Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 95

Author Topic: Cool things you just noticed in DF  (Read 247335 times)

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Cool things you just noticed in DF
« Reply #660 on: August 24, 2009, 10:57:05 pm »

Say hello to your basic linear dragon hunter!

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: August 25, 2009, 12:13:44 am »

I just recently ducked into a cave as a lone Human Pikeman, looking to slay a dragon for a quest. When I met the Dragon, I realized I was too injured, and retreated to recuperate. When I returned to the cave, I went to the spot where the Dragon was, only to find a pool of blood there... a few moments later, a few messages popped up saying that the Dragon had fainted, regained consciousness, and then fainted again. Confused, I continued to search for the Dragon, finding more blood, and several dead cave-dwellers all around. Shortly thereafter, a message came saying that the Dragon had bled to death.

I searched and searched the cave, to no avail, and decided to retire the adventurer to look into Legends to figure out what had happened. Apparently, another adventurer (a wandering Human Ranger) had entered the cave, confronted the Dragon, and slain it before I could!

What nerve... Still, I guess competitive dragon-slaying is bound to happen when the work for Heroes starts to get sparse!
What the hell? Are you serious?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: August 25, 2009, 12:17:11 am »

Wow. You sure it wasn't already wounded? Did you see this ranger?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: August 25, 2009, 11:16:52 am »

I just recently ducked into a cave as a lone Human Pikeman, looking to slay a dragon for a quest. When I met the Dragon, I realized I was too injured, and retreated to recuperate. When I returned to the cave, I went to the spot where the Dragon was, only to find a pool of blood there... a few moments later, a few messages popped up saying that the Dragon had fainted, regained consciousness, and then fainted again. Confused, I continued to search for the Dragon, finding more blood, and several dead cave-dwellers all around. Shortly thereafter, a message came saying that the Dragon had bled to death.

I searched and searched the cave, to no avail, and decided to retire the adventurer to look into Legends to figure out what had happened. Apparently, another adventurer (a wandering Human Ranger) had entered the cave, confronted the Dragon, and slain it before I could!

What nerve... Still, I guess competitive dragon-slaying is bound to happen when the work for Heroes starts to get sparse!
What the hell? Are you serious?

I went to the Travel screen, moved away, and back to heal, and then returned. Upon arriving at the cave room where I found the Dragon the first time, he was gone, and I never saw the Ranger or Dragon. The only direct evidence I saw was a lot of blood that wasn't there before, a few dead Giant Rats and Antmen, and the tail end of the Combat Announcements, as the Dragon died.

In Legends, the Dragon wasn't wounded prior to the encounter, and the Ranger's attack was in the same year as I was adventuring... I can only assume that the Ranger either came in while I was on the Travel map, or perhaps had just finished fighting the Dragon when I returned to the Cave.

Still, what a game... the wonders never cease!

EDIT: When I started my next Fortress, I got the announcement that the world had passed into the "Age of Heroes" too, which I'm assuming had to do with the slaying of said Dragon.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 11:22:28 am by Solifuge »

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: August 25, 2009, 11:28:40 am »

Lovely.  The great, epic battle of your age occured, and you were off getting your wounds tended.  I can't imagine that sits well with you.  :-\
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: August 25, 2009, 05:51:59 pm »

Find the Ranger, kill him, then kill his family, then kill everyone nearby. As long as there are at least a couple mega-beasts left, you can bring the age back, then kill the beasts to take new glory!
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

durt101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: August 26, 2009, 11:09:34 pm »

Maybe this has been mentioned...
My mayor is named Kol Kasbenbol, and he's our trader and a legendary leatherworker. I've had him and another guy sewing images on things, and most of the images involving dwarves surrounding dwarves are about his ascension to our leadership.
But on a lot of other image-ified bags, there's him surrounded by, admiring, and in one case embracing donkeys. On his pref screen it says he likes them for their stubborness. That's pretty cool.
Oh, proof:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
But crap, I can't find the one where there are two donkeys and he's embracing them. That cracked me up.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 11:22:20 pm by durt101 »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: August 27, 2009, 12:01:48 am »

My dorf can hold grudges against one another. They'll leave the break area if there grudge show up, or get there first.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: August 27, 2009, 02:44:09 pm »

But crap, I can't find the one where there are two donkeys and he's embracing them. That cracked me up.
Can't remember where or who said it, but one of their engraving dwarfs like
Imaging what was appearing on that guys walls....

Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

durt101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: August 27, 2009, 07:27:17 pm »

Nice! This dark fortress has a common theme in it (they worship the demon Mudo Deathurn the Oblivion of Parching).
I just didn't know this happened.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: August 28, 2009, 04:12:04 am »

As my SoF adventurer I got a cool name. After making some 50 elves die a horribly death I got title "Fire of Furnances." Cool!
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: August 28, 2009, 04:15:20 am »

First time I noticed this.

Even your adventurers get stuck on spear-type weapons if goblins or orcs kill them.

This leads to hilarious, if gruesome mental images, like the thought of being impaled on a pitchfork.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Eurus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: August 30, 2009, 04:47:15 am »

fish can pull out arrows/bolts that get stuck in them

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: August 30, 2009, 04:50:50 am »

DF Mode -
If you have a close nit community and someone has a grudge on another. And they are having a break at the same time, they will get the emotion of.
'Talked with someone annoying Lately...'
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: August 30, 2009, 06:02:39 pm »

Can't remember where or who said it, but one of their engraving dwarfs like
Imaging what was appearing on that guys walls....

I had a mayor that loved buckets. I mean, loved buckets. Like every mandate was to make buckets, and the export of buckets was forbidden... best mayor ever, pretty much. Easy to please.

Then, some carpenter went fey and made an artifact wooden bucket. On the image was a picture of my mayor, surrounded by buckets.

Makes me wish that every bucket in the image had that same picture on itself, leading to a quite awesome Planepacked-style fractal image.

On topic, I recently noticed that if vomit and blood are in the same tile, the result is a brown mess. So, colors mix in DF.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 95