Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mercenaries 2: World in Flames  (Read 5685 times)

Scorpian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames
« on: September 13, 2008, 02:04:26 pm »

ITT we talk about Mercs 2.

In Mercenaries 2, you are a mercenary. You blow stuff up.

The staple of the series is blowing stuff up. There is a wide range of air strikes just as there was in the first game. Just as in the first game, you can blow any building up.

There are many vehicle types in Mercs2. Cars, tanks, helicopters, and boats (new to the series). Planes were removed from the game for god knows why. I'll let wikipedia do the rest of the talking.

Players have the ability to build a Private Military Company and recruit mercenaries with it. There are three mercenary NPCs that may be recruited: Eva Navarro, a mechanic; Ewan, a helicopter pilot who has the ability to pick up valuable objects you may encounter and also extract you to various unlockable locations if necessary; and Misha, a bomber pilot, who can be hired as your source for airstrikes. Support items also have to be purchased, or rewarded, to the player prior to use. The player can no longer just request for the support item. The player now has to purchase the support from a faction outpost, which will then be placed into the players stockpile, in order for them to be delievered to the field. It's very similar to the original system but instead of paying for the support as the player needs it, it's paid for in advance.

In Mercenaries 2 there are 6 factions. Universal Petrolem, P.L.A.V., the Pirates, the Allies (USA), China, and the VZ Army. The VZ army is the equivalent to the NK in Mercenaries 1 (always hostile, unjoinable). The Chinese and Allies appear in the second half of the game.

You receive and do missions for each faction to receive information about your target, Solano. Kind of like the ongoing objective in STALKER of killing Strelok except
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Missions often start off with reccomending you some gear to get, but usually it's impossible to get said gear because it's not unlocked/the faction who gives it to you is super hostile.

Mission structure in Mercs 2 is fairly linear, and it has been criticized for this. Missions are usually either:
  • Deliver these physics objects in the back of this truck while getting shot at without losing them.
  • Capture this outpost.
  • Test this vehicle for us.
  • Capture this HVT.
  • Rescue this dude for us.
  • Destroy this building for us

The pirates are notorious for the first mission type. And it's FUCKING ANNOYING.

Now for the characters. More wikipedia copypasta.

There are 3 characters in Mercs2. Each bring their own special ability to the table.

I'll start with Mattias. I'm sure this picture will show you how bad ass he is.

Mattias Nilsson

Born in Arvidsjaur, Sweden. After participating in Sweden's Arctic rangers, Mattias was involved in criminal activity and was a member of a local biker gang. He takes pleasure in large explosions and is known to start a fight. After escaping from a Swedish prison, he became a mercenary to satisfy his thirst for destruction and money. Mattias is also featured on the game's cover.

Special Ability: Regenerates health faster than the other two characters

Chris Jacobs

Born in San Jose, California. Born and raised in a military family, Chris also joined the Army when he was older, where he was accepted into the Delta Force. During his service, Chris' mind became more and more darkened as he saw his commanding officers show unethical behavior towards Chris' fellow troops. When his tour ended, Chris left the Army and became a mercenary.

Special Ability: Big black and scary (can carry more ammo than the other two characters.)

Jennifer Mui

STUPID BITCH NOBODY CARES ABOUT. RUNS FASTER THAN THE OTHER TWO OR SOME SHIT. SHE'S NOT USEFUL AT ALL.

And now for some screenshots and vidyas.

Trailer
Oh no you didn't
Civillian abuse

GO BUY THIS GAME AND DISCUSS.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 07:25:15 pm by Scorpian »

Omath Erius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mercenaries 2: World in Flames
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 03:19:40 pm »

Planes were removed from the game for god knows why.

Because you already have a bomber, and access to helicopters.

the Allies (USA),
No, not USA. Allies.

As in The Allied Nations. The United Nations.

Mission structure in Mercs 2 is fairly linear, and it has been criticized for this. Missions are usually either:
  • Deliver these physics objects in the back of this truck while getting shot at without losing them.
  • Capture this outpost.
  • Test this vehicle for us.
  • Capture this HVT.
  • Rescue this dude for us.
Is there really any other kind of mission?

You also forgot "Destroy Building"

((I'm not asking if there really is only that for missions, I know thats it. I was asking if there was really anything else someone could make a mission out of that doesn't fall under those categories.))

Jennifer Mui

STUPID BITCH NOBODY CARES ABOUT. RUNS FASTER THAN THE OTHER TWO OR SOME SHIT. SHE'S GAY.
[/center]

Anyway, thats my nitpicking.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 09:38:19 am by Omath Erius »
fhalkgsuehgvnl gherghlirhb

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 03:28:55 pm »

The Oh no song is so brilliant, it approaches "Still alive" in awesomeness.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 04:01:40 pm »

Jennifer Mui

STUPID BITCH NOBODY CARES ABOUT. RUNS FASTER THAN THE OTHER TWO OR SOME SHIT. SHE'S GAY.

And what does her sexual preference have to do with anything?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 05:52:22 pm »

Hey, what's wrong with lesbians?  I like lesbians...

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 07:19:44 pm »

This forum needs a block feature.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 02:41:19 am »

I can run Crysis on medium-high settings, yet this game lags like a bitch with 640x400, the lowest distance view, and the lowest graphics. Sounds like EA did another shitty job of porting a game from Xbox to PC.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 03:47:57 am »

I saw the adverts on TV, but all the trollish asshattery aside, the full version of "Oh No You Didn't"  Is hilarious.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 08:09:20 am »

This forum needs a block feature.

█ █ █ █

Alt + 219

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 08:15:33 am »

Hey, what's wrong with lesbians?  I like lesbians...
Who doesn't?
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Scorpian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 08:37:02 am »

I can run Crysis on medium-high settings, yet this game lags like a bitch with 640x400, the lowest distance view, and the lowest graphics. Sounds like EA did another shitty job of porting a game from Xbox to PC.

Your problem is:

Cryengine 2 =/= mercenaries 2 engine.

You can't compare how it's going to run just because crysis runs well.

P.S. update your drivers.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 11:08:41 am »

Your problem is:

Cryengine 2 =/= mercenaries 2 engine.

You can't compare how it's going to run just because crysis runs well.

P.S. update your drivers.

Doesnt matter, crysis is still much more demanding both graphically and from it's physics, the mercs 2 engine was made specifically for consoles and EA didn't care enough to optimize it for PC so that's what we've got, a bad port.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

zac4213

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 12:02:39 pm »

The sad thing is, Pandemic didn't even port Mercs 2. They hired a different company (who has a history of bad ports.) to do the job.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 08:36:22 pm »

How's the multiplayer?
All they had to do to make Mercs 2 is add split screen to the original Mercs and slap a '2' on it.

Omath Erius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 08:51:29 pm »

How's the multiplayer?
All they had to do to make Mercs 2 is add split screen to the original Mercs and slap a '2' on it.

No split-screen, online only, i'm afraid.

Barring that, multiplayer IS singeplayer, as in, a second player joins and leaves at any time, and the only thing that changes is you have an extra buddy blowing stuff up with you. The most obvious benefit is having someone man a turret of a vehicle while the other one drives it, (since the AI is a terrible shot at high speeds), or providing support with a vehicle of their own from a distance away.

One of the more notable (noted?) features is that one person can get in a land vehicle, one can get in a helicopter, and the helicopter pilot can carry his buddy anywhere with the winch.

fhalkgsuehgvnl gherghlirhb
Pages: [1] 2