Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 37

Author Topic: Orcs: More things to kill - Now for DF2010!  (Read 150540 times)

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
Re: Orcs: More things to kill
« Reply #285 on: March 26, 2009, 08:35:13 pm »

Are you kidding? Spider cavalry is the only known counter to bear cavalry!
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 26, 2009, 08:49:01 pm »

"Yeah, you're pretty much fucked now"

But there isn't any bear cavalry in yet. ;)

Nah the main reason why I don't like it, is that it seems a bit cheap fantasy to me, not really like the semi-original DF fantasy race setup. Ah well. It's still fun though.
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

RoboCicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 26, 2009, 10:39:35 pm »

Ah, never mind. After removing can_speak any currently friendly orcs stay friendly, until the next siege rolls in. Then they all turn hostile. Weirdly enough, this also means that they are targeted by the incoming orcs with the seige.

I think they're a bit too hardcore, I'm getting wiped each time a siege occurs. I guess I better invest in a moat!

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 26, 2009, 11:56:12 pm »

I kept the latest versions and just dropped their TRAPAVOID. They're badass enough without it, and I can self-limit myself on traps, thank you very much :P
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 27, 2009, 12:35:33 am »

"Yeah, you're pretty much fucked now"

But there isn't any bear cavalry in yet. ;)

I could add bear cavalry for the next version. Could be fun, in both senses of the word.

Mostly, I added spiders because I wanted to give them mounts that varied their capabilities a bit. Wolves are "generic", elephants can break down doors (plus they are huge and stomp you), and spiders web. There aren't that many other special abilities that you can give to creatures in DF.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 27, 2009, 10:39:30 am »

So, I started a fort with the Orcs mod, trying a new design strategy and an aboveground fort.
I got a new experience in my DF though... I had my first Tantrum Spiral because I didn't set up individual rooms fast enough. The Orcs just kept me inside for a few months.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 04, 2009, 05:36:37 am »

they are so hardcore i had to remove their brains to survive (most of them died almost instantly, but a certain master pikeman has crawled about 20 tiles on sheer badassery). can't afford to have fun yet, must finish project.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

bhamv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 06, 2009, 11:21:27 am »

I also had Orcs show up in strange seasons.  Just now an Orc siege popped up as the Dwarven caravan was making its way towards my fortress.  All the traders managed to get to safety, except for one last pack animal and its merchant, who both got killed.  This, unfortunately, made the entire caravan refuse to trade.

I'm guessing, maybe, it has something to do with the distance the Orcs have to travel to get to my location, they don't make it until one season later.  This is completely guesswork though, I don't know if it's true.  But assuming it is, could I change the Orcs' active seasons to, say, winter and spring, that way at least the Dwarven caravan should be left untouched?  Because right now there's no real pattern to when the Orcs show up, and they've managed to attack each caravan at least once.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 06, 2009, 02:05:21 pm »

I also had Orcs show up in strange seasons.  Just now an Orc siege popped up as the Dwarven caravan was making its way towards my fortress.  All the traders managed to get to safety, except for one last pack animal and its merchant, who both got killed.  This, unfortunately, made the entire caravan refuse to trade.

I'm guessing, maybe, it has something to do with the distance the Orcs have to travel to get to my location, they don't make it until one season later.  This is completely guesswork though, I don't know if it's true.  But assuming it is, could I change the Orcs' active seasons to, say, winter and spring, that way at least the Dwarven caravan should be left untouched?  Because right now there's no real pattern to when the Orcs show up, and they've managed to attack each caravan at least once.

Did you have events (ambushes or other sieges) the previous season? The only time I've seen Orcs show up out of season was in a spring when there was a goblin siege during the winter, which looked like it "pushed" the orc siege one season ahead. Not much you can do about that, unfortunately (other than going out and defending the caravan, of course).
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 06, 2009, 03:17:10 pm »

For fun I modding in Wargs (dire wolf++) with orcs... I have yet to have a fort survive... maybe I made them a little too tough  - though to be fair, Skeleton Dire Wolves have killed me a couple of times too.

(wargs spoiled below)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Grath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 06, 2009, 08:34:49 pm »

Holy CHRIST those orcs are fast  :o
By the time I see them charging at my gates it's too late to close them!

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 06, 2009, 08:36:59 pm »

What does "CAN_LEARN" do for wargs?  They don't use weapons, armor or shields and presumably don't wrestle. Just give them stats or something?
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

PsychoBuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 07, 2009, 01:19:15 am »

What does everyone think of these sprites for the orc military?  Sphr style.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sorry, they don't look orcy enough. So I made a few adjustments for my use.

Grath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 07, 2009, 11:21:00 am »

Are Orcs [BUILDINGDESTROYER:1] or [BUILDINGDESTROYER:2]? They wouldn't path to my (rock) doors to smash them when I locked the orcs out.

Upon looking at the raws... They don't have ANY form of building destroyer? That seems un-orclike. A locked door should mean 'Smash', not 'Where are the dwarves?'

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 07, 2009, 12:14:36 pm »

No idea what Can Learn will do for Wargs - I had no idea what it did in the first place, i just threw it on there to see if it would make them "smarter" - I was thinking to do Cav Civ (Tolkien Wargs could speak - not sure if I want Warg traders though...).

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 37