Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Galena...  (Read 7224 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Galena...
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2008, 06:13:55 pm »

You could use lead "pipes" to bring water into your fortress. Hey it worked for the Romans!

Actually the excessive use of lead and lead-based compounds is part of what lead to the fall of the Roman Empire.

Bud-um-ching :D
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2008, 03:20:10 am »

Wasn't the massive Roman hot-spring bath at Bath (oi, what a name) completely lined with a layer of lead?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2008, 08:15:53 am »

It is presently impossible to turn anything into anything in a mod by any means other than smelting. smelting cows and forging milk and all that.
Heh. back to the chinese again. Forged milk contains melanin? ;)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2008, 11:31:56 pm »

You don't "smelt" asbestos as it isn't a metal.
Mining toxic substances isn't dwarf enough. We smelt them! ;D

cbfog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2008, 01:24:22 am »

Maybe you could just build a giant monolith of lead and come back later and see if the rhesus macaques had evolved into sentient beings.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2008, 11:18:05 am »

Build a lead zeppelin above your fortress, complete with a luxurious gondola and a mooring mast.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2008, 12:38:32 pm »

Build a lead zeppelin above your fortress, complete with a luxurious gondola and a mooring mast.

Hey mythbusters proved lead zeppelins could fly.

You could use lead "pipes" to bring water into your fortress. Hey it worked for the Romans!

Actually the excessive use of lead and lead-based compounds is part of what lead to the fall of the Roman Empire.

Bud-um-ching :D

I thought my post lead that on..  :P
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 03:15:39 pm by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2008, 03:42:30 pm »

I thought my post lead that on..  :P

It did.

unobtaniumman

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop squashing Mr. Saturn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2008, 06:51:00 pm »

Also: I just noticed that galena's chemical symbol is PbS.   

That's nothing, Realgar's chemical symbol is AsS.
Time Kitten: Brown oceans are typically blotched with red for no apparent reason. I say asthetics.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2008, 07:11:13 pm »

Ahah.  Is funny 'cus formula spell out 'Ass' and contains Arsenic.  Yeah, realgar is the shit.  Without a doubt.  If only the Romans had thought that made they're wine taste better instead of Lead.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2008, 09:59:08 pm »

Just make absbestos a thread-metal. You mine raw-asbestos and then extract thread from the rock.

Also, if you really want more complicated reactions you can just make every metal use the [WAFERS] token. This makes all metal 1/3 it's normal bar size. It also slows down generally all metal production but it will give you the smaller sizes you want. By altering the smelting reactions you can make your general smelting more fine.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2008, 04:26:08 am »

Ahah.  Is funny 'cus formula spell out 'Ass' and contains Arsenic.  Yeah, realgar is the shit.  Without a doubt.  If only the Romans had thought that made they're wine taste better instead of Lead.

Well I'm unsure about the Romans, but...

In the Victorian era, "arsenic" (colourless, crystalline, soluble "white arsenic") was mixed with vinegar and chalk and eaten by women to improve the complexion of their faces, making their skin paler to show they did not work in the fields. Arsenic was also rubbed into the faces and arms of women to "improve their complexion".

And of course over the course of time Mercury has also been included in certain medicinal mixtures. It's suspected that Abraham Lincoln, for a number of years, took a "medicinal" concoction which contained mercury. Some people believe this was a large contributor to the volatile mood swings he experienced.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2008, 05:34:52 am »

It's really unfair that something as awesome-looking as mercury is so poisonous.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2008, 07:50:55 am »

I've been to Bath.
I didn't go in the baths, but I went there.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2008, 04:15:56 pm »

Unfortunately, asbestos as a metal just doesn't work. I mean, you can't really "smelt" it into wafers that would be useful in any way; you can't really make metallic items out of the stuff. Asbestos shield? Hell no.

It could be used for cloth or some kind of semi-solid stuff, though. Granted, it's not exactly safe to use.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5