the gen still messes up if I take out those files.
I'm clearing the data objects folder between each try, and I've fiddled with it a bit, but nothing I do seems to fix the issue. What do you suggest I do?

That sounds like a raws conflict. Check your error log to see if it's throwing any errors at you (particularly about duplicate creature names).
Try my orc mod!

Cult of the Raven

• Bay Watcher
  • likes beards for their dwarfyness
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 14, 2009, 09:26:40 pm »

yes. there was a dire wolf conflict.
Genning.....
yes, there are dwarfs, humans, elfs, goblins, and best of all, orcs. awesome.
now to have lots of fun.

thanks!

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 14, 2009, 11:07:06 pm »

Working with a few minor additions to this mod as part of my own home-brew thing. I'll post it in a week or so after I have the bugs ironed out.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 23, 2009, 03:49:45 pm »

So, is there a way to turn down the fun?

My fort: 13 dwarves (1 good marksmen and 3 wrestlers in training), 19k total value - somehow attracts 18 Orcs and a Dire Wolf... I mean, 1k per individual that comes... it can't be worth the trouble to the orcs (other than kill dwarves that is).

I know I can keep them out with bridges, etc; but I am trying to run an Anti-Orc fortress without resorting to "bottle-up-n-pick-em-off".  As such, I would like to modify how many are in an orcish battle group.  Is this possible?  is it the cluster_number?  Or Litter_Size?

thanks

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 23, 2009, 04:21:11 pm »

As such, I would like to modify how many are in an orcish battle group.  Is this possible?  is it the cluster_number?  Or Litter_Size?

Until the Army Arc or so, sieges will always come in 1 - 5 squads of 16 (15 normal + one leader), unfortunately. My initial suggestion for an anti-orc fort would be embarking with one or two trained (proficient weapon/proficient shield) sword and axe dwarves, training them as fast as you can, and building a defensive line that only allows one orc in at a time, to die in single combat with your more skilled military. Generous use of wooden spikes may also help, even if only to cripple their legs before they engage your dwarves.
Try my orc mod!

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 23, 2009, 04:47:54 pm »

Until the Army Arc or so, sieges will always come in 1 - 5 squads of 16 (15 normal + one leader)

Is that true w/ the vanilla version as well?  If so, good to know. 

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 23, 2009, 06:05:12 pm »

Well, back to the drawing board then.

thanks.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 25, 2009, 09:18:02 am »

I highly suggest making a second Orc civ with Can_Speak on from the word go, because Orc traders are awesome.

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 27, 2009, 04:34:19 pm »

Whelp, for those that use Mayday or similar 16x16 tilesets, I threw together some graphics for the Orcs.

This actually hasn't been tested yet, so I don't know if I have everything set up correctly, but here you go. Change filenames as needed, of course. It's fairly rough around the edges, so if someone with more experience with this sort of thing wants to fix anything they see that's bad, for Armok's sake, do so.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 05:20:43 pm by Tiler »

w4ldf33

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 29, 2009, 08:27:10 am »

Is it possible to entirely substitute gobos with the orcs?
If yes, what i have to do? :)
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 37