Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Galena...  (Read 7225 times)

cecilkorik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Galena...
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2008, 04:30:16 pm »

Uranium ore = pitchblende (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitchblende)

It's already in the game, it just doesn't do anything interesting (yet?)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2008, 06:22:55 pm »

Now I want uranium ore...  No nuclear weapons, just some light generation, radiation poisoning, oh, and something really bad if you put more than one bar in a bin

1) Like what's-his-face said, uranium ore (pitchblende) is in the game already.

2) Uranium doesn't give off visible light as far as I know.

3) Natural pitchblende generally contains a rather low percentage concentration of Uranium Dioxide. I don't even know how radioactive it would be. Probably not substantially whatsoever.

4) Dwarves can't smelt uranium. Even if they had the ability to extract enough UO2 from pitchblende (which they probably wouldn't be able to do), there's no way in hell they'd be able to smelt it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2008, 12:11:06 am »

Planets with uranium below a certain age can form natural nuclear reactors, as the uranium-235 hasn't decayed to sub-criticality yet.

U-235 is created via the r-process, so it follows that the "enrichment clock" starts during the supernova where the r-process occurs, and consequently the level of enrichment of a planet's uranium is dependent on the age of the r-process ejecta captured by the planet during formation plus the age of the planet itself.

I don't know whether different r-process parameters produce uranium of differing enrichment, although it is true that not all r-processes are created equal -- different r-process parameters produce different heavy elements.

Earth at one time had young enough uranium to fission naturally, and it in fact happend at a place called Oklo around 1.5 billion years ago thanks to an underground stream that acted as a neutron moderator as it passed through a fractured vein of uranium ore.

@MuonDecay:
If you've gotten good at building forts there's not much fun to be had in safety.  Heh, maybe you could forge the One Goblin Ring and they all come after you like an army of Gollums.  That would be fun.
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2008, 08:42:49 pm »

With what little I know of modding it's pretty simple to edit in some reactions and two new materials.

Smelt Pitchblende would give you Uranium Bars, and then you could 'Refine Uranium' on several bars to give Refined Uranium.

Mod in those two reactions and substances, then define something cool about Uranium, like it has a really low flashpoint and melting point. Then when/if vermin got into your barrels, boom. Look up nuclear catsplosion.

Modders, help! I call upon your knowledge!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2008, 09:06:11 pm »

Make Lead toys for all the little Elven boys and girls to play with.

They're dwarves, not Chinese toymakers.
I think he's saying "poison elf children with toxic toys!"  Of course, I don't like elves, so it could just be me.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2008, 09:10:10 pm »

Make Lead toys for all the little Elven boys and girls to play with.

They're dwarves, not Chinese toymakers.
I think he's saying "poison elf children with toxic toys!"  Of course, I don't like elves, so it could just be me.

You are not alone. While I prefer a more bloody method, this poisoning of the youth may, in the end, lead to destroying an entire elven generation. Perhaps all the elves.

Export lead in mass quantities.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2008, 09:55:27 pm »

Yeah, pitchblende would be harmless compared to something like cinnabar. People die *mining* that stuff.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2008, 12:42:21 am »

I don't think there's much Toady can do about that unless he multiplies all bar counts by some excessive number.

Also: Why does artificial electrum have to have the same ratio of gold:silver as naturally-occurring type (which probably varies a lot anyway)?

I agree that the ore ratios are whacked, but I think it's just something we'll have to live with, probably for a long time.

The problem with smelting ore is just how you can cheat the hell out of the system by acting like tetrahedrite/galena count as 100% Valuable Metal Ore.

I don't know, he could just have each 'bar' count as 100 'points' of the material and track it in percent of a bar remaining. You smelt silver bar and gold bar to electrum, it uses 25% of a silver bar and 75% of a gold bar to make 1 electrum bar. So you really need 1 silver bar and 4 gold bars to get 5 bars of electrum with no remaining material. (I think I did that math right, I'm sleepy..)

I realize thats probably extremely complicated to code in, but I figure he already tracks wear on food and items so perhaps bars could have a 'durability' which determines how much material is left for reactions.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2008, 06:51:07 pm »

He already CAN track fractions of bars.
Problem is that the alloy-from-ore function does not.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2008, 08:04:06 pm »

3) Natural pitchblende generally contains a rather low percentage concentration of Uranium Dioxide. I don't even know how radioactive it would be. Probably not substantially whatsoever.

Uranium could have the [WAFER] tag, like adamantine.  That makes it take about three times as many units of the metal to make an object.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2008, 11:12:05 pm »

Can someone mod in Asbestos, please?

You could smelt it into cloth.  ;D

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2008, 06:56:51 pm »

Can someone mod in Asbestos, please?

You could smelt it into cloth.  ;D

Thread, actually, since cloth can have quality modifiers if made by a weaver.
Just so I remember

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2008, 06:14:21 am »

You could use lead "pipes" to bring water into your fortress. Hey it worked for the Romans!
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2008, 07:00:12 am »

You don't "smelt" asbestos as it isn't a metal. It is, however, naturally-occurring, so its inclusion wouldn't really be off-base. I don't know how rare it is, though.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2008, 08:51:34 am »

You don't "smelt" asbestos as it isn't a metal. It is, however, naturally-occurring, so its inclusion wouldn't really be off-base. I don't know how rare it is, though.

It is presently impossible to turn anything into anything in a mod by any means other than smelting. smelting cows and forging milk and all that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5