Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 37

Author Topic: Orcs: More things to kill - Now for DF2010!  (Read 150524 times)

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Orcs: More things to kill
« Reply #300 on: April 07, 2009, 12:19:32 pm »

Man this sucks I just had my second set of elves but not an orc in sight! Plus to top it off the first Goblin ambush got burnt to death after a fight between an imp and one my dogs started a forest fire! Well least it giveing me time to get steel up and running  ;D

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 07, 2009, 12:26:59 pm »

Upon looking at the raws... They don't have ANY form of building destroyer? That seems un-orclike. A locked door should mean 'Smash', not 'Where are the dwarves?'

I didn't want to give generic orcs buildingdestroyer, since then they had an annoying tendency to prioritize smashing things over killing dwarves: not very orcy either (kill, then smash). Armored War Elephants are building destroyers, partially to try to remedy the lack of general building destruction.

[CAN_LEARN] means that they will gain skill and stats, but does almost nothing for things that are generated on spawn like invading mounts.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #302 on: April 08, 2009, 11:19:28 am »

What determines whether siegers will come with mounts? I've never had goblins show up with beak dogs, but was hoping to see some orcs with mounts. I took out the spiders and wolves, but changed the elephants to ANY_LAND. My map is a swamp, I'm pretty sure the alignment is neutral. Hundreds of orcs have come over the years, but I have yet to see them bring a mount.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 08, 2009, 12:15:33 pm »

What determines whether siegers will come with mounts? I've never had goblins show up with beak dogs, but was hoping to see some orcs with mounts. I took out the spiders and wolves, but changed the elephants to ANY_LAND. My map is a swamp, I'm pretty sure the alignment is neutral. Hundreds of orcs have come over the years, but I have yet to see them bring a mount.

Creatures will bring mounts if they have access to them in world gen. Thus, if an orc civ has a fortress in lands populated by war elephants, they will bring war elephants as mounts. Beak dogs are the same way, but since they only live in evil swamps they aren't that common at all. Giving the elephants [ANY_LAND] would allow them to show up in any evil terrain (since they are [EVIL] themselves, to prevent humans/elves/dwarves from using them), but since not all creatures will show up in all terrains your orcs may not have them, especially if the civ that is attacking you is small. It has nothing to do with the terrain that you embark on.
Try my orc mod!

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 08, 2009, 06:36:53 pm »

so... if i make a creature give it mount and the orcs have access to it, they'll come riding it?

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #305 on: April 08, 2009, 06:48:58 pm »

Am I correct in thinking that I can increase the chance of mounts being accessible to the orc civ (and thereby arriving in sieges) by having War Elephants, War Mammoths, War Mastodons, War Pachyderms, War Tuskers, War Proboscids, and War Oliphaunts, all identical to your War Elephants except for name, and all having [BIOME:ANY_LAND]?

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 08, 2009, 11:00:29 pm »

These guys do their job well. Maybe too well. I'm having a really hard time getting a fortress off the ground when it's getting sieged literally every other season, before I even have time to train a proper military; I keep missing caravans while I'm waiting them out (and they wiped out one entire human caravan, except for the diplomat that was indoors at the time. Oh well, at least I got a free anvil.)

And that's without them even bringing snipers!
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 09, 2009, 07:05:35 am »

Lucky you just had my third winter with not a orc in sight!  Only had two goblin ambushes as well ???  Anyone got any idea why no one wants to come kill my dwarfs? ;D

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 09, 2009, 08:54:03 am »

Am I correct in thinking that I can increase the chance of mounts being accessible to the orc civ (and thereby arriving in sieges) by having War Elephants, War Mammoths, War Mastodons, War Pachyderms, War Tuskers, War Proboscids, and War Oliphaunts, all identical to your War Elephants except for name, and all having [BIOME:ANY_LAND]?

Yes, that will make it more likely that your orcs will have mounts.

so... if i make a creature give it mount and the orcs have access to it, they'll come riding it?
The creature needs to be [EVIL] too.

Lucky you just had my third winter with not a orc in sight!  Only had two goblin ambushes as well ???  Anyone got any idea why no one wants to come kill my dwarfs? ;D

Were they on the embark screen? You would have already passed the thresholds if you are getting goblin ambushes, though ambushes will prevent sieges.

It's possible that you are in an area of the world that is inaccessible to orcs (sometimes everyone gangs up on them in worldgen and such), which would mean no orcs will come and attack you, just like the goblin-inaccessible locations that sometimes come up.
Try my orc mod!

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 10, 2009, 06:08:48 pm »

And there goes another fort. They showed up in a season they shouldn't even have been active in!
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 10, 2009, 08:29:20 pm »

wow... giant wolf spiders = quite deadly...

I've lost two forts in my current project of 'build a large and complex above ground bunker in an evil forest' because they mob my tree cutters and then camp the axes... causing me to grind to a halt and get mobbed by orcs... often riding more of the spiders :P

ahh the joy of fun :D

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 10, 2009, 09:28:00 pm »

I added [CAN_SPEAK] to the orcs after I started a fort.  It was, in fact, in the middle of a siege that killed all but 2 of my dwarves.  After the orcs left, I tried rebuilding.  It went well until I got some orc traders.  After the second set of orc traders, I decided to remove [CAN_SPEAK] from the orcs.  However, now I don't get any.  What should I do to get some orcs to fight my rapidly growing army?
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 11, 2009, 10:08:34 pm »

I...oh god...it..it was horrible...

I had this good little two year fort going... some epic artefacts (such as my 10 K ring :S) nice big marble above ground barracks ect... a ... good military, two champion swordsdwarves... and then.. they came..

They had lots of snipers So I thought 'okay... we'll sit in the barracks let them come up the stairs and kill them' this tactic was going well as the orcs mopped up the dogs... until my squad leader/champion decided it'd be very cool...to jump off my platform... into a horde of orc snipers(i'm actually pretty sure he was shot off but still sounds cooler that way) now normally. I would commend a dwarf for such epic/heroic efforts...however...that one move caused all his lemming like squad mates to follow and become blown apart in a hail of arrows (Literally, there were pieces everywhere... the ground was littered with shattered arrows...) Now... I had lost alot of civilians as they had got locked outside of my last stand point... (the orcs even slaughtered the puppies and children :'( ) ...I had my founding seven (they somehow all got through) all with baisic military training... and my legendary wood crafter... and one War dog... so I sit there a few minutes and think 'okay.. I'll coax the orcs around a corner... and mob them before they can fire'... i turned off persue enemies... and unlocked the doors... and what does my squad do? run out for a nice cold beer... into the sight of the orcs and get blown to bloody pieces...

Was fun as helll but slightly sad :P

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 12, 2009, 01:22:53 am »

Okay, my army wasn't big enough or well trained enough.  The orcs killed about 20 dwarfs including both survivors from the last siege and my new miner.  I think that I was saved by two things.  First I removed [trap_avoid] from the orcs so they got eviscerated while trying to enter the back door.  It didn't work well enough though because they still managed to get into my fortress.  I suppose I need more traps.  Secondly, I had a half bajillion wardogs. 

Rebuilding is going slowly.  I lost most of my legendary workers, so I can't build things very quickly.  On the other hand, I have a vast supply of adamantine so if any of my smiths goes fey I will have an epic artifact of epicness with which to fight off the horde.

I think I have now been running this for for 7 years.  I have something like 700 plump helmets lying around and enough booze to last a decade.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 12, 2009, 08:02:25 am »

Got some Orcs at last on a year and half old fort ! 37 dead dwarfs later I have no one left  :o killed about 3 orcs  ::)

Must dash got orcs to kill(be killed by)
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 37