Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Galena...  (Read 7236 times)

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
Re: Galena...
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 05:10:41 am »

Much like the OP, I make bins and barrels out of the leftover lead.  I've got piles of lead bars stored in lead bins...   :)

I'll just stud the hell out of everything not nailed down when I want to get rid of it.  It might be an idea to set up a magma forge which is disallowed to everyone except nooby metalcrafters / blacksmiths, and set it to repeatedly produce bins and trinkets.  Then when you get a peasant or soap maker or whatever arrive, turn on their metalcrafting/blacksmithing labour and let them get a bit of practice in (and more importantly, give them a chance of getting a more interesting Mood).
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 06:23:01 am »

Ahhh so that's why nobody ever showed up to trade with or siege me... My reliance on the finder led me to settle on a small isolated island continent without realizing it.

I did have magma, a brook, and flux, though.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 07:08:45 am »

Eh, I've always considered that sort of an exploit. After all, a chunk of galena doesn't actually have a full bar's worth of silver in it, yet somehow it acts as such during the smelting and alloying process... somehow magically destroying the copper in the process.

Well Toady specifically put it in so it should be kosher

Do bear in mind that real life galena probably doesn't have a 50% chance of yeilding a silver bar. And the alloys are screwy to begin with

"Specifically put it in"? No. He specifically put in the ability to smelt alloys directly from ore instead of turning them into bars first. The ability to smelt alloys using ore containing, say, 20% silver as if it were 100% silver is definitely a bit of unintended behavior.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 09:50:43 am »

Make an aboveground fallout shelter by making walls of lead, surrounded by walls of stone. Bonus points if you somehow carve it out of a mountain is such a way that no constructed stone walls are used, or at least kept to a minimum. Airlock style entryways, with stone doors on the inside and outside, with a lead door in the middle.

Even more bonus points if your fallout shelter is also a temple to Armok.

Benitosimies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 12:19:32 pm »

I would have said cages for cage traps, then put them all over the place.

But no goblins.

Make the biggest bridge possible out of it. Arrange statues tastefully around it.
Something really needs to be done about ice. At the moment it's like some kind of Pitch Black threat where everyone dies at sunset. Feel free to substitute that film reference with one without Vin Diesel.
--Skizelo

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2008, 12:36:00 pm »

If you make bins out of lead, then you can use them to store all of your riches and they won't scatter during adventure mode.

Make some vaults deep in the earth filled with silver trinkets in lead boxes, just for the challenge of getting them with an adventure.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2008, 01:16:40 pm »

Rose gold is made with gold and copper, not lead.

Meant electrum
Electrum's gold and silver, and the OP's wanting to know what to do with the lead they're getting from the galena. Electrum doesn't do jack to deal with the lead (and provides no value gain over gold and silver anyway)
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2008, 02:42:27 pm »

The trick with electrum is that it can be made directly from galena ore (not bars), assuming you have some gold handy. That basically "guarantees" that you get the silver out of the galena. You can do the same thing with tetrahedrite. And I agree, it doesn't make much sense.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

CaveBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2008, 08:04:11 pm »

Do bear in mind that real life galena probably doesn't have a 50% chance of yeilding a silver bar.

Well, according to wikipedia:

Galena is the natural mineral form of lead sulfide. It is the most important lead ore mineral.
Galena deposits often contain significant amounts of silver as included silver sulfide mineral phases or as limited solid solution within the galena structure. These argentiferous galenas have long been the most important ore of silver in mining.

So, galena gives you lots of lead and some silver.  It seems like Toady got it right.

Also: I just noticed that galena's chemical symbol is PbS.   
Praise the Miners! You have discovered an Underground Cavern!
You have struck Cave Bacon!

Zero Ziat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 08:33:32 pm »

Make lead bullets. And then guns.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2008, 08:47:08 pm »

I have to second the fallout-shelter idea.

If you were feeling really fancy, you could mock up a nuclear reactor...graphite and pitcheblende blocks for the core materials, Lead shielding, fill it with water...

I might have to try that, sometime.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2008, 09:05:51 pm »

Electrum's gold and silver, and the OP's wanting to know what to do with the lead they're getting from the galena. Electrum doesn't do jack to deal with the lead (and provides no value gain over gold and silver anyway)

If he smelted galena and gold nuggets, he would gain value even if the lead is destroyed

Natural electrum is 70-90% gold

The current bar system is what messes with this stuff. Alloys aren't really even close to what % of what ore they should be
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 09:09:41 pm by Pilsu »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2008, 09:23:52 pm »

I don't think there's much Toady can do about that unless he multiplies all bar counts by some excessive number.

Also: Why does artificial electrum have to have the same ratio of gold:silver as naturally-occurring type (which probably varies a lot anyway)?

I agree that the ore ratios are whacked, but I think it's just something we'll have to live with, probably for a long time.

The problem with smelting ore is just how you can cheat the hell out of the system by acting like tetrahedrite/galena count as 100% Valuable Metal Ore.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2008, 11:16:10 pm »

I have to second the fallout-shelter idea.

If you were feeling really fancy, you could mock up a nuclear reactor...graphite and pitcheblende blocks for the core materials, Lead shielding, fill it with water...

I might have to try that, sometime.

Hey, that could be fun... I wonder if my civ had access to those materials so I could trade for them.

Come to think of it, isolated from threats that continent is a good place to build senselessly difficult/awesome monuments without threat of invasion disrupting it... without having to turn sieges and stuff off in the init settings.

If I reclaim the site before the new version comes out and borks saves, I'll have to try that.

uioped1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2008, 03:52:20 pm »

Now I want uranium ore...  No nuclear weapons, just some light generation, radiation poisoning, oh, and something really bad if you put more than one bar in a bin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5